Nicknames for Hermione

See the results of this poll: Which of my favorites?

Respondents: 25 (This poll is closed)

• Ina : 3 (6%)
  • Ione : 6 (13%)
  • Rona : 1 (2%)
  • Hennie : 7 (15%)
  • Iona : 2 (4%)
  • Remy : 8 (17%)
  • Mimi : 9 (19%)
  • Minnie: 11 (23%)

My favorite is [name_f]Maya[/name_f]/[name_f]Maia[/name_f]. It’s a very obvious sound in the name (so it’s not like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]/[name_f]Peggy[/name_f] where you’re left wondering how they got there) and takes a highly unusual name like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and makes it much more familiar. I’m a big fan of unusual names with common nicknames or vice versa- I think it gives the child options. If she wants to fit in more in middle school, she can be [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. If she prefers to stand out in college, she can be [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. She can switch between the two when it suits her and I really like that idea.

My favorites: [name_u]Mio[/name_u] (Mah-ee-oh), [name_f]Maia[/name_f] like the pp said, [name_f]Mona[/name_f], [name_f]Enna[/name_f], [name_f]Eri[/name_f], None (noh-nee) / [name_f]Nona[/name_f]

My favorites are [name_f]Ina[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], and [name_f]Hennie[/name_f]. Of those I think [name_f]Ina[/name_f] goes best with [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].

I always think nicknames will flow naturally (my name is [name_f]Olimpia[/name_f] and somehow I ended up nicknamed [name_f]Loli[/name_f] within the family) but I think something like Mione seems like the most natural nickname.

My faves are [name_u]Hero[/name_u] and [name_f]Iona[/name_f].

EDIT: I also like Honey!

I have no idea the list of possible nicknames could be that long… many I’ve just never thought of, lol. I like [name_u]Mio[/name_u], [name_f]Honey[/name_f] and Mione.

My favorites are [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_u]Remy[/name_u], and [name_f]Maia[/name_f]. I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] and [name_f]Maia[/name_f] come more naturally though.

I absolutely love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]! My favourite is [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], although I’m thinking of that as future cat nn, so second favourite would be [name_u]Hero[/name_u] or [name_f]Nora[/name_f] maybe. I also like [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_f]Rhea[/name_f], [name_f]Hera[/name_f], [name_f]Nia[/name_f], and seeing [name_f]Enya[/name_f], I’d love [name_f]Enna[/name_f], or from [name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Aura[/name_f]. Actually I think [name_f]Enna[/name_f] and [name_f]Aura[/name_f] would be among my favourites. To be honest I don’t think much about sibling nicknames (unless they’re indistinguishable and used a lot) so [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] with any nn goes great with [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] in my opinion.

I love [name_f]Honey[/name_f] and [name_f]Hennie[/name_f]! I also think you could get away with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] if you’d like.

From your shortlist, my favourites are [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Iona[/name_f], as they feel intuitive, but also strong enough to work with sister [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].
From your long list, I like [name_f]Maia[/name_f] (my favourite [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] nickname) and [name_f]Hera[/name_f]/[name_u]Hero[/name_u], as they feel cool and very obvious, and they all sound really good with [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].

Nicknames typically bring out the etymological purist in me so right off the bat I’ll say [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Rhea[/name_f], [name_f]Mirena[/name_f], [name_f]Enya[/name_f], [name_f]Noor[/name_f], [name_f]Erin[/name_f], [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] etc. etc. just can’t work in my opinion. If they could be sisters they shouldn’t be abbreviations of each other.

I’d probably call her something silly and sweet like [name_f]Mim[/name_f]/[name_u]Min[/name_u]/[name_m]Nim[/name_m]. I like the idea of [name_f]Hera[/name_f] and [name_f]Io[/name_f] a lot though, they work really well.

I love the clunkier ones like [name_m]Ernie[/name_m]/[name_m]Hermie[/name_m], [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Henny[/name_f]. Ermi isn’t on your list either :slight_smile: so cute omg.

[name_f]Maia[/name_f] still gets my vote. it’s obvious and natural for me.

My favourite (especially with [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]) is [name_f]Ione[/name_f].
I like that it’s a Greek name with a colour association, like [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], and that it’s a nature name like [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]. I also find it a beautiful name. I like [name_f]Iona[/name_f], too, but it doesn’t feel quite as natural a sibling to [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].

[name_f]Mona[/name_f] and [name_m]Hermie[/name_m] are sweet, too.
I like [name_f]Hermia[/name_f], though that’s not on your list.

[name_f]Maia[/name_f] is the least teasable. Most feel overly fantastical and don’t make sense. It’s a hard name to nickname, I wouldn’t bank on many of those sticking other than [name_m]Hermie[/name_m] - which is quite awful. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is fine on its own I would think.

I tend to like nicknames that have a disassociation and association with the name at the same time so I was thinking nicknames like: [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]

[name_f]Mini[/name_f], which goes with the mione part of the name

[name_f]Elle[/name_f]/ [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], which go with the Her part of the name

Innie/ Inny (Pronounced in-E), which goes with the mione part of the name

[name_u]Mio[/name_u], which kind of reminds me of the name [name_m]Milo[/name_m]

Ne/Ni (Pronounced knee)

You could also stick with Her and have a nickname meaning her in a different language. For example:

[name_f]Sia[/name_f], which is in Esperanto

[name_f]Ona[/name_f], which is Turkish

Tema, which is Estonian

Thanks everyone. I won’t be stressing the nickname too much, but it’s great to know there are many workable options that I like.

After reading the feedback, my favorites are probably [name_f]Ina[/name_f], [name_f]Ione[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Rona[/name_f], [name_f]Iona[/name_f], and [name_u]Remy[/name_u] in that order.

[name_f]Hennie[/name_f] for sure, it’s pretty without overshadowing the full name, which I feel a lot of the other options do

Update: I’ve added a poll.

My favourites are [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Nia[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Marnie[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Erin[/name_f], but from your poll, I voted [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]!