NICKNAMES FOR HOLLAND

just found the name [name]Holland[/name]…love it for a girl…but what would potential nn’s be…?

Obviously, [name]Holly[/name] :slight_smile: And maybe [name]Lana[/name]?

[name]Do[/name] [name]Holland[/name] have any significance to you? Have you been to the Netherlands? [name]Holland[/name], MI? [name]Just[/name] wondering…I, myself, would hesitate to use an obvious place name (as opposed to [name]Austin[/name], or something) if I hadn’t even been there before. I think there is a charm to the name [name]Holland[/name], but I’m from [name]Holland[/name], MI :slight_smile:

of course [name]Holly[/name]…can’t use it - I guess I could have mentioned that.

[name]Holland[/name]:

Holl, Holls, Holla, [name]Olly[/name], Lan, [name]Lanny[/name], [name]Land[/name], Landy and [name]Ann[/name].

I actually really like this name! Congrats on picking out a really cute baby name!

[name]Holland[/name] -

Holl
Holls
[name]Olly[/name]/[name]Olly[/name]
Lan/[name]Lane[/name]/[name]Lanny[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]/[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Andie[/name]

I am really interested in this American need for a long name versus a nickname. We would just give the child the name it is to be called. What is with this nickname obsession? [name]Do[/name] you think you need a formal name for job applications or something? Confused.

Jakki - I don’t think all Americans feel the need to nickname, but it does happen to be a popular thing on Nameberry. In this case the poster likes [name]Holland[/name] and wants to know nicknames for it. I think it’s because it gives you flexibility within the name. My name is [name]Lisa[/name] [name]Paige[/name], some call me [name]Lisa[/name], others call me [name]Lee[/name] or [name]Lise[/name], while my guy friends call me LP. [name]Plenty[/name] of American’s give their kids nicknames for full names ([name]Jake[/name] was 125 this year, [name]Alex[/name] was 83, [name]Jack[/name] was 42, [name]Liam[/name] was 49, [name]Sophie[/name] was 65, [name]Molly[/name] was 92). But it just happens to be the case that at the moment the trends favor longer names ([name]William[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Alexander[/name]). I love when I find a name that I love in full that also has a cute nickname ([name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name], [name]Harriet[/name] nn [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kit[/name]) because it’s just double the fun.

Onto the question at stake, [name]Holland[/name] is cute, and I actually know a [name]GUY[/name] named [name]Holland[/name]. He didn’t go by any nicknames. Some cute ones for a girl:

[name]Holly[/name], [name]Lindy[/name], Landy, Holla, Holls, [name]Ollie[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!