Nicknames for Ishmael

My husband really likes the name [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m], and it is beginning sound nice to me; however, I wonder about what nicknames [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] would end up with. I really don’t like the idea of my child being called “Ish” or “Isher”. Would love to hear your nickname suggestions of [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m].

What about [name_m]Mael[/name_m]?

I LOVE this name!

How about [name_u]Issey[/name_u], [name_u]Mal[/name_u] or [name_m]Shem[/name_m]? It’s a tricky one to nickname for sure! For what it’s worth, I quite like Ish :slightly_smiling_face:

Ishmael is very handsome!

Izzy/Issy is my first thought. I know three boys with the name [name_m]Ismael[/name_m], and all of them go by Isma. Maybe Ishma can work.

I know a little [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] who goes by Ishy, super cute & cool with the swooshy sound.

My FIL’s name is [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]. [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]… [name_m]Hal[/name_m]… [name_u]Shay[/name_u]… [name_m]Shale[/name_m]… [name_m]Mael[/name_m]… [name_u]Isa[/name_u]…

Izzy/Issy maybe

I definitely think [name_u]Mal[/name_u] could work

I like the sound of [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]!

Mael
[name_u]Mal[/name_u]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u]
[name_u]Izzy[/name_u] (perhaps a stretch?)
Sham/Shem

Sorry for repeats!

I like [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]! [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_m]Mael[/name_m], like [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] suggested.