Nicknames for Jelena?

My wife found the name [name_f]Jelena[/name_f], and we’d love to use it somehow. The only bad part is that we can’t think of a nickname other than [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] or [name_f]Lena[/name_f], neither of which we really want to use. Anyone have any ideas?

Depends on how you are pronouncing it? [name_u]Jay[/name_u]-lay-na?
You could use
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_f]Jaylee[/name_f]
[name_m]Laynee[/name_m]
[name_m]Lenny[/name_m]
I quite like [name_m]Laynee[/name_m] as a nickname or shortening but a nn can be anything my first thought was Jelly :slight_smile:

It seems like your wife just came across the name in print and hasn’t heard it actually said aloud, but technically Jelena is pronounced like Yeh-leh-na, not Jeh-le-na like you seem to be going for by saying Gigi would work as a nickname. (It’s an Eastern European version of Elena.) Not that you can’t say it with a “j” sound if you really want since the average English speaker probably would guess that pronunciation at first glance, but I just thought you sound know. Anyway, the only other nicknames that come to mind are Laney and Nana. (Maybe Janey or Jenny if you did use the “j” sound version?)

[name_f]Gigi[/name_f] Hadid’s real name is [name_f]Jelena[/name_f], but it is pronounced “YEH-layna”

Jela, Jelka and Jelica are traditional Slavic diminutives for [name_f]Jelena[/name_f], but I’m not sure they would wear too well on an American girl. What about [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f], taken from the “el” part of the name? If you pronounce it with a J sound (which I’m personally not fond of), [name_f]Jen[/name_f] is also an option.

Everything has been explained. It’s pronounced like yeh-leh-na. Some nicknames that are frequently used here (in Croatia) are:

Jela
Jele
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]

You could also use:

[name_f]Ela[/name_f]
[name_f]Ena[/name_f]

[name_m]Just[/name_m] please don’t pronounce it like jay-lay-nah or something like that, lol.

[name_m]How[/name_m] are you pronouncing it?

Jela/Yela
Jelen/[name_f]Yelen[/name_f]
[name_u]Lanie[/name_u]/[name_u]Laney[/name_u]
[name_f]Elen[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
Jelly/Yelly
[name_f]Ena[/name_f]
[name_f]Jena[/name_f]/Yena