Nicknames for Magnus?

[name]Magnus[/name] is one of the names we are considering for our next if it is a boy. My main hesitation is its nickname potential. We don’t necessarily use nicknames, but other people might especially as our son gets older. For nicknames, I have already ruled out [name]Gus[/name] because I am a not a fan. [name]Mag[/name] is ok, but I don’t want it to morph into [name]Maggie[/name]. I was wondering if [name]Max[/name] was too much of a stretch for [name]Magnus[/name]? What do you think? Any other nicknames I am missing?

Thanks so much. :slight_smile:

I think it’s quite cool. [name]Magnus[/name] means “great” and [name]Max[/name] is a short form of [name]Maximus[/name] which means “greatest”. [name]Both[/name] are [name]Roman[/name] names, and there was the western [name]Roman[/name] emperor [name]Magnus[/name] [name]Maximus[/name].

[name]Magi[/name] (haha)
Nuss
Nussi

[name]Max[/name] works. There’s also [name]Mack[/name], the medieval short form of [name]Magnus[/name].
[name]Gus[/name] could work too.

Thanks for the opinions! @[name]Ottilie[/name] - we were actually considering [name]Maximus[/name] for my first son, but [name]Luther[/name] won. I might still use [name]Maximus[/name] for the next, but other names seem to have grown on me more since, including [name]Magnus[/name]. I still love the nn [name]Max[/name], which is why I was curious about [name]Max[/name] as a nn for [name]Magnus[/name]!

Why in the world would you need a nickname for a short name like [name]Magnus[/name]? None needed.

I love [name]Magnus[/name]! I think [name]Gus[/name] would be a pretty cool nn, I hadn’t even thought of that. [name]Max[/name] was my first idea, I think it could work. :slight_smile:

Personally, I don’t think [name]Max[/name] works, but feel free to do it anyway :slight_smile:

I do love [name]Magnus[/name] and think it doesn’t need a nickname, but if you want one you can try:

[name]Mag[/name]
[name]Mags[/name]
Magnie
Mansie (:P)
[name]Manny[/name]
Magna

It’s only two syllables…

I like [name]Gus[/name], or… Gnus with a silent N. :-b
[name]Max[/name] is totally doable.
Yes, it’s a short name, but nicknames are fun. Why not?

As I said in my op, I am not really big on a nicknames, but sometimes they are inevitable even with short names. There are a lot of names that are short with nicknames such as [name]Robert[/name], [name]Richard[/name], [name]Susan[/name], [name]Jason[/name], [name]Michael[/name], [name]Alan[/name] etc.

I was just curious which nicknames would work for [name]Magnus[/name], beyond [name]Gus[/name] and [name]Mag[/name].

Did you end up going with [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] and does he have a nick name? :slight_smile:

I personally wouldn’t use a nickname for the name [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] but if I were to pick this name I have family who use nicknames for all of the kids in the family and would love to be able to point them in the right direction because I also don’t like the nickname [name_f]Mag[/name_f].

This post is over a decade old…

Mange is the go-to nickname for [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] in Scandinavia