Nightingale?

Is this terrible? I kind of love it. what could a nickname be?

As a middle name, no. As a first name…errr…kind of, yeah. But I recently heard of a little girl named [name]Ivy[/name] Nightingale, which I thought was adorable.

As for a nickname…[name]Night[/name] is the only thing that comes to mind. That and [name]Gale[/name], which has a really dated sound, IMHO.

It’s a bit out there, though I can see it as a middle–but only if paired with a fairly traditional first.

[name]Catherine[/name] Nightingale, for instance, works in my mind.

see I really like “out there” names. I have such a hard time finding girls names. I am so lucky that i have two boys because they may be nameless had they been girls. I have [name]Pilot[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name]. I know [name]Dexter[/name] isn’t really out there but that was more the DH’s choice. I want a girls name that sounds enchanted. It’s quite impossible.

I think Nightingale is just too out there. To me, names like [name]Juno[/name], [name]Athena[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Esperanza[/name], [name]Anais[/name], [name]Indira[/name], and [name]Maelys[/name] are quirky, princess-y (but not frilly) names. Nightingale for some reason just crosses the line. [name]Dexter[/name], as you said, really isn’t that out there, and [name]Pilot[/name] I guess is an occupational name, so not that much stranger than [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Mason[/name]. Nightingale doesn’t really have anything like that to compare it too. Perhaps if you’re looking for a bird name, [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Jay[/name] would work?

Hmm… Nightingale, I like the nickname [name]Tin[/name]-[name]Tin[/name] but it does feel a little too out there. Like one of the PP said using it as a middle name would be alright but fisrt name might be pushing it. If you need suggestions what about:

[name]Starling[/name]
[name]Zen[/name]/[name]Zhen[/name]
[name]Zella[/name]
Fuschia
[name]Shreya[/name]
Solaine
[name]Misty[/name]
Tunder
[name]Langley[/name]
Halycon
[name]Brisa[/name]
Dusk
[name]Salem[/name]
Aerwyna
Xyris
Glacier
Caliaya

[name]Hope[/name] these spark some inspiration!

Yeah. IDK. way too difficult. I want a girl but I am way too impossible with names.

I don’t think Nightingale is terrible at all. It’s easy to spell and pronounce and it reminds me of [name]Florence[/name] Nightingale. I would love to meet a little girl called this, but of course that little girl would eventually grow up so perhaps Nightingale would be best in the middle spot and used as a nickname.

Some more suggestions:
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]/[name]Aura[/name]/[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Grier[/name]
[name]Serenity[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Fae[/name]
[name]Evangelista[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Dulce[/name]
[name]Saffron[/name]

I think Nightingale is a really sweet MN or NN, but not so much as a given name. I honestly can’t really come up with any NNs for Nightingale itself other than [name]Gale[/name], or maybe [name]Nya[/name] or [name]Nia[/name]? Some other ideas:
[name]Alouette[/name]
[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Celestine[/name]
[name]Evening[/name]
[name]Forsythia[/name]
[name]Gardenia[/name]
[name]Jacinta[/name]
[name]Jonquil[/name]
[name]Kerenza[/name]
Kiskadee
[name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
Maple
[name]Maybelle[/name]
[name]Oceane[/name]
Oleander
Pasqualina
[name]Persephone[/name]
Rosebud
[name]Sapphira[/name]
Sunniva
Sunset
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Tasoula[/name]
[name]Twyla[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name]
[name]Zenobia[/name]

I like the nn [name]Night[/name] for the name Nightingale…

I had a class with a Nigerian woman named Nightingale. She was very smart, poised, and seemed so wise and modest. So those are the attributes I associate with the name.

I have no idea about a good nickname, but you would definitely want to find one for a long name like that.

I love this name and would love to use it for my own daughter due this summer but I’m too scared to bring it up to DH. lol.

Only as a middle name.