Nina name theft

2 years ago when I was pregnant by [name]BIL[/name] & [name]SIL[/name] were expecting twins. They told me the names they picked & asked me what I picked. I had chosen [name]Nina[/name]…well a few months later they dropped one of their choices & used [name]Nina[/name]!

I considered still using [name]Nina[/name], but our girls share a surname & are the same age so it just seemed too much

We named our baby [name]Leonie[/name] & I love her & her name completely

But I am considering [name]Nina[/name] now…we probably won’t be trying till next year.

This puts years between them.

Is it something I should let go of?

What about a hyphen name like [name]Nina[/name]-[name]Annette[/name] or [name]Nina[/name]-[name]Camille[/name]?

Sorry to hear about that name theft. This time I would suggest keeping your names to yourself, but not using [name]Nina[/name], as much as they ‘stole’ your name, they have a child named that now, a cousin to your baby-to-be, and I think your baby deserves her own name. What about [name]Nora[/name]? (I really like [name]Nina[/name] too :frowning: )

Personally I would not use the name, even though they were rude and stole your baby name. While [name]Nina[/name] is a pretty name, there are many others in the baby name sphere that have the same grace. I would suggest to you these other sophisticated names (that also happen to consist of four letters) instead:

[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ayla[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Roma[/name]/[name]Romy[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
Lira
[name]Luna[/name]

[name]Just[/name] some ideas… There are so many wonderful names of this length with the same appeal as [name]Nina[/name]. I bolded the names that I feel would work wonderfully with [name]Leonie[/name] as a sibling. Good luck :slight_smile:

When I was in my teens, my aunt was pregnant with my very first cousin on that side of the family and they asked me if it would be alright if they named their daughter my name. It wasn’t after me, they just liked the name. My mom didn’t steal it (or if she did it was ok because at the time we thought they were never going to have kids). I said no. Maybe it was selfish, but it seemed SO weird that out of 4 grandkids, two would be named [name]Kate[/name]. I didn’t want to be Old [name]Kate[/name]. While it is REALLY a bummer that they stole your name, I would not recommend doing that. Your daughter would be the second one, so she may feel less identity with the name. She may even ask why you gave her the same name as her cousin and if you tell her the truth, it could cause resentment against that whole side of the family!

Obviously, you can do whatever you want, but I don’t think this is necessarily the best option. Since you were already able to find an alternative that you love (way to go for not fixating on the name loss and figuring out another name you love!) I think you can do it again. :slight_smile:

Ugh! Sorry about that.
[name]Nina[/name] is lovely, but [name]Leonie[/name] has more power. To my ears, they’re really close for sisters, with that “ni” sound.
It’s not unusual for cousins to share names, so I think it would be fine for you to use it again. But it does kind of diminish the specialness of the name. Also, you might feel like you have to defend your choice- the name that was yours to begin with! Sheesh.

My sister “claimed” [name]Vera[/name]! It’s a family name. Using it would make me guilty of the same crime that upset me so!

I also love [name]Anita[/name], but worry about teasing

Oooh I love [name]Anita[/name] and [name]Nora[/name]! I think you’ll be able to find another name that you love, it just sucks that you have to.

[name]How[/name] about:

[name]Anya[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Raquel[/name], [name]Camilla[/name], [name]Johanna[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Neva[/name], [name]Ines[/name], [name]Luisa[/name]?

[name]How[/name] about [name]Verity[/name] instead of [name]Vera[/name]? Same meaning, with a little more zest. You could nn her something other than [name]Vera[/name] if you don’t want to upset your sister (maybe [name]Vita[/name], though it has a different meaning?) This way you could both have a daughter named after your grandmother/aunt [name]Vera[/name].
[name]Verity[/name] and [name]Leonie[/name] are pretty scrumptious together.

The [name]Nina[/name] thing was no secret since they initiated the conversation at a big family dinner. In fact the many witnesses made me feel confident that they would never use our choice

Plus they seemed so confident in their choices

Maybe using [name]Nina[/name] would just be starting too much trouble & I should give it up. It’s just hard because I love it & did nothing wrong in this situation but still probably have to lose it!

I love [name]Veda[/name]…thoughts?

My husband is strongly against [name]Anita[/name]. I doubt it would cause teasing as the whole [name]Anita[/name] [name]Man[/name] thing feels old fashioned even for my gen!

The only time I consider a name off limits is if a close family member (i.e. Brother or sisters, in laws included) used the name. :frowning: Personally I would try to find something else.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Veda[/name]. Really interesting and deep, with its connection to the Upanishads… I don’t know a lot about the Vedic texts, but they’re beautiful. It’s a great alternative to [name]Vera[/name]. Feels balanced in strength with [name]Leonie[/name]. Wonderful idea.

My husband likes [name]Veda[/name] quite a bit! This one is going on the list

Otherwise put [name]Nina[/name] in the middle?

If you never see those guys, then [name]Nina[/name] might not be too bad. But otherwise, it might be weird for those cousins to be [name]Nina[/name].

Can you go with [name]Carina[/name] at all? That is the full name of a [name]Nina[/name] I know…

I think what they did with the twins was low. Sneeky. At least you have a [name]Nina[/name] in the family. A lot of people never see their favorite names used on a human. Your taste in names is obviously so good they just HAD to copy it. The nice thing is that there are so many girls names in the world you might be able to find one you like as much if not more, again ([name]Leonie[/name] is to die for! Swoon!). If you really decide you need to use [name]Nina[/name] to feel good about the name then use it, it is your baby to name. Here are some suggestions:

[name]Anona[/name], [name]Nona[/name], [name]Isla[/name] ([name]Eila[/name], [name]Eyla[/name], [name]Ila[/name], [name]Ayla[/name]), [name]Lila[/name], [name]Nessa[/name], [name]Inessa[/name], [name]Edie[/name], [name]Rheya[/name], [name]Anya[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Luna[/name], [name]Elya[/name], [name]Nica[/name], [name]Juna[/name], [name]Iona[/name], [name]Niall[/name], [name]Clio[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Elowen[/name], [name]Cybele[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Elea[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Myla[/name], [name]Cia[/name], [name]Adair[/name], [name]Eira[/name], [name]Farrah[/name], [name]Sela[/name], [name]Lyra[/name], [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Cyra[/name], [name]Emme[/name], [name]Belen[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Halle[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Maple[/name], [name]Bryn[/name], [name]Calla[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Celia[/name], [name]Mila[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Leda[/name], [name]Alida[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Mireille[/name], [name]Sanna[/name], [name]Elara[/name], [name]Juno[/name], [name]Tessa[/name], [name]Eena[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Safia[/name], [name]Enid[/name], [name]Liya[/name], [name]Nera[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Arbor[/name], [name]Cyane[/name], [name]Alula[/name], [name]Sage[/name], [name]Maelle[/name], [name]Lane[/name], [name]Noa[/name], [name]Minna[/name], [name]Wynn[/name], [name]Ismene[/name], [name]Aine[/name], [name]Emer[/name]

[name]Just[/name] curious: What was the name they dropped for [name]Nina[/name]?

I love [name]Nora[/name] so much more than [name]Nina[/name]. I would name my daughter [name]Nora[/name] but one of our lose friends has a little girl named [name]Nora[/name].

I love the suggestion of [name]Veda[/name] but I prefer The spelling and meaning of [name]Vida[/name] (vee-da) better … meaning - life.