Nine days to go and still undecided!

I am booked in for an induction in 9 days for DC1 and am needing baby name inspiration. We don’t know if its a boy or girl so are looking at both boy and girl names. We are in the UK if that is any clue.

For girls we have
[name]Dalia[/name]- DH not a fan
[name]Edie[/name]/ [name]Eden[/name]- [name]Both[/name] my favourite, but DH likes [name]Martha[/name] more
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]-We both love this but also know 4 dogs called [name]Matilda[/name]/ [name]Tilly[/name], which really puts us off
[name]Martha[/name]- DHs favourite but quite popular
[name]Talia[/name]- DH not as big a fan
[name]Thea[/name]

For boys we have
[name]Elijah[/name]- DH not as keen on it
[name]Elliot[/name]- My favourite
[name]Reuben[/name] ([name]Ben[/name] for short?)- [name]Both[/name] love but it sounds too similar to our surname
[name]Samuel[/name]/ [name]Samson[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]- Getting a bit more common round here
[name]Theon[/name]- Joint favourite for both of us but we worry about the Game of Thrones link (although most of our friends/ family don’t watch it)

So, Nameberry folk, can you choose any favourites from our list or choose anything that you think we will love based on our choices so far?

My favorites from your list are [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Theon[/name] (and they both mean [name]Goddess[/name] and Godly ^_^)

[name]Theon[/name] is more than Game of thrones – “[name]Theon[/name], an ancient name attached to a noted Greek teacher of mathematics and astronomy, also father to the first woman mathematician”

And [name]Theon[/name] is a name you both love!

We know, that’s part of why we love it. DH is a maths teacher and my late father’s nickname growing up was [name]Algie[/name] as he loved maths. But people we have mentioned it to have recalled in horror and told us to go and read the GoT books. We know [name]Theon[/name] isn’t the nicest of characters, but heck, [name]Dexter[/name] is in the top 100 names in the UK at the moment and he is a serial killer. At least [name]Theon[/name] is a weak character that most people don’t even know about.

lol I completely agree that if [name]Dexter[/name] is fine right now, then [name]Theon[/name] should be fine too. Game of Thrones will die down eventually (and I didn’t like it anyway) and since the name is one of the “specific to the GoT” names in there, it has its own history and personal meaning to you, and as you said, he’s a weak character, I think you should go for it :slight_smile:

[name]Dahlia[/name] - it’s nice but I can’t see it on a younger child
[name]Edie[/name] - really love this. There’s also [name]Edith[/name] but personally I prefer [name]Eden[/name].
[name]Isla[/name] - pretty
[name]Juliet[/name] - absolutely adore this
[name]Matilda[/name] - love nns [name]Tilly[/name] and [name]Matty[/name]
[name]Martha[/name] - I only know one, and it’s a really lovely name
[name]Talia[/name] - not so keen but I like [name]Tally[/name] as a nn
[name]Thea[/name] - sweet
[name]Elijah[/name] - my favorite boys name
[name]Elliot[/name] - nice
[name]Reuben[/name] - such a great name, and I love [name]Ben[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] - prefer this to [name]Samson[/name]. Pretty common where I live, more so than [name]Martha[/name] anyway
[name]Theodore[/name] - love [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] but not [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Theon[/name] - never heard of it, but I prefer [name]Theodore[/name]

Favorites are: [name]Juliet[/name] an [name]Edie[/name], [name]Elijah[/name] and [name]Rueben[/name]

[name]Dalia[/name] - [name]How[/name] are you pronouncing this? Like [name]Dahlia[/name]? If your husband isn’t sure, have you considered [name]Delia[/name] or [name]Delilah[/name]? Maybe even [name]Delaney[/name]?
[name]Edie[/name]/ [name]Eden[/name] - I’m not crazy about [name]Martha[/name]. [name]Edie[/name] is cute but a little nicknamey. [name]Eden[/name] isn’t my style, but it’s okay.
[name]Isla[/name] - Very pretty!
[name]Juliet[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name]!
[name]Matilda[/name] - I don’t love it. But if you really love it, go for it.
[name]Martha[/name] - I personally don’t think it’s super popular… it’s only ranked at #772.
[name]Talia[/name] - I’m not crazy about it personally.
[name]Thea[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name].

[name]Elijah[/name] - Not my favorite either. Have you considered [name]Eli[/name] or [name]Elisha[/name] or [name]Elias[/name]?
[name]Elliot[/name] - Handsome!
[name]Reuben[/name] ([name]Ben[/name] for short?)- Nice, but I wouldn’t go for it if it clashes with your surname.
[name]Samuel[/name]/ [name]Samson[/name] - I like both!
[name]Theodore[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name!
[name]Theon[/name] - I prefer [name]Theo[/name] / [name]Theodore[/name]… but if you both love this name, go for it.

[name]Dalia[/name] is a Hebrew name and its Dah-leah. [name]Delia[/name] is a no no because I am in the UK and there is a bland and boring cookery tv personality called [name]Delia[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. We also know 2 [name]Delilah[/name]'s and when each have been born and announced on Facebook, the comments have been “why why why”, “my my my” etc after the [name]Tom[/name] [name]Jones[/name] song!
And [name]Martha[/name] is at number 83 in the UK, so a lot more popular in the UK than in the USA.

I love [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name]!

I love [name]Thea[/name] for a girl- I think it’s almost ethereal, very sweet and not very popular. And I love [name]Theo[/name] for a boy (I don’t love the -dore part, but that’s just me).

From your girls’ list, I am literally oohing at how much I adore [name]Isla[/name] & [name]Juliet[/name]. Those stand out among the others. They are flawless. Please use them!!! [name]Isla[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]/[name]Juliette[/name] would be gorgeous combo. [name]Even[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Isla[/name] would sound nice too!

For the boys, I like [name]Theodore[/name]!

[name]Reuben[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name] for a boy, [name]Thalia[/name] nn [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Matilda[/name] for a girl!

From your list I like [name]Eden[/name]/[name]Edie[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Martha[/name], and [name]Thea[/name] for a girl and [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Reuben[/name]/[name]Ben[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], or [name]Theodore[/name] for a boy. I don’t think [name]Matilda[/name] is a “dog name” and think [name]Theon[/name] might be Game of Thrones associated because it’s on the unique side-- maybe use as a mn or use [name]Theo[/name] by itself instead. Some combinations-- [name]Martha[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Isla[/name] [name]Eden[/name], [name]Eden[/name] [name]Martha[/name], or [name]Thea[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]; [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Reuben[/name], [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Theon[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Ben[/name], or [name]Theo[/name] [name]Elliot[/name].

Some other possibilities that might work and seem similar to me are:

[name]Althea[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name])
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Aviva[/name]
[name]Avis[/name]
[name]Dalit[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name])
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] (nn [name]Edie[/name])
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]/[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]
[name]Judith[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Malia[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Talitha[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
[name]Thais[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name])
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Viveca[/name]

[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Dante[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
Ezekial (nn [name]Zeke[/name])
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]

Once born, your baby will be the focal point in your world and the dogs you know won’t even be a consideration. When you hear the name [name]Matilda[/name], you’ll think of your sweet daughter and not of the dogs. This happened to me. I say, go with the name you love the most.

Also, I just finished reading this beautifully written book and it made the name [name]Reuben[/name] grow on me. I recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Like-River-Leif-Enger/dp/0802139256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347864974&sr=8-1&keywords=peace+like+a+river

We both love [name]Reuben[/name] but it sounds TERRIBLE with our surname. It has the same number of syllables and similar vowel sounds, so just sounds like Rootin’ Tootin’. The flow of it is just bad, which is such a shame.

[name]Matilda[/name] is lovely, but I know what you mean about the dog thing, coincidently I know a couple of labradors called [name]Martha[/name] too. [name]Eden[/name] is lovely, [name]Martha[/name] [name]Eden[/name] as a combination is beautiful but quite Biblical, so I don’t know if that’s your thing or not. I’m in the Uk too, and I’ve certainly seen the rise in [name]Theodore[/name]'s as well as [name]Isla[/name]'s. From your list I’d say that [name]Eden[/name] would work really well as a middle name. Not too keen on [name]Thea[/name] but like [name]Dalia[/name]. [name]Juliet[/name] is pretty but she’ll be called [name]Jules[/name], so I guess have a think about all the permutations of each name, because whatever we think of as the shortened version, friends in the playground will come up with their own. I love [name]Reuben[/name], but like you say, you should perhaps avoid close comparisons with surname, though the 3 [name]Reuben[/name]'s I know are known as Reubs. Out of your boys it sounds like [name]Elliot[/name] is the fave. [name]How[/name] about [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Theon[/name], can also be known as [name]Eli[/name] so you’d have the same shortening as [name]Elijah[/name], you’d also get [name]Theon[/name] in there without potential raises of eyebrows. Our son is called [name]Zebedee[/name], which we chose for Biblical reasons, but the number of people who ask if we have a soft spot for the magic roundabout, including a [name]Bishop[/name], is ridiculous!

I like [name]Isla[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], and [name]Martha[/name]. I’m kind of happy to see [name]Martha[/name] is getting popular there because it’s one of my GP names. Maybe it will catch on over here in the US. :slight_smile:

For boys, I like [name]Elliot[/name] ([name]Elliott[/name]), [name]Samuel[/name]/ [name]Samson[/name] ([name]Sampson[/name]), and [name]Theodore[/name].

Others you may like:

Girls:
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Delia[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] nn [name]Thea[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]

Boys:
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]