NN for Stella.. Ellie?

I was thinking I like the name [name]Stella[/name] but I love the nn [name]Ellie[/name]. Could I name my daughter [name]Stella[/name] and call her [name]Ellie[/name] and it not be too different/weird? Or would I need/have to call her [name]Ella[/name], etc.

[name]Ellie[/name] could absolutely work! Go for it!

I would just name her [name]Ellie[/name] if that’s what you’re going to call her. [name]Stella[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name] sounds like a nickname for a nickname to me. What’s more, [name]Ellie[/name] isn’t any shorter than [name]Stella[/name].

Yes. I agree. Although, I do think that [name]Ellie[/name] can be a nn for a longer name beginning with [name]El[/name].

I think it’s fine.

Why oh why would [name]Stella[/name] need a nickname? (Sorry, this is a nameberry pet peeve of mine). As a previous poster said [name]Ellie[/name] isn’t any shorter. If she will be called [name]Ellie[/name], that is what I would name her. I do love [name]Ellie[/name] and [name]Stella[/name].

I think that it makes sense. I get that [name]Ellie[/name] isn’t any shorter than [name]Stella[/name], but I don’t think it necessarily has to be.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Stella[/name]. I would just name her that and call her that. You can’t improve upon it at all IMHO:-) [name]Ellie[/name] pales in comparison to the Beautiful [name]Stella[/name] !!!

I know I’m in the nameberry minority when it comes to nn’s but I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to use a nn that sounds completely unrelated to the name, if I met a [name]Stella[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name] I would assume the parents were indecisive about naming their baby. I think it might work for [name]Estella[/name] though but it’s still a big stretch for me.

I would stick with [name]Stella[/name]. To be honest, I am really tired of the name [name]Ellie[/name]…there are a crazy amount of girls out there with the nickname [name]Ellie[/name]. My daughter had 5 [name]Ellie[/name]'s in her preschool class (out of 14 girls!) – the teachers had to get permission from the parents to call them by their full names rather than their nicknames (all of their full names were different, fortunately).
I don’t think [name]Ellie[/name] is a huge stretch as a nickname for [name]Stella[/name], but it also doesn’t make much sense to me. But of course stella is so much more refreshing to my ears than [name]Ellie[/name] is, so leaving it as stella would be my vote!

[name]Stella[/name] does not need a nickname…I think if you like the name [name]Ellie[/name] just name her [name]Ellie[/name]…I am super annoyed that nameberry thinks every single name needs a nickname

I think if you named her [name]Estella[/name], it could definitely work… and it wouldn’t sound like a nickname for a nickname. [name]Estella[/name] sounds like a complete name, unlike [name]Stella[/name]. Plus it has the E at the beginning to tie [name]Ellie[/name] in! :slight_smile:

Confused as to how so many people think [name]Stella[/name] already sounds like a nickname, when it is a complete name in and of itself. That said, [name]Stella[/name] is my [name]FAVORITE[/name] girls’ name and I don’t think it necessarily needs a nickname, but [name]Ellie[/name] would definitely work.