Nn Josie

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries,

I really like the name [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], but am wondering if the nn [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is too much of a stretch? I like, [name_u]Josie[/name_u] even as a standalone name but DH isn’t so keen, but he does like [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. I don’t really like any other nicknames for [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] and am not really keen on the full name [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] which I know the usual formal version of [name_u]Josie[/name_u].

So, do you think [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is too much of a stretch from [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]?

TTC later this year, so just compiling a list of names.

Thanks everyone!

I think that [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is too far from [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. You can get some nicknames from [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] though like…

[name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_u]Joey[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]

Yeah, the only one of those I can tolerate is [name_f]Anna[/name_f].

Not really keen on any of the others. However, I adore [name_u]Josie[/name_u]. Such a dilemma.

I would be happy to just use the name [name_u]Josie[/name_u], or the name [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] and not shorten it but DH prefers names that have nn options. So, maybe I will just pop it on the list and see what else we can come up with. Interested to hear feedback from other berries too though.

Who knew this naming thing was so hard? Good things I’m thinking about names early before we TTC #1 because I think this could be quite the task haha.

I think [name_u]Josie[/name_u] could totally work as a nn for [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. It’s not the most intuitive nn option, but I would say it’s probably more intuitive than [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

I think it’s too far. But then again, I kind of don’t.
Really honestly, your kids nn could be anything technically lol.
What about [name_f]Josslyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]?
Josalie, [name_f]Josette[/name_f], [name_f]Josefine[/name_f], [name_f]Josaline[/name_f]

Great suggestions, thanks!

I will toss some of those around. Initially, I don’t mind [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]. I will see what DH thinks of some other alternatives. I do really, really like [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] though so this might be a tough one.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have a middle name picked out? If not, then you could go with something like [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and call her [name_u]Josie[/name_u]. Then t wouldn’t be as big of a stretch. :slight_smile:

@Erin91.

No, no names set in stone yet. Very early stages of the name journey. That is a great idea though! I also really like the names [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] but would never use it as it’s been in the top ten girls names here in Australia for the last two years running. I never thought of it as middle name option. I do like the sound of [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. Great idea. Thank you!

Not suggesting you do this…and it’s not my style…LOL…but when you brought up the NN [name_u]Josie[/name_u] it reminded me of a series of books I read where the protagonist is a woman named [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]. :slight_smile: [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought…

Hugs,
[name_f]Cathy[/name_f]

It’s not intuitive but I think it can work. Maybe give her an S middle name will help? [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] or [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Sabine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Josie[/name_u] will make more sense, imo.

[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jonie[/name_f]
Joa
[name_f]Hannie[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Josepha[/name_f]. (pronounced [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-SEPH-a)
I used to be in a similar dilemma, with liking [name_u]Josie[/name_u] but not [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. Though in theory, not with actual kids.

[name_f]Josette[/name_f] or [name_m]Jos[/name_m]ée? And there are tons of Joscelin spelling variants you could use…Josselin, [name_f]Josselyn[/name_f], Josselynne, etc. Good luck!

Thank you for all the great suggestions.

You’ve given me lots to consider.

Interestingly enough when I googled the popularity of [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] in Australia, and read all the comments on the name, every site I went to listed ‘[name_u]Josie[/name_u]’ as a possible nickname option! I do think a middle name starting with S would be a good option though!

Thanks again everyone… you’re all doing a marvellous job helping me compile my list.

I don’t think [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is too far from [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. I think it makes a nice nickname for it, and [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] is lovely.