No.5 named into a corner?

We are expecting no.5 (likely to be 5th and final though I think my husband said that last time😊).

I do like patterns/rules with names and sets of names. I always had a thing for girls names ending in a, hence [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f].

they also all have 2 middle names.

Our 4th was a boy, a huge surprise and it threw us. We just couldn’t agree. After 5 weeks of discussion, and days before needing to register him (we have 6 weeks in the uk) we compromised on [name_m]Zander[/name_m] [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_m]Fox[/name_m].
I did not like spelling [name_m]Xander[/name_m] with a Z. But dh wanted [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] which I had grown out of. Only thing I liked was the er sound being similar to the ar sound of the girls.

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] was something I’ve loved since [name_m]Fox[/name_m] Mulder but remarks from my mother made me unsure about it as a first name.

Several weeks later with his name still not sitting right we started calling him [name_m]Fox[/name_m]. And that’s his name. And yes my mum calls him [name_m]Fox[/name_m].

Sooo now we’re into names for number 5. I’m convinced baby is a girl though we won’t find out for a few weeks yet. Dh is helping which he usually doesn’t do until later.

Problem now is I want to stick to the pattern but he doesn’t like any of the girls names I suggest that end in a (e.g. [name_f]Aria[/name_f] (now very common anyway) or [name_f]Raia[/name_f] or [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f] etcetc)

Only one we agree on is [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Trixie[/name_f]/[name_f]Pixie[/name_f]. We live close to the [name_u]Lake[/name_u] District and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and that whole area is really special.

But but it breaks my pattern and that’s a bit arghh!

Only other one I love is [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] but a one syllable first name seems even more of a break
except we have [name_m]Fox[/name_m] though officially he is [name_m]Zander[/name_m]. So [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] likely as a middle.

Only boys name we agree on is [name_m]Oz[/name_m] but not keen on longer versions! [name_m]Just[/name_m] not sure I can call him [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]!

Thanks for reading, I feel a bit stuck!

Also on my list: [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Asha[/name_f], [name_f]Jetta[/name_f], [name_f]Kira[/name_f], [name_m]Ilya[/name_m], [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Caia[/name_f]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m] (he hates this!) Zephan, [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m]

He likes

[name_m]Anderson[/name_m], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_m]Samson[/name_m] (he is [name_u]Sam[/name_u]), [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m].

I don’t mind [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] but not keen on [name_m]Gabe[/name_m].

Other possible considerations the second two have shorter names so I feel it may be unfair to go back to a longer one.

I like the idea of a 5th/last child having a name beginning with A or B for the positive psychological effect on various things of being at the beginning of the alphabet to counter the last/youngest child complex.

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] doesn’t fit in that well with your daughters anyways so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Maybe you’d like [name_f]Tricia[/name_f] as a variation on [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]?
I also love names ending in a so I’ll make some more suggestions:
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] (sooo perfect with your other daughters)
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alena[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
Axelia

I think a short name ending in A would be the perfect bridge between your son and daughters.
[name_m]How[/name_m] about:
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]/[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]/[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]/[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]

Lmk if you like any of these! There are so many names ending in A, you and your partner are bound to agree on a good one

From your list I like [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_m]Oz[/name_m]! I think they’re really cute with [name_m]Fox[/name_m]
 you could use them as a mode (like [name_m]Zander[/name_m]/[name_m]Fox[/name_m]), and provide a more “classic” name?

I also like [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Caia[/name_f].
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is nice as well
 maybe [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] or [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Bella[/name_f]).

Ideas:
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] [name_m]Oz[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Oz[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] [name_m]Oz[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Cy[/name_m])
[name_m]Oslo[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]

[name_f]Loretta[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Etta[/name_f])
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Della[/name_f])
[name_f]Elora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mona[/name_f])

What about [name_f]Brenna[/name_f] for a girl? I think [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], and [name_f]Brenna[/name_f] could be sisters! I was just thinking of B—A names and this one stood out to me.

There’s also

[name_f]Belinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Breanna[/name_f]
And plenty more I can’t think of.

And the previous posters offered up some great suggestions! I also like [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] with your kids.

Thanks josslyng!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] some of those, especially

[name_f]Alena[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]

You are completely right, [name_m]Fox[/name_m] doesn’t fit especially well with the girls names, it also annoyed me that it was another F name. But sometimes these things just happen, I got over it and he is definitely [name_m]Fox[/name_m].

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] would be a great possibility but unfortunately it’s association here in the UK is a 20+ year running soap opera character, and not a very flattering one ha ha!

Thanks river dweller!

[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] is a possibility and dh doesn’t mind it which is a miracle!

Really like [name_f]Elora[/name_f] and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] but he’s not keen sigh

Thanks kittylitter!

[name_f]Brenna[/name_f] is good and would be nice and unusual over here! Though we thought that about [name_f]Thea[/name_f] 7 years ago and now it’s at #53! :unamused:

For girls:
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Astraea[/name_f]
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Azaria[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Selah[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]
[name_u]Zola[/name_u]

I’m honestly at a loss for boy’s names though

[name_f]Quinna[/name_f], , [name_f]Cora[/name_f], ,[name_f]Breanna[/name_f], ,[name_f]Mishayla[/name_f], ,[name_f]Ursa[/name_f], ,
[name_m]Zavier[/name_m], ,[name_m]Ryker[/name_m], ,[name_m]Ryder[/name_m], ,[name_m]Vance[/name_m], ,[name_m]Tanner[/name_m], ,[name_m]Joziah[/name_m], ,Cruze, ,[name_u]Carter[/name_u], ,Ozyrus, , [name_u]Lex[/name_u], , [name_m]Axel[/name_m], , [name_m]Jax[/name_m], , [name_m]Vin[/name_m], ,

For a boy: Caspian Ozias Hawke can nn him Cap. Or Capn like a shorter version of Captain.
Samuel Hawthorne nn Thorne I def would not go with Gabriel as that sounds girly next to Zander or Fox
Or Samuel Ozias Asher. Fox and Ash sound good. What about Evander Vaughn Ozier? Can call him Va Evander and Zander sound like Brothers.
For Girls;
Rowena, or Rowenna Beatrix Quinn
Lyra or Lyria Beatrix Quinn
Fiona Quinn Beatrix
Talia Anabelle Quinn

I would stick with an A ending for a girl. What about [name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] “[name_f]Pixie[/name_f]”?

I like [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. Ozlan, [name_u]Ozell[/name_u], Ozlo, Ozion

Maybe a name that can use [name_m]Oz[/name_m] as the nn? [name_m]Oswald[/name_m], [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m], [name_m]Boswell[/name_m], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], [name_m]Austin[/name_m]

Or an O first name, with Z middle
 [name_u]Oakley[/name_u] [name_u]Zion[/name_u]?

I love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and I reckon dh would love nn of [name_m]Cap[/name_m]!
I like [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] too but we already used [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] as a middle name.

[name_m]Ozias[/name_m] and [name_m]Thorne[/name_m] are cool and I saw the name [name_m]Osian[/name_m] on our holiday and thought that could lend itself to [name_m]Oz[/name_m] too.

We talked about [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Talia[/name_f] when we had [name_f]Thea[/name_f] so that may be a possibility :slight_smile:

[name_m]Oz[/name_m] as a nn from [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] could work! I’m not sure I’m brave enough to use [name_m]Oswald[/name_m] though our church is St Oswalds so the connection is there!

Thanks all! This is even harder than last time!

[name_m]New[/name_m] considerations

[name_f]Betha[/name_f] (we both like [name_f]Beth[/name_f] but I worry this looks like [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] and [name_f]Bethia[/name_f] is too close to [name_f]Thea[/name_f]!)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] (after my sister)
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]
Ceira
Svea

It’s doubly hard when we’d prefer something slightly unusual. Though there are never any guarantees with that! [name_f]Thea[/name_f] was such a unique name 7 years ago and now it’s #53!

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] ends in x like [name_m]Fox[/name_m] though! So I don’t know if that’s a pro or con.
And it does have an A in it

[name_m]Oz[/name_m] is a lovely first name, I love [name_m]Fox[/name_m] also 

I love the suggestions of [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] maybe nn [name_f]Pixie[/name_f].

Girls names:
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Tara[/name_f]
[name_f]Malinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Belinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Tanya[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Adella[/name_f]
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicia[/name_f]
Elyria
Eloria
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f]

For boys names I would go with one that matches more with [name_m]Fox[/name_m] as that’s what you call him.

[name_u]Bran[/name_u]
[name_m]Thane[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m] (this I think is a good balance between [name_m]Zander[/name_m] and [name_m]Fox[/name_m])
[name_m]Lance[/name_m]
[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_m]Crew[/name_m]
[name_m]Kane[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] nn [name_m]Mack[/name_m]
[name_m]Maddox[/name_m]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]

I would also suggest using the advance search feature and looking for boys names that contain oz in the name. You could also do a search for names containing os, to given you more ideas for full name for nn [name_m]Oz[/name_m]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Bea[/name_f] in place of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]? Only one syllable and doesn’t end in the “uh” sound, but ends in the letter A.

Girl suggestions:
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_u]Sierra[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Aura[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

Boys suggestions:
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
Alder
[name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]

If not trying to save [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as a middle name, I think [name_f]Beata[/name_f] may work. It’s uncommon and has the same first two syllables as [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f].

You could also use [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as a first name and call her BĂ©a ([name_u]BAY[/name_u]-uh) on a daily basis. Then you get the -x to match [name_m]Fox[/name_m] and (sort of) an -a to match your girls.

I like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] next to [name_m]Fox[/name_m]. Congrats!

[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_m]Fox[/name_m] ([name_m]Zander[/name_m]) and

[name_f]Brenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Loretta[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Reseda[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacinta[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lexa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Lita[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Sanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Reseda[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Lora[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]

What a challenge! And congrats on your fifth! Being in the UK I agree [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] doesn’t have a great association haha.

My faves from everyone’s suggestions are [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Loretta[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Etta[/name_f]) and [name_f]Amara[/name_f]

Good luck!