No Alphabetical Name Lists Anymore?

I don’t know how to word the title so hopefully this isn’t confusing!

When you used to click on “girl names” or “boy names” it let you click on a letter, as it still does. But, when you click on the letter it brings you to a list of the most popular names that start with that letter, with the option above to click on a list that’s the most unique names that start with that letter. That’s all fine and great, but it seems there’s no longer an option to just look at all the names that start with that letter listed on Nameberry like there used to be.

Am I missing something and are those lists still available? If not, is this a feature that could added back on in addition to the popular names and unique names? I found it incredibly useful and am a bit disappointed that I can’t find it.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a feature anymore which is a bit annoying. But if you use the advance search option, you can search for names beginning with a certain letter, which will display all of the names on Nameberry beginning with that letter.

As far as I know, the list of (e.g.) “[name_u]Unique[/name_u] Girl Names Beginning With A” will show you all the A names in the database that aren’t in the US Top 1000, in alphabetical order. It’s not just a selection of the most unique.

And the “Top Girl Names Beginning With A” shows you all those that are in the Top 1000, in order of popularity rank.

So together, they do show you all the A girl names in the database, but I get that it’s a frustratingly roundabout way to get there if you want the full list.

@Carys1’s suggestion to use the Advanced Search option then filter by initial and gender should work :+1: But it’s possibly not the most obvious route to the casual visitor.

@pam is this something that’s already been considered?

3 Likes

@auroracallista @Carys1 @katinka We are considering showing all lists the way we used to, which is one long list of names on infinite scroll sortable in different ways – alphabetically, by popularity. But I am not sure when or even if we will get there. I too would like to be able to see everything at once but a lot of people found that overwhelming, when it came to very long lists like names by gender and first letter or origin. Personal preferences aside, the data says most people like the Top - [name_u]Unique[/name_u] division better, but at Nameberry that’s not always the way we do things.

5 Likes