No idea where to start!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. My husband and I just found out that we are expecting our first child. We are so excited! And, while we can’t wait for his or her arrival, we have absolutely no idea what to name our baby! I’m slighly OCD, so not having the perfect name picked out is really making me anxious, even though we have 8 months. We, well mostly me, want to find the perfect name as soon as possible.
That being said, we could really use some help! We like classic, timeless names. We have a very long and general list of names, and would appreciate your feedback on them. We’d also take any suggestions you may have.

Girls:
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Boys:
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
Pater
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Thank you!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! This is a great list to get started.

The first thing I would do if I were you would be to divide this list in 2: one list for the timeless classics ([name]Margaret[/name], [name]Katharine[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Robert[/name]) and one list for the names that have history and are currently stylish ([name]Bryony[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Harrison[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Theodore[/name]).

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A choice from the latter list would probably impress (don’t think that’s the right word, but can’t think of a better one) others when you tell them. Telling the stranger in front of you in the grocery store line that the little boy in the stroller is named [name]Theodore[/name] will probably stick with that person more than if you said his name was [name]Robert[/name]. On the other hand, each generation re-discovers a handful of classics - say, [name]Zachary[/name] in the '80s - and even though the name maintains a long and substantial history, it still carries with it the tastes of its time. There’s no way to be sure, but [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] could end up in that category, while [name]John[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] almost certainly will not.

The second thing I would do is think through nicknames. [name]Do[/name] you and your husband like nicknames? If so, a name like [name]Elizabeth[/name] - that might otherwise be easy to overlook - is a particularly attractive choice for its versatility. You could call her [name]Libby[/name] (the [name]Elizabeth[/name] nn currently most stylish), or you could bring back the vintage [name]Betty[/name] or [name]Betsy[/name]. Then again, maybe you don’t want a nickname. In that case, a name like [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Lucy[/name] might be more appropriate (no boys names on your list are truly nickname-proof).

For what its worth, my top names at the moment are [name]James[/name] and [name]Anne[/name], so that gives you some sense of where I’m coming from. Good luck with your choices.

Congrats to you! Oh, you have some great names on your list that it will be hard to pick favourites. Here are my opinions.

[name]Alice[/name] - My middle name so I’m biased.
[name]Amelia[/name] - Much better and less popular than Emiy or [name]Emma[/name]. [name]Love[/name] its soft, lilting sound.
[name]Anna[/name] - This has never been fav.
[name]Bryony[/name] - Like its spunky and playful vibe
[name]Caroline[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name] classic
[name]Celia[/name] - OK but much prefer [name]Cecily[/name] or [name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] - What a gem! Can’t go wrong with this name.
[name]Claire[/name] - Short, sweet and simple.
[name]Clara[/name] - prefer [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] - I like this but prefer it as a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name].
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - Majestic and dignified.
[name]Emilia[/name] - OK but prefer [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] - [name]Way[/name] too popular
[name]Emma[/name] - See [name]Emily[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] - Gorgeous.
[name]Frances[/name] - [name]Love[/name] its simplicity.
[name]Georgia[/name] - Rather have the other two versions in your list below.
[name]Georgiana[/name] - My fav “[name]George[/name]” name for a girl. Aristocratic.
[name]Georgina[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it more than [name]Georgia[/name] and less than [name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] - Soft and gentle sound. I like it.
[name]Jane[/name] - Plain is sometimes good. I like it but maybe keep it as a middle name option
[name]Julia[/name] - OK but prefer [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] - Ok but popular
[name]Lucy[/name] - I like this name but love [name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] - Ok but prefer the French version [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] - [name]Way[/name] too popular
[name]Rosalind[/name] - Oh [name]Shakespeare[/name] had some wonderful names and this is one of my favs of his.
[name]Susannah[/name] - Like it
[name]Viola[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] - Getting to be popular but nevertheless I still love it

[name]Alexander[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it for its sound and nickname potential
[name]Benjamin[/name] - This name has grown on me. Nice.
[name]Charles[/name] - OK
[name]Christopher[/name] - Never liked this name
[name]Daniel[/name] - Not my style but I do love [name]Nathaniel[/name] which is similar
[name]Harrison[/name] - OK but surnames are very trendy
[name]Henry[/name] - Can’t stand it
[name]Jacob[/name] - [name]Even[/name] though I don’t mind this name, it’s so popular I would never choose it.
[name]James[/name] - Very distinguished.
[name]John[/name] - OK
[name]Jonathan[/name] - Never liked this name
[name]Lucas[/name] - OK
[name]Matthew[/name] - Ok but prefer [name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name] - Like it
[name]Oliver[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name] - I would choose this for a middle name
Pater - [name]Peter[/name]? Not my style
[name]Robert[/name] - Never liked it
[name]Samuel[/name] - Biblical gem. Nice.
[name]Theodore[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name] - I like this one very much
[name]Timothy[/name] - Never a favourite of mine
[name]William[/name] - See [name]Henry[/name]

My favs are [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] /[name]Violet[/name] for girls and [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]James[/name],[name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] for boys.

I absolutely love your list! It might help to know which go with your last name or a potential middle name to eliminate the ones that don’t.

[name]Alice[/name]: This is one of my very favorites!
[name]Amelia[/name]: I like it, but it’s fairly popular at the moment.
[name]Anna[/name]: I like it, and you can’t really go wrong with such a classic, but it’s the tiniest bit dull.
[name]Bryony[/name]: Nice, but I feel like it’s a lot more unusual than the rest of your list. It’s also too close to [name]Brian[/name] for me.
[name]Caroline[/name]: I love [name]Caroline[/name], it’s such a classic.
[name]Celia[/name]: I prefer [name]Cecilia[/name], but this is nice too. I think you have better, though.
[name]Charlotte[/name]: I love [name]Charlotte[/name], but it’s a little bit trendy. Not enough to stop me from using it, though.
[name]Claire[/name]: Same as [name]Anna[/name].
[name]Clara[/name]: I really like [name]Clara[/name]!
[name]Eliza[/name]: I’m just not a huge fan… I’d prefer [name]Elizabeth[/name] nn [name]Eliza[/name] anyway.
[name]Elizabeth[/name]: You definitely can’t go wrong with [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]Will[/name] you be using a nickname?
[name]Emilia[/name]: So lovely! There will probably be spelling issues, though.
[name]Emily[/name]: On one hand, it’s a classic with historical associations like [name]Emily[/name] [name]Dickinson[/name]. On the other hand, it’s been in the top 10 for a huge number of years. It’s still too common for me.
[name]Emma[/name]: Same as [name]Emily[/name].
[name]Emmeline[/name]: I’ve never really liked this. It seems like a smush rather than an established name.
[name]Frances[/name]: I love [name]Frances[/name]!
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgiana[/name]/[name]Georgina[/name]: I’ve never liked the [name]George[/name] names, but there’s nothing wrong with them. [name]Georgiana[/name]'s my favorite.
[name]Helena[/name]: I love [name]Helena[/name], it’s so pretty. There are pronunciation problems, though-- I prefer ‘he-[name]LAY[/name]-na’.
[name]Jane[/name]: A lovely classic, but still a bit dull without the right middle and last names
[name]Julia[/name]: I love it; it’s one of my favorites! So sophisticated and timeless.
[name]Katherine[/name]: I prefer [name]Catherine[/name], but either way, it’s like [name]Elizabeth[/name].
[name]Lucy[/name]: I prefer [name]Lucia[/name] or [name]Lucienne[/name], but it’s nice. Not a stand-out.
[name]Louisa[/name]: Another of my favorites! I love it!
[name]Margaret[/name]: [name]Just[/name] like [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name], you can’t go wrong. I love all the nicknames-- [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Maisy[/name], [name]Meg[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Maggie[/name]…
[name]Olivia[/name]: I actually think it’s gorgeous, but SO popular. I woudn’t use it.
[name]Rosalind[/name]: I love it, but only pronounced ‘rose-a-lind’. Which is wrong.
[name]Susannah[/name]: Very nice.
[name]Viola[/name]: I just think of the instrument, which is a shame because it’s lovely.
[name]Violet[/name]: Very pretty, but trendy at the moment.

My favorites are [name]Alice[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], and [name]Margaret[/name], but you really can’t go wrong with any of the names on your list!

[name]Alexander[/name]: I really like it, and all the nicknames.
[name]Benjamin[/name]: I love it.
[name]Charles[/name]: Weirdly, I love [name]Charlie[/name] but don’t care for [name]Charles[/name]. I wouldn’t use [name]Charlie[/name] as a full name, though.
[name]Christopher[/name]: A bit dated, but a classic nonetheless.
[name]Daniel[/name]: Same as [name]Christopher[/name].
[name]Harrison[/name]: I’m not a fan of surnames as first names; this is the only one I don’t like on your list.
[name]Henry[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Jacob[/name]: So, so popular. Also Twilight-infected.
[name]James[/name]: Nice solid classic.
[name]John[/name]: Eh. Too boring for me, though not a bad name.
[name]Jonathan[/name]: Not a huge fan.
[name]Lucas[/name]: I really like it!
[name]Matthew[/name]: See [name]Christopher[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name]. What about [name]Matthias[/name]?
[name]Nicholas[/name]: For whatever reason, it hasn’t appealed to me that much.
[name]Oliver[/name]: I like it, but it’s trendy.
[name]Patrick[/name]: It sounds dated, but it’s not a bad name.
Pater: Is this supposed to be [name]Peter[/name]? If so, I love it. If not, this is the Latin word for ‘father’, not a name for a child.
[name]Robert[/name]: See [name]Patrick[/name].
[name]Samuel[/name]: I’m tired of all the Sams running around. Not a bad name, though.
[name]Theodore[/name]: I really like it.
[name]Thomas[/name]: I think [name]Tommy[/name] is adorable!
[name]Timothy[/name]: See [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], and [name]Matthew[/name].
[name]William[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it, though it is fairly popular.

My favorites are [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], and [name]William[/name]. :slight_smile:

Thank you all!
Our last name starts with an N and is two syllables.

We’ve decided to just focus on girl names for now. Here is our updated list.

[name]Alice[/name]”
[name]Amelia[/name]”
[name]Caroline[/name]”
[name]Charlotte[/name]”
[name]Celia[/name]”
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]”
[name]Helena[/name] ”
[name]Julia[/name]”
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]

We would greatly appreciate your feedback and any suggestions you may have.
Thank you!

Well, you know you really can’t go wrong with any of these timeless and classic gems. I guess that’s why they’re called “timeless” because they’ll never go out of style. I think it’s wise of you to concentrate on one gender list at a time because many people find naming a child overwhelming at times. My faves from your list are [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]. If your last name is two syllables perhaps a three syllable first name would be a better option. I’ve already stated my opinions on the previous list so here are some combinations you may want to consider.

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Helena[/name] - If you choose [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] would be pretty well finished as an option for a future daugher as they both basically the same name taken from [name]Charles[/name].
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

Well, you know you really can’t go wrong with any of these timeless and classic gems. I guess that’s why they’re called “timeless” because they’ll never go out of style. I think it’s wise of you to concentrate on one gender list at a time because many people find naming a child overwhelming at times. My faves from your list are [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]. If your last name is two syllables perhaps a three syllable first name would be a better option. I’ve already stated my opinions on the previous list so here are some combinations you may want to consider.

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Helena[/name] - If you choose [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] would be pretty well finished as an option for a future daugher as they both basically the same name taken from [name]Charles[/name].
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

Here is what I like from your list. These are all decent choices. The ones I eliminated are, for the most part, the names I’m just flat out tired of hearing. A few others were eliminated because of personal preference.

Girls:
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]

Boys:
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]

My favorites are [name]Charles[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Peter[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name].