No middle name

Hubby and I went back and forth choosing a name for our daughter the entire 9mo. He didn’t like anything!! He finally agreed to [name]Ava[/name], which is terribly common, yet still beautiful. Then he refused a middle name, which I had chosen to be [name]Grace[/name]. And so, our baby’s first name is [name]Ava[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. It’s frustrating bc when I introduce her everyone thinks I’m adding her middle name to the introduction and I’m not. Ugh! I think the name is beautiful, but perhaps it was a good idea that won’t work out. Thoughts?

I think that as she gets older people will learn that her first name is [name]Ava[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. When babies are born and people ask the name, parents almost always give the first and middle name. Her name is beautiful, and I love that adding the [name]Grace[/name] to it makes it a little less common. Congratulations on your daughter!

I know this won’t help when you’re saying her name out loud, but hyphenating it to [name]Ava[/name]-[name]Grace[/name] should help considerably in the future. Or spell it AvaGrace. That may looks strange to you, but my grandmother is [name]JoAnn[/name] (no middle name) and capitalizing it this way seems to help others realize that there is no middle.

Daisylou has a point about everyone saying their baby’s whole name at first (which I don’t get - I don’t offer my children’s middle unless asked) but once she’s older people will get that it’s her whole name.

I know an adult [name]Ann[/name]-[name]Morgan[/name], and because I saw her name written out and hyphenated before we were introduced, I think it helped remind me that her name isn’t [name]Ann[/name]. Same for a friend’s daugher, [name]Jovie[/name]-[name]Kate[/name].

Hyphenating should also help when she’s older and filling out forms. A friend named [name]Eva[/name] [name]Gail[/name] had a terrible time with IDs, applications, etc., because when someone then entered her name into the system it came out [name]Eva[/name] G., as they assumed [name]Gail[/name] was her middle. When she got married she decided to do a full name change and made the spelling Evagail.

One last consideration - in certain instances, you can’t NOT have a middle name. The military is one. If she joined the military (or married someone in the military) all forms and ID for [name]Ava[/name] [name]Grace[/name] would read “[name]Ava[/name] [name]Grace[/name] NMN [name]Smith[/name]” (for No Middle Name).