No nickname names -- need more suggestions!

I know there’s a Nameberry list called “Names with No Nickname” but it’s fairly short…do any others come to mind???

[name]Blaine[/name]
[name]Conner[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Ben[/name]
[name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Jake[/name]
[name]Pilot[/name]
[name]Randy[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Kellan[/name]

[name]Joy[/name]
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Saige[/name]
[name]Seren[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Jax[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
:slight_smile:

Well, you can pretty much nickname any name, but these are names without formal nicknames:
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]/[name]Blaine[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name] ([name]Em[/name]? Too female)
[name]Jasper[/name]

I agree with @sparrowfinch you really can make a nn of basically anything.
I’d say if you want something without a formal nn the shorter the better. (It also starts making nn’s redundant).
[name]Bay[/name]
[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
Lior
[name]Gray[/name]

Cowen (or its variations–Cowan, [name]Coen[/name], [name]Koen[/name]). [name]Orrin[/name]. [name]Derek[/name] (although I called my brother [name]Derek[/name] The [name]Duke[/name]), [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Garrett[/name], [name]Chad[/name], [name]Myles[/name]. [name]Jack[/name].

I like the suggestions of [name]Jack[/name], [name]Gray[/name], Cowan, [name]Ethan[/name]/[name]Evan[/name], [name]Liam[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Zane[/name], [name]Everett[/name] (although I would probably use the nn Ev for this, and a lot of others like [name]Ever[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name]), [name]Holden[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]George[/name], and [name]Emmett[/name].

I would add:

[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name] ([name]Cale[/name]? how much effort does it take to add one letter? I do like [name]Caleb[/name] nn [name]Cal[/name], but I think for the most part I’d just use [name]Caleb[/name]!)
[name]Spencer[/name] (Eh. I guess there’s [name]Spence[/name], but I sort of doubt it would get shortened that often)
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]/[name]Luc[/name]
[name]Declan[/name] (although I suppose there’s Dec/[name]Dex[/name])
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Pax[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] (I suppose it’s still shortened to [name]Hank[/name] or [name]Harry[/name] or [name]Hal[/name], but it seems like most people just keep [name]Henry[/name] on its own!)
[name]Jonah[/name]/[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]

I think you’re probably safe with either one-syllable names ([name]Luke[/name], [name]Zane[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Max[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]George[/name], etc.) or names that are actual diminutives/nicknames themselves ([name]Max[/name], [name]Theo[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Jack[/name]), or names that appear slightly nicknamey, but are in fact names on their own ([name]Leo[/name], [name]Gray[/name], etc.).

I think if you go over 2 syllables, you’ll probably get into nickname category, though. A lot of 2-syllable traditional boys’ names are shortened ([name]William[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Robert[/name]) are even shortened. [name]Even[/name] one-syllable names like [name]John[/name] and [name]James[/name] get nicknames.

Good luck!