No one gets her nickname

Hi Berries!!
We had a baby girl over 5 months ago and you all helped greatly with her name :slight_smile:
We’ve named her [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] “[name_u]Billie[/name_u]”. Everytime I try to explain that we call her [name_u]Billie[/name_u] but her name is [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], I’m met with blank stares. No one understands how [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is a nn for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and its starting to bum me out so much I’m thinking of changing her name. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband LOVES [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] so it would take alot of persuasion on my end for him to agree to dropping [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. I call her [name_u]Billie[/name_u] most of the time. Thing is, she’s the most Loveable little girl and actually suits [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is very common in NZ so I liked the fact that having [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] sets her apart… But I struggle to explain her nickname and feel silly when confronted about it.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think her NN is a stretch??

Thanks so much!!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a stretch at all. It’s one of the most obvious nicknames for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]: [name_f]My[/name_f] mind would go [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Mab[/name_f]/Mabs, [name_u]Billie[/name_u] when thinking of nicknames.
I think it’d be a bit unfair to change her name when your husband loves it so much and it’s already her name. Plus, YOU like it. What other people think shouldn’t matter!

15 Likes

I don’t think it’s a stretch, and it’s definitely adorable! I looove [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]! People find something to judge with practically every name and everything a parent does, so I wouldn’t give it the time of day. Also many people have nicknames completely unrelated to their given name anyways!

Also, you don’t owe anyone an explanation if it makes you feel silly saying it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] say, that’s what we call her :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Keep her name. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is adorable, both you and your partner loved it enough to pick it for your little girl. I personally think it’s super intuitive, I’ve seen far bigger stretches on this website and in real life. [name_f]My[/name_f] advice would be to try and not let the comments get you down, no matter what you name a child there will always be people that try to give you hell about it. If you had gone with something more popular I’d bet there would be an equal chance of people making comments about her being “just another [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” or something of the sort.
Stick to your guns, it sounds like you and your husband made a fantastic choice!

7 Likes

UK here and I personally think bollacks to what other people think. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]/Billie is really sweet and it sounds like you and your partner love it.

4 Likes

Mabel “[name_u]Billie[/name_u]” is amazing! :heart_eyes: I love the balance between sweet, vintage-y [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and spunky, energetic [name_u]Billie[/name_u]. I don’t think the nickname is too much of a stretch at all; they’re clearly connected, and I’ve met people with nicknames far less clearly related to their full names and never thought anything of it. I’m really sorry that people’s reactions have been bumming you out, though–that sounds like it could be really frustrating. If it helps at all, I completely agree with @Kipperbo1 that you owe no one an explanation. [name_m]Just[/name_m] introduce her as [name_u]Billie[/name_u] if you want them to call her that, or say, “This is [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] but we call her [name_u]Billie[/name_u].” You don’t need to say anything else to justify that, because it makes perfect sense and most of all is your choice and your beautiful baby’s name! At the end of the day I hope you won’t let them get the better of you, because your daughter’s name is wonderful! :blue_heart:

4 Likes

I think I’m going to be the unpopular opinion in that I do think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is a bit of a stretch. For [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] I think of [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Belle[/name_f]. [name_u]Billie[/name_u] I don’t quite get off the bat… Id almost wonder if the questions and faces are because others are thinking there might be a significant other connection to the nickname…

HOWEVER husband loves it, [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] suits her… I would not go and try to change her name to fit a nickname. Because honestly what happens if she grows up and wants to not have a nickname? I would just keep it as is and call her what you want.

2 Likes

People are dumb :stuck_out_tongue:

I love her name! And her nickname is not that much of a stretch. I think the reactions (or non-reactions) you’re receiving are because [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is unique!

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t see the connection between [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u], but I think both names are absolutely lovely and I don’t think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is that big of a stretch. Plus, there are plenty of people who have nicknames that have no connection with their actual names.

Like everyone has said prior to me, what truly matters is that if you and your husband love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] which you both do!

1 Like

I think just changing your response will take a giant weight off your shoulders. You can smile back, offer a cheerful yup and change the conversation, whatever works for your style.

My family members all have names that are really far from their names, waaaaay further than [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u], and everyone has caught on. It’ll be fine, and little [name_u]Billie[/name_u] will have two great name options forever

6 Likes

Billie as a nn for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] makes sense to me

5 Likes

I love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u]! I don’t think it’s a stretch considering other names have far different nicknames derived from them. I think it makes the name and nickname unique and different. It also could just be one of those family nicknames.

3 Likes

To answer the question, maybe [name_u]Billie[/name_u] being its own distinct name in NZ makes it harder for some people to view it as a nn for another name. It’s slightly a stretch to my American ears too. But still, you/husband/Billie are the only opinions that matter!

It’s a name that you and your husband love and are happy with. You two, and eventually your daughter, are the only ones whose opinions matter here.

I think it’s hard when you’re super into something, be it a name or a hobby or whatever, and others don’t have the same energy when you share it with them. But I don’t think that’s reason enough to change her name. I think you should try to change your expectations of other people’s reaction to her name instead. Then you can focus on enjoying her name and her nickname to your heart’s content :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Billie is super sweet, and I love it as a nickname for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f].

I can see why non-name nerds may get a bit confused, especially if they’ve never met a [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] with that nickname before, but as others have said, it’s definitely not too much of a stretch to work as a nickname!

To note, I’m also from [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand!

3 Likes

I agree with most everyone else: keep her name, it’s beautiful!

If this helps, maybe you can start just with [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as an “unrelated” nickname for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], and stop trying to make people see how the names connect? I know lots of people whose nicknames couldn’t be farther from their actual names, so if she’s just [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] and not [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] maybe that would be better? As she grows up, I think you’ll have to explain this to less people, so it’ll just get better. Good luck!

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s a stretch, but the two names are unrelated. Also [name_u]Billie[/name_u] isn’t any shorter than [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. Probably why you’re getting blank looks?

If [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] can be [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] and [name_m]Francisco[/name_m] can be [name_m]Paco[/name_m], then [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] can be [name_u]Billie[/name_u] :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Please keep it! If she suits the name, you both love the name…thats all that matters. So what if your family/friends don’t understand where the nn is coming from? To me, [name_u]Billie[/name_u] totally makes sense!

1 Like

I think it’s pretty obvious. You see it, and that’s what matters. People just have to accept the fact that you call her [name_u]Billie[/name_u].

1 Like

It works and it’s fabulous :two_hearts: Your announcement has really stuck in my memory because I loved the clever double name you chose so much!

Both names are lovely and she’s really got the best of both worlds with a sweet vintage name and a cool, spunky nickname. It also sounds like you both love the names, so definitely don’t give that up just because some people don’t see an obvious connection between them. I think it’s there, but nicknames don’t need to be super obvious anyway.

2 Likes