No One Likes Our Favorite Name…

EVERYTHING @macy13 said!

I can’t say I love it, mainly because it seems like too much of a nickname to me, but in saying that if names like [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] are being used (which I love), then why not Leesie?

I would personally prefer [name_f]Elise[/name_f] nickname Leesie, or even [name_f]Lys[/name_f] (although obviously in [name_u]French[/name_u] the ‘s’ isn’t pronounced, so it depends on whether people ever use this with an Anglicise pronunciation or not).

I think as long as you are comfortable using the name despite others, then go for it! It’s your special child with it’s own special name, just like every baby and person on earth, even if others don’t like it

BUT if this situation has made you feel uncomfortable in using this name and you want suggestions that have the same feel (and that to lot could use leesie as a NN)

Then I might suggest a name like:

[name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_f]Alisia[/name_f] (ah-lee-see-ah)
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Alisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alisha[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessia[/name_f]

1 Like

So many thoughtful responses on this thread! It’s true that negative to lukewarm responses are pretty inevitable in general, and especially before the baby is born, but that doesn’t make them easier to handle, in my experience! I do like the suggestion of using a more traditional name like [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f] to get to nn Leesie. But the most important thing is that YOU love the name and can feel good about it!

The potential association with [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f] is a good point/something to be aware of…it didn’t come to mind for me at first, but the spelling similarity is there.

Good luck, and congratulations!!

Unusual or unfamiliar names can often get a lukewarm response. I’ve seen time and time again on name forums that people tend to prefer names that are familiar to them, but not dated. Familiar names tend to be easier for people to spell and pronounce and have associations that people remember. It’s easy to explain “Violet, like the flower” or “Keira, like [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightley”, while a name like Leesie doesn’t have any associations that make it familiar to people.

Ultimately, if you and your husband love the name, I don’t think it should matter what other people think.

It’s all well and good as a nickname, but I can’t imagine a child loving having to live with that especially after age 8.

[name_f]Remember[/name_f] this is a whole person who will not only be a little baby, but someone who has to apply for jobs and have professional email signatures with this name!

Use it as a nickname for something like [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Liesl[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], etc! Then your child gets to decide what name to use as they grow older rather than be stuck with something you thought was cute for an infant.

1 Like

Leesie doesn’t come across as particularly strange to me - probably because it reminds me of a very normal and common Finnish name, [name_f]Liisi[/name_f] (pronounced the name as Leesie).

I do understand your hesitation though - it is hard when you only get negative reactions to a name (I knew I’d get negative reactions to my son’s name from my family so did not share it before a couple of weeks after he was born and we had settled on the full name). I think you have to decide what’s important to you in a name, and that can include other people having generally positive reactions to it. If you go with a more unusual name, dealing with surprised/confused reactions is going to be part of that. I believe that dealing with those reactions is worth it if it is the perfect name to you in all the other ways, though, and if the name being generally liked isn’t a priority to you.

I like the suggestions from others to consider using it as a nickname. As it is it actually makes me think of car dealerships and agree with those wondering if it would age well.

They don’t like it because they don’t have a sweet baby girl they can attach it to yet, like they will in January. This is why it’s not a good idea to share names with too many others because EVERYONE has an opinion and YOURS is the ONLY one that matters. If it was a name that rhymed with or sounded like something really negative or something, well that i kind of get. But Leesie is cute and original. I really like it! If there is a name that really speaks to your, no BOTH of your hearts, that is a gift. So don’t give up on it just yet, and certainly NOT for the sake of others. Just give up on talking to others about it instead.:laughing: jk. Maybe it would help to give yourselves a week or two to breathe; step away from it, not think about it, clear the noise, then come back to it, just the two of you. If you REALLY still feel like you need another name what about naming her Elise but calling her by the nn Leesie. Still though, dont abandon Leesie just yet. It really is such a cool -and useable- name! Best wishes and congrats!

Use it as a nickname! Full names Leesie could work for:
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] (highly recommend)
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

At a stretch:
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]

Use the name you love. [name_f]My[/name_f] whole family hated my son’s name. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother-in-law hated his middle name. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad insisted he’d never call him [name_m]Benton[/name_m], only [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. You know I’ve never heard him call [name_m]Benton[/name_m] “Ben”. And my mother inlaw will call him [name_m]Benton[/name_m] [name_m]Grover[/name_m]. He’s 12 now and everyone loves his name now that it’s associated with the awesome young man that he is. Leesie is cute. Don’t say goodbye to your old friend.

1 Like