Noa - Suitable for a girl?

I came across a female Noah in the Bible and fell in love! But I also know that many will associate it with a male name, but I guess the same could be for Blake, Sawyer, Collin, Charlie, etc. I just don’t wanna make her life harder just because I love a name.

I am wanting to spell it with out an “h” though.

So just Noa.
What are your thoughts on that name?

Other names we like:

Lois
Emery
Gemma (as a middle name after his grandma)
Louisa
Harper
Hazel
Freya
Romy
Briar
Rory
Matilda
Jordan

Our other kids are named:

Nina Laura
Joy Emily
Connor Hugo
Gabriel Jesse
Hadassah Lotte

I know a little 5 year old Noa, and to me it seems very feminine without the H.
It does feel a bit hip and trendy though. I’m also thinking you’ve got this far without letter repeats, why not keep going - esp with Noa almost being Joy and Nina smooshed?
I would go for Romy, Freya, Lois, Briar or Louisa! Probably Lois or Romy. But if you choose Noa, it’s very sweet m and sparkly, and def feels girly to me.

I had a female classmate named [name_u]Noa[/name_u], nobody ever made any comparisons to the boy’s name [name_u]Noah[/name_u].
[name_u]Noa[/name_u] and [name_f]Nina[/name_f] are a little too close for sisters, for me personally. I like [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], and [name_u]Briar[/name_u].

I’ve met a couple female Noa’s, so i definitely think it is useable for a girl. With your other kids i really like [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_u]Romy[/name_u].

I know of several girl Noa’s- teenager to infant. It works!

I do think with your current sibset though I prefer [name_u]Jordan[/name_u].

[name_u]Noa[/name_u] is a very well established hebrew girl name. I love it!

1 Like

[name_u]Noa[/name_u] is a biblical female name- completely different from [name_u]Noah[/name_u] (they’re pronounced really differently in Hebrew.) [name_u]Noa[/name_u] one of the top names for girls in [name_u]Israel[/name_u] now, and I know many of them.

It’s a stunning name - no wonder it’s so popular.

1 Like

I know someone with a little [name_u]Noa[/name_u] so definitely feels usable to me. However, I think it’s too close to sibling [name_f]Nina[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_u]Noa[/name_u] is an incredibly popular Israeli girls name she’s within the top 10 off the popularity charts for Israeli girl names so she’s very established girls name. She is a completely separate name and pronounced differently to [name_u]Noah[/name_u] in Hebrew. I really like [name_u]Noa[/name_u] she’s sweet, bright and fashionable. Also names are so gender fluid nowadays I wouldn’t worry if comparisons are made to [name_u]Noah[/name_u] which probably would happen outside Israel/Jewish communities. The occasional spelling error it’s easy enough to correct and as [name_u]Noa[/name_u] is an established name gaining popularity across the world not just in [name_u]Israel[/name_u] I think the name will be fine.

Looking at your sibling set I think [name_u]Noa[/name_u] is a bit of a tongue twister with [name_f]Nina[/name_f] just because both names have very strong ‘n’ and ‘a’ sounds. I think [name_f]Lois[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] + [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] fit better within your sibling set.

I notice that your digging Hebrew/fashionable Israeli names (funnily enough [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] is my Hebrew name) so you may like other popular Israeli choices [name_f]Tamar[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_u]Yael[/name_u], [name_f]Shira[/name_f], [name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_u]Lior[/name_u] + [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_u]Noa[/name_u] is sweet - I’ve met a female [name_u]Noa[/name_u] and it worked for her. I do find it a tad matchy with [name_f]Nina[/name_f] though, if that worries you.

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Noa[/name_u] would be a cute combo though

Definitely yes. It is fresh, modern yet sweet.

Yes, [name_u]Noa[/name_u] is suitable for a girl. It’s feminine in more languages than it is masculine. Though in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking environment, most people are likely to confuse it with [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. Either way, I don’t like it very much.

1 Like