Nobody likes our name

My husband and i have 2 children with our third on the way. we picked a girls name we really love but when we told people they laughed and said no way what do you think of [name]Veda[/name] [name]Rose[/name] brother is [name]Aston[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Sister[/name] is [name]Ava[/name] [name]Isobel[/name]

When I lived in [name]Colorado[/name] Springs, I went to an Aveda hair salon called [name]Veda[/name]. [name]Veda[/name] is an okay name - personally, I don’t really like it at all. But there are so many wonderful names out there, that I think you could do a lot better than [name]Veda[/name]. Plus your older children have lovely names so poor little [name]Veda[/name] might feel cheated. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Veronica[/name] nn [name]Vera[/name]? I like [name]Vera[/name] better than [name]Veda[/name]. Or what about the gorgeous [name]Viola[/name]?

I don’t mind [name]Veda[/name], but I think it sounds very similar to [name]Ava[/name].

[name]How[/name] about:

[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Leda[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]

Best of luck! My advice, don’t tell your family members the name you’ve chosen :slight_smile: They will love her when they meet her and want focus on the name so much!

I like the name… but I don’t think it fits well with your sibset.

I personally don’t love it but the question is does my (or anyone else’s) opinion matter?

[name]Just[/name] from looking at this post, it has been viewed nearly 50 times and only three brave responses… Thus my hunch is that if more people liked [name]Veda[/name] they would have written to stick up for her!

I agree with other poster about the sibset not flowing well.

I guess in the end you’ll just have to ask yourself whether others opinions matter. I am guessing because you posted here they do and like the rest of us you want your child to have a name that feels attractive to those she meets.

Here are a few other suggestions that might go with [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aston[/name] better:

[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Andra[/name]
[name]Ashlynn[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Halle[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Fallon[/name]
[name]Galen[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] ([name]Olive[/name]'s suggestion, so cute!)

I’m sorry you’re having a hard time with the name. :frowning: I think [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Veda[/name] (I remember that name from My Girl!) sounding too much alike is a more important issue than people not liking [name]Veda[/name]. I tried to say the names out loud, as though I was calling [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Veda[/name] to dinner, and it came out as “[name]Ava[/name] and Vayva.” It may be just me, but the names are a potential tongue-twister!

[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and:

[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] (EZ-may)
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]

I really love so many of the previous suggestions, such as [name]Lila[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Vera[/name]/[name]Veronica[/name], [name]Willa[/name], etc.! That said, if you want to go with [name]Veda[/name], you should go for it!

I love [name]Veda[/name]”it’s strong, unique, and paired with [name]Rose[/name] very feminine. It’s true that it does sound quite close to [name]Ava[/name], but I don’t think that’s a reason not to do it. If it’s your favorite name, I say go for it! Once she is born everyone will forget that [name]Veda[/name] isn’t their favorite name and will fall in love with her, and therefore, fall in love with her name too! [name]Vera[/name]'s another option if the [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Veda[/name] sound-a-like sound bothers you. But again, I say name her the name you love”not the name those around you love.

Is it pronounced Vee-da or Vay-da? If it’s Vee-da, I really like it. Vay-da I don’t like so much, and definitely think it would be confusing with [name]Ava[/name]. I think [name]Vera[/name] is a great suggestion.

Yeah, I thought it was pronounced Vayda. If it’s Vee-da, I would like it a lot better. But Vee-da should be spelled [name]Vida[/name], I think. No, that looks like Vie-da. In Spanish it’s [name]Vida[/name] pronounced Vee-da.

I worry about how to say it, Vay-da sounds like something out of star wars.

[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Amy[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Courtney[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aston[/name] & [name]Lucy[/name]

Some ideas (may be repeating other poster’s ideas):
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Arleigh[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Ardith[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Stella[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Maris[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Briony[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Flora[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Marin[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Talia[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Aston[/name], and [name]Vivian[/name]

Also thought of [name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Twila[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Frances[/name]
Extra fusty names - fun, fun, fun!
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Francine[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name]. I have decided that [name]Francine[/name] is an uber, uber, cool name! Why not be on the edge of cool? It’s not even on the hipster list. I know an older lady who adores this name. I think her real name is [name]Frances[/name], but she goes by [name]Fran[/name].
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Irene[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Patricia[/name] nn Paisha
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Dorothy[/name] nn [name]Dorie[/name]

Something fresh and very different:
[name]Ava[/name], [name]Austin[/name], and [name]Percival[/name] for a girl nn [name]Percy[/name] (I am half watching “The [name]Love[/name] Song for [name]Bobby[/name] [name]Long[/name]”. [name]Scarlett[/name] Johannsen is playing a character named [name]Percy[/name]. Very cute and spunky name! [name]Love[/name] it! But I would love it as a nn for [name]Percival[/name] even more.

I don’t personally like it, but its not a name thats gonna cause her to be bullied or whatever, I think you should stick with it if you really like it.

I agree. [name]Don[/name]'t use [name]Veda[/name]. I think some of the names that the other ladies suggested compliment [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aston[/name] so much better!

[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (pretty when said with both names)
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Amalia[/name] ([name]Ama[/name]-[name]Lee[/name]-a)
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name] (chic)
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name] (love this one with sister [name]Ava[/name]!)
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] (always have loved this Irish original)
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (beautiful if always said with both names)
[name]Alaina[/name] (nick name [name]Lainey[/name])
[name]Angelina[/name]

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I love that name! It’s on my list, but I prefer it spelled [name]Vada[/name]. It might be more intuitive to pronounce that way, since it contains [name]Ada[/name].

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I really don’t understand why everyone hates it so much. The only thing about it for you is that it sounds so much like [name]Ava[/name], that’s what would put me off of using it.

I think [name]Veda[/name] is a beautiful name and if you love it you should use it. I don’t think you should worry about what your friends and family think, it isn’t their baby and they’ll adapt to whatever you choose. I also think it is very cool to be able to give her such a spiritual name without it being completely obvious, as the Vedas are sacred Hindu texts. Good luck!

I know a [name]Veda[/name], and she pronounces it VEE-da.

I like it, and for me, it doesn’t sound too close to [name]Ava[/name]. My advice is to not worry too much about whether or not other people approve; it’s your baby and if you really love it, then go for it. You can’t please everyone - nor should you!

[name]Matthew[/name] Mcconauhey & [name]Camilla[/name] just had a baby girl and they named her [name]Vida[/name] because it means life in Portuguese! good luck!

Personally, i think [name]Veda[/name] is a little too similar to [name]Ava[/name].

My advice - don’t tell family and friends beforehand!!