Norma

With [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], etc. coming back around, is there a reason [name_f]Norma[/name_f] is never mentioned?

I adore [name_f]Norma[/name_f] Shearer (my Grandma’s favorite actress). It’s similar in sound to [name_f]Nora[/name_f], which is quite popular. It’s not clunky in any way, to my ears.

But my SO’s mother had a stepmother named [name_f]Norma[/name_f] who was particularly awful. As in, straight out of [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] awful. So obviously I will never be able to use it.

But what do you all think of it, and is there a particular reason why it hasn’t seemed to come around in the way that [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], and the rest have?

To me, I find the “orm” sound unappealing. While [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], etc seem dainty and sweet, [name_f]Norma[/name_f] feels bulkier and less elegant.

I also think its similarity to the word normal might be hindering its resurrection.

3 Likes

Norma makes a beautiful middle name but I don’t see it coming back as it doesn’t have the vintage charm and is more so a uncool grandma type name compared to [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], which is much sweeter and elegant

It’s ok. I think it sounds a bit drab compared to the other names you listed. I do however really like [name_f]Nancy[/name_f].

It makes me think of Bates Motel / Psycho, maybe that’s why? Not sure if it’s the same association for other folks. It’s not something that would stop me from using a name, but perhaps others.

i love vintage names but [name_f]Norma[/name_f] just doesn’t appeal to me. I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f] though :heart:

1 Like

I kinda like it, but it’s not great. I prefer [name_f]Nora[/name_f]/Norah.

I would say that some old-fashioned names make a comeback, but others don’t. E.g. [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]… There’s nothing inherently wrong with these names, but they don’t sound fashionable nowadays.

To me [name_f]Norma[/name_f] seems rather dated. I also don’t care for its similarity to the word “normal”. Maybe in a few years’ time it will sound fresh again though.

Whenever I see ‘[name_f]Norma[/name_f]’ my brain immediately goes ‘[name_f]Nanna[/name_f] [name_f]Norma[/name_f]!’ simply because that’s my great grandmothers name, so in my mind [name_f]Norma[/name_f] is quite an ‘old lady’ name :slight_smile:
It might be the ‘orm’ sound which is why many people aren’t fond of it, it’s not exactly the most modern or trendy sound among recent names.

When I think of norma I think of my lovely neighbour from my old house and for me that’s quite a bulky heavy name compared to [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Although it is quite popular being at #29, maybe a Noranne or something, and add a prefix on the end.

Good luck with everything!

I agree that [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is just softer and more appealing than [name_f]Norma[/name_f]. [name_f]Norma[/name_f] is harsh and just a mouthful to me. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is [name_f]Norma[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] which is a good or bad association depending on if you like [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] but even she was urged to change her name!

Good question.

Norman also doesn’t seem to have come around yet ([name_m]Norman[/name_m] [name_m]Bates[/name_m]? Stormin’ [name_m]Norman[/name_m]?).

I don’t think [name_m]Norm[/name_m] is a beautiful word or sound so that’s probably it.

And yet I can imagine a sharp, savvy woman named [name_f]Norma[/name_f], so maybe it’s time will come (and for boys, I do have a soft spot for [name_m]Normy[/name_m]). :slight_smile:

Ah, but I have great hopes for [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], and [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] … love them all!

And they have some lovely nns: [name_f]Gert[/name_f], [name_f]Gertie[/name_f], [name_f]Gerda[/name_f], [name_f]Trudie[/name_f], [name_f]Trudy[/name_f], [name_u]True[/name_u]. [name_f]Glad[/name_f], Gladdie, [name_f]Gladness[/name_f], [name_f]Gladiola[/name_f], [name_f]Essie[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f]…

1 Like

Norma still feels very clunky and a bit ungainly, sorry

Yes, I hope [name_f]Gladys[/name_f] gets revived at some point, because it’s quite a nice name once you separate it from the “old-fashioned” association.

1 Like

I immediately think [name_f]Norma[/name_f] [name_m]Bates[/name_m]. It’s not attractive imo.

I don’t think it has a pleasant sound, rather drab.

It’s a family name so I’d love to like it, but it does sound clunky to me and not in a quirky vintage way, just heavy and unappealing. I think it’s the closed sound of ‘orm’ that puts me off, and the sound isn’t particularly feminine which adds to the heavy clunky feel of it.

I used to have a thing for this name… I think it’s the “rma” ending and the similarity to “normal” that puts people off.