Norse/scandi middles to go with Enid?

I did a quick preliminary poll in the quick poll thread but I honestly think I need a place for suggestions so we’re dedicating a thread to Norse/scandi middle names that go with [name_f]Enid[/name_f].

My partner expressed possibly wanting to use a name in this range of language roots for a future baby #2, and appreciating the fact that he’s giving input, I wanted to find someone ions to add to our longer combo list. I’m looking at combos for [name_f]Enid[/name_f] specifically right now, but feel free to suggest names to go with others on my UC too!
Most of my knowledge name wise is with romance languages, and then I have fair knowledge of Welsh, [name_f]English[/name_f], Scottish, and Greek names. I do have some familiarity with germanic names which has been a good baseline since many Nordic names have old germanic roots but I don’t have a strong familiarity with this language group. I’m hoping there are some folks here on Nameberry with greater knowledge who can help give us some ideas.

Enid [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] has been added to the big list after the soft results of my quick poll, and in general I’m finding myself liking S starting names of this etymological type. So I’m wondering, which of these S names you like with [name_f]Enid[/name_f]?

• Enid Sanfrida
  • Enid Sigdora
  • Enid Sigruna/Sigrun
  • Enid Sigvalda
  • Enid [name_f]Swanhilda[/name_f]/Svanhilda/Sunilda

0 voters

1 Like

Current bank:
Enid Sunniva
Enid Viveca
Enid Brunhilda/ Brunhilde/ Brunhildur
Enid Sigdora/ Sigthora
Enid Giertrue
Enid Lilja
Enid Swanhilda/ Sunilda
Enid Thorhilda
Enid Marsibil/ Marzibil
Enid Bergina/ Berginia
Enid Ishildur

General bank- names I like for possible combos with other names on my UC, not with Enid:
Hildegard/ Hildegarde
Frida
Ismey
Ylfa
Thelma
Idunn/ Iduna
Valkyrja
Thora
Soley
Vala
Gauthild

1 Like

Signy has been a guilty pleasure name for me for a few weeks now! I think [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Signy[/name_f] would be beautiful.

1 Like

Apparently I have some popular [name_u]Berry[/name_u] opinions. :joy:

1 Like

[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Silke[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Solveig[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Sølvi
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Sóley[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Sigrun[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Signe[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Senja[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Sonja[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Synnøve

1 Like

I think [name_f]Enid[/name_f] Sunilda a lot! And [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] of course

1 Like

Well dang i guess I’m jist about the onky one who like Sigvalda :sweat_smile:

@katkabet [name_f]Sóley[/name_f] is the name of a musician I really like and I did always think her name was pretty- thank you for the suggestion. [name_f]Sonja[/name_f] is lovely as well.

@lateaugust is [name_f]Silke[/name_f] related to Selke/ [name_f]Selka[/name_f]? I really like it.

Maybe…

[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Viveka[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_u]Alva[/name_u]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Dagmar[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Freja[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Hildur[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Josefin[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Tekla[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Ragnhild
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Kerstin[/name_f]

You might find this site helpful for some more inspiration: https://www.nordicnames.de/

1 Like

Enid [name_f]Swanhilda[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, that site has been very helpful in my search so far! It’s just a lot to try and go through!

I have [name_f]Viveca[/name_f] and [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] saved in the small bank of names I have so far, [name_u]Alva[/name_u], [name_f]Dagmar[/name_f], [name_f]Freja[/name_f], and Ragnhild are great suggestions, thank you! I really like [name_f]Hildur[/name_f] but not sure if I love the alliteration with out H surname (not that that really matter too much in the middle.) I found Ishildur last night, which mich sound just different enough to curve my reservations.

1 Like

I know what you mean - the database is great but it’s a lot to browse through! I also only recently (last week…) noticed that they have a name finder which is like the Nameberry advanced search. I’d just been going through endless lists manually before…

1 Like

Wow that’s very helpful!

1 Like

Enid Alfhild
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Åshild
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Bodil
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Eydís
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Hulda[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] Reidun
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Saga[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Tindra[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Tordis[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Tove[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Ylva[/name_f]

2 Likes

Enid Swanhilda is my favorite from the poll, but Enid Sunniva is my absolute favorite. Can I suggest Enid Svea and Enid Skadi? :grin:

2 Likes

I second [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Svea[/name_f]. I also thought of [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] and Saphirra (sp?) although they don’t fit the bill for nordic/scandinavian. I know a girl from Denmark who is named [name_f]Signe[/name_f] and she pronounces it similar to [name_f]Sena[/name_f].

Ok edit to add: safira showed up on the nordic website! Sefa, Sakarine, Sesilie, Serafina, Sandrine

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions! I’m liking [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Saga[/name_f]

Tbh my personal favorites tend to be Greek and Latin names and many of them are used in scandi countries directly or with slight spelling variations, so I’m definitely approaching that angle as a point of compromise. But I’m still trying to include a few truly Norse names in the mix.

1 Like