North vs. South

Comparing 2 different daycares, one in Michigan, the other in [name]Georgia[/name]

Girls in Michigan:
Alasen
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Angelina[/name]
AnnaFaye
[name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Eternity[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name]
[name]Hailee[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Julianna[/name]
[name]Katelyn[/name]
[name]Krystian[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]McKenna[/name]
[name]Megan[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name]
[name]Trinity[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]

Girls in [name]Georgia[/name]:
[name]Anderson[/name]
Chyles
[name]Conner[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Flemming[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]

What do you think???

Seriously?! I almost don’t believe you… but at the same time seems realistic. [name]Anderson[/name] on a girl? If I would have guessed, I would have said that the [name]Georgia[/name] group were boys. The only “real” girl names are [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Zoe[/name]!

My favorites:
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]

Maybe I like the names from Michigan better because I grew up in Minnesota. Doesn’t get much more northern than that!

I actually know a little girl named [name]Anderson[/name] that goes by [name]Andie[/name] (I live in [name]Atlanta[/name]). Mollyk, there’s a looong tradition in the South of giving your child, male or female, the mother’s maiden name. I think that tradition has morphed into many surnames being considered normal for girls. I happen to love girly names on girls, so I’m not defending the practice :slight_smile: But throughout my life I’ve met girls named [name]Stewart[/name], [name]Earl[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Porter[/name] (my cousin’s wife actually), and [name]Davis[/name]. It’s odd, yes, but very much accepted. It does seem to be less common these days, at least in [name]Atlanta[/name]. Most of the little girls I know have names like [name]Lena[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], and the like.

I was surprised to see some yooneek spellings on the Michigan list”Alasen, [name]Katelyn[/name], [name]Krystian[/name]”I thought that was another silly Southern thing.

That’s pretty offensive. People are silly everywhere. What other “silly Southern things” are you talking about?

I’m from the South so I guess I was trying to be more self-effacing than offensive :slight_smile: The other silly thing I was referring to is the naming convention we were discussing (giving girls surnames, which I believe is a tradition started in the South). But really, we Southerners do lots of silly things don’t you think? I mean my mother’s idea of a good dessert is cornbread with buttermilk! I guess I think of it more as quirky than silly. I’m sorry you took it as an insult, but that wasn’t my intention.

My favorites from both lists -

[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Julianna[/name] but prefer it spelled [name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name] but I prefer [name]Loren[/name].
[name]Mia[/name] - oh so popular but it’s my daughters name.
[name]Sydney[/name] - I like [name]Sidney[/name] spelling which I guess is more for boys.
[name]Zoe[/name]

I definitely prefer [name]Anderson[/name] over Alasen because [name]Anderson[/name] is most likely named [name]Anderson[/name] because it was a family name, while Alasen is named Alasen because her parents didn’t consider [name]Allison[/name] “yooneek” enough. And I’d rather have a bunch of little girl [name]Anderson[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Carson[/name] as apposed to Alasen, [name]Eternity[/name]/[name]Trinity[/name], [name]Krystian[/name] or [name]Mia[/name] (which to me, is supposed to mean missing in action and nothing else!).

The ones I really LIKE:
[name]Amelia[/name]- but NOT with the dreadful [name]Mia[/name] nickname
[name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Katelyn[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]

Yes, I am picky.

I knew that using surnames as fist names was a southern tradition. I did not know that it was usually the mother’s maiden name, or that it was also done with girls. Guess you learn something new everyday!

I didn’t even recognize Alasen as a yooneek spelling of [name]Allison[/name]! I just thought it was a name I had never seen before. I was trying to figure out how it would be pronounced. I think that (unfortunately) yooneek spellings are used all over the country.

A girl named [name]Earl[/name]?! Sounds like something my husband would want to do. My son’s name is [name]Porter[/name], I have yet to meet another [name]Porter[/name], much less a girl.

No problem. Yes we Southerners do do plenty of silly things. I only recently found out that giving surnames as first names was a Southern thing. It’s not restricted to girls, however. I know boys named [name]Carson[/name] and [name]Rice[/name] (both surnames.) It doesn’t have to be a maiden name, just a surname other than the father’s that wouldn’t normally show up in the name. My middle name is my mother’s maiden and if you look at the full names of seniors in my old hs yearbooks, about half of them have surname middle names.

In my opinion the middle name spot is for a “meaningful” name. As in a family surname or namesake. Unless you give a girl a unisex name, then definitely make the mn girly. I think people get too obsessed with the flow of the first and middle name considering the only time I’ve ever heard my full name used is for graduations. Other than that it’s just writing it on forms.

I would definitely use [name]Anderson[/name] for a middle name for a girl if it was a family name and maybe a first for a boy. Not, however, as a first. I think if the girl is very confident then she could totally rock the name, if not it would be unfortunate.

Very ramble-y post…

And I meant that I only recently realized it was considered a Southern tradition - I thought using surnames was normal across the country. I think it’s becoming more common, right?

I think using surnames as a first name is an old custom:
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Madison[/name] / [name]Addison[/name]
[name]Jordan[/name]
All the “place” names with “ley” at end (like mine!)
I love the last/ first but I am not sure how a girl could carry [name]Earl[/name].
And I agree, I like the MN to be a “significant” family meaning. My kids love learning about how I chose their names.

Most of the names you listed don’t come from surnames. [name]Edward[/name], [name]Michael[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], and [name]Jordan[/name] were all given names before they were surnames.

i like…
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]McKenna[/name]
[name]Riley[/name] <333
[name]Zoe[/name] <333
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Conner[/name] (love this on a girl)

[name]Flemming[/name]!! Thats horrid! What is their nickname, [name]Flem[/name]?!

Surnames as a first name is a longstanding southern tradition. Girls are included. In most cases, it is a family name. I knew a girl at college named [name]Hayes[/name] (I thought it was really pretty). I’ve known Perrys and Mackenzies and Ashleys (was a last name long before it was a first name). I wanted to name my first daughter [name]Haynes[/name], but I got talked out of it. I’m going with [name]Hannah[/name] (also a family surname instead)