Not ditching Roslyn, but open to more suggestions. HELP!

My daughter’s name is [name]Jacquelyn[/name] and she loves it spelt this way. Great to ‘meet’ another [name]Jacquelyn[/name]! Yay![/quote]

I’m glad she likes it, it is a great name and always loved it growing up- None of that “why can’t I be [name]Jenna[/name] or [name]Amber[/name]?!” angst.The worst nickname anyone could come up with was jac-o-lantern which only came up once a year, and made me laugh. Plus I go by nn Jacqi instead of the usual/inevitable [name]Jackie[/name]. Cheers![/quote]

My daughter is called [name]Jac[/name] by all her friends but her husband, Dad, Mum, family all call her [name]Jacquelyn[/name].

A few more names that go with [name]Alanna[/name]

[name]Glenna[/name]
[name]Rhianna[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Deidre[/name]
[name]Megan[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] there. These are a few names I thought of-

[name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Cadenza[/name]
[name]Norina[/name]
[name]Sierra[/name]
[name]Cherish[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Letizia[/name]
[name]Charlize[/name]
[name]Chiara[/name]
[name]Chantelle[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Marisa[/name]
[name]Beatriz[/name]
[name]Inez[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] this helps. [name]Will[/name] look forward to hearing what you and your husband eventually decide on.

Okay, but like I said earlier, [name]Sarina[/name] is a name completely different from [name]Serena[/name], with a different origin, meaning, and pronunciation. Where I am from, [name]Serena[/name] isn’t that popular, but [name]Selena[/name] is getting more and more popular. I think [name]Sarina[/name] is beautiful, but if you are concerned, I understand…

As for the [name]Anastasia[/name] issue, those are the only nicknames I’ve heard for it, too, and I must agree with you that they aren’t that fabulous. I could go for [name]Ana[/name] or [name]Annie[/name], but you don’t care for that - maybe that would make a better middle name, then, because people are bound to shorten it!

Of your other choices, I like [name]Sadie[/name], but it feels to childish and nicknamey when compared to the elegant [name]Alanna[/name]. But, it is a form of [name]Sarah[/name] - you must like those! [name]Aniceta[/name] looks like a misspelling of something to me, or perhaps a region in [name]Italy[/name]. If your husband doesn’t care for [name]Alexandra[/name], I can’t see him going for [name]Alessandra[/name], either, and I feel like it is more masculine for some reason (call me crazy!). Also, I prefer [name]Marisa[/name] to [name]Arissa[/name]. [name]Arissa[/name] looks like Aristocats or [name]Arista[/name] or something to me, just has a non-name-like quality about it! Unfortunately, I don’t think [name]Chessley[/name] has the same feminine elegance as [name]Alanna[/name], and is [name]Cipriana[/name] a restaurant? I’m incredibly sorry to be so harsh!

As for [name]Geneva[/name], I understand your reasoning entirely, but what about [name]Ginevra[/name]? This Italian form of [name]Genevieve[/name], meaning “fair one,” could be shortened to [name]Ginny[/name].

Here are some other forms of [name]Sarah[/name] for you to consider - [name]Amira[/name] (close to [name]Alanna[/name]), [name]Sara[/name] (would look cute with [name]Alanna[/name]), [name]Sarai[/name], [name]Sariah[/name], and [name]Zara[/name].

Some others you may enjoy. I am not going to suggest any name that begins with an A or a vowel.

[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Brielle[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]*
[name]Cecile[/name]*
[name]Corina[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]*
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Maelie[/name] (too close to [name]Miley[/name], perhaps?)
[name]Margot[/name]*
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]*
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]*
[name]Violet[/name] (likely too popular for you…)

That’s all from me for awhile, I suppose. Good luck!

Sorry for repeats…

[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Malia[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Aisling[/name]
[name]Elysia[/name]
[name]Katrina[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Aviva[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Liora[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Zelia[/name]
[name]Suzanne[/name]
Marlisa
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
Miraia

Ricimaca - well hi there neighbor! lol

So how could I go about finding out how popular a name is in an area or state? B/c [name]Sarina[/name] is nice, and if its not too popular here, I’d definitely put more consideration into it.

[name]Lemon[/name] - I already took [name]Chessley[/name] and [name]Cipriana[/name] off my list. It was one of those “hmmm, well that’s an interesting name” at first, but then after looking at it I realized it really isn’t. lol

Here are some names that I like from the ones everyone has posted.

[name]Caitlin[/name] - I like, but it has become very popular, especially here.
[name]Catriona[/name] - I like, but I know this will lead to mispn of the name - I guess its supposed to be pn [name]Catrina[/name] (the O is silent).
[name]Priscilla[/name] - Since I was a little girl I’ve always liked this name, but I know that there will be teasing with it - prissy, miss priss, etc.
[name]Genevieve[/name] - I used to hate this name, but I have become interested in it lately.
[name]Brielle[/name] - I liked, actually it was [name]Briella[/name] - but hubby didn’t - at all.
[name]Mirabelle[/name] - this name also interests me - though it’s not something that I thought would have.
[name]Angelica[/name] - a possibility, but I know SOOOO many [name]Angie[/name]'s and [name]Angel[/name]'s
[name]Sariah[/name] - i’m assuming this is pn Suh-rye-uh. I love this name. I had a friend growing up named [name]Suraya[/name] pn Suh-rye-uh, and I always liked it. But hubby doesn’t. I already tried.

Irisrose - you put this name…
Marlisa - this peaked my interest a bit, but i’m wondering if you accidentally mispelled it, trying to type [name]Marisa[/name] b/c I looked for the meaning and it’s not a name on nameberry. Did you mean to type Marlisa? If so, we’re did you hear of it?

*[name]EDIT[/name] - Ladies (and guys if there are any) thank you for all your help! PLEASE keep the suggestions coming. [name]Both[/name] hubby and I can be very picky, but it really helps to see suggestions. Again, we really appreciate it!

I did mean to type Marlisa-- I knew someone with this name, and it seemed to fit your style. I just searched for the meaning, and I found this:

MARLIS
Usage: [name]German[/name]
Combination of [name]MARIA[/name] and [name]LIESE[/name]

thank you! it’s on my list to talk to hubby about. unfortunately he is stuck out on the road - broke down (he’s a truck driver). he won’t be home until after i go to sleep, so i won’t be able to talk to him until tomorrow. AND his phone is about to die - he left his charger in his car :frowning:

According to the SS Index for the entire US, [name]Sarina[/name] is #890 for girls, whereas [name]Alanna[/name] was #492. This is data from 2002 - [name]Sarina[/name] only has data from 2000-2002, but [name]Alanna[/name]'s goes up to 2008 (#461). From 2000 to 2002, [name]Sarina[/name]'s popularity in the US actually decreased by 64 spots! So, I’d imagine if the trend continued, it is relatively unpopular. [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] is my favorite combination out of the names you like, and I really think [name]Sari[/name] is a cute nickname! Actually, a girl I used to go to school with had a sister named [name]Sari[/name] - just [name]Sari[/name] (like scary without the R). I don’t know if you use a nickname with [name]Alanna[/name]…

Oh, just for reference, some of the names around [name]Alanna[/name]'s position at #461 in 2008 are: [name]Athena[/name], [name]Hailee[/name], [name]Rosa[/name], [name]Wendy[/name], [name]Emilee[/name], [name]Sage[/name], [name]Elaina[/name], [name]Cara[/name], [name]Nia[/name], [name]Paris[/name], [name]Casey[/name], [name]Dana[/name], [name]Emery[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], and [name]Aubrie[/name] - quite the variety there, eh? The name that currently occupies [name]Sarina[/name]'s spot (#890 in 2002) for the 2008 data is … [name]LAILAH[/name]! Your husband has consistent taste, then! Names in the vicinity are [name]Mattie[/name], [name]Taniya[/name], [name]Jaslyn[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Valery[/name], [name]Mckinley[/name], [name]Micah[/name], [name]Deja[/name], [name]Frida[/name], and [name]Brynlee[/name]. [name]Sarina[/name], however, is nowhere to be found on the list of Top 1000 (wow!) for 2008! [name]Serena[/name] and [name]Selena[/name] are both in the upper 300s…

[name]Just[/name] some perspective for you! :slight_smile:

Wow! Thanks for the info! You didn’t have to go do all that, but thanks - it was really helpful. [name]Serena[/name] seems so much more popular than it really is ( I guess that would be b/c of [name]Serena[/name] [name]Williams[/name]). And [name]Sari[/name] is cute! So [name]Sarina[/name] has gone up on my list - lol.

Looking at my list now - I’d have to say my favorites are these - with the first being my most favorite:

1. [name]Sarina[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] (tied for first)
  2. [name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rozlynn[/name]
  3. [name]Maribelle[/name]
  4. [name]Noelle[/name]
  5. [name]Anastasia[/name] (would be higher if we could find a good nn)
  6. [name]Anneliese[/name]
  7. [name]Alessandra[/name]
  8. Marlisa
  9. [name]Angelica[/name]
  10. [name]Aniceta[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Arista[/name], and [name]Arissa[/name] (couldn’t decide which one I liked the least out of all these)

I’m pretty sure he’ll cut [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Aniceta[/name], [name]Maribelle[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name], and [name]Alessandra[/name] though - possibly [name]Genevieve[/name] too.

[name]Sari[/name] is my new neice’s middle name (Isibel [name]Sari[/name]) after my mom, [name]Sarah[/name], and I may use [name]Sarina[/name] as a middle name also after my mom. I love your top names, they are classy! I would go ahead and narrow to top 3, you aren’t likely to go with a lower on the list name. A good nn for [name]Anastasia[/name] is [name]Tess[/name], it isn’t a straight forward short version of [name]Anastasia[/name], but a very comfy, familiar type nn. I also knew one who went by Stassa. Of course, when she is born your new daughter may simply fit one name better than another so having 2 or 3 names is a good bet. My sis calls her new baby by [name]Sari[/name] more often than Isibel, but that was the only name she and her husband had agreed on…a few days after her birth.

Howdy, neighbor! :wink:

Here’s how you can find popularity by state, but it only goes up to 100 – [name]Serena[/name] is not listed in Illinois or Wisconsin :slight_smile:

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/namesbystate.cgi

If I may, I will suggest a few options to your top 10 (unless I already did…like with [name]Sarina[/name])

1. [name]Sarina[/name] - my fav of all the alternatives

[name]Genevieve[/name] (tied for first) - [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Josephine[/name]

1. [name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rozlynn[/name] - [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Rosaleen[/name]

2. [name]Maribelle[/name] - [name]Marianna[/name], [name]Mabel[/name] ([name]Maybelle[/name] for hubby?), [name]Marcheline[/name], [name]Margaux[/name] ([name]Mar[/name]-go), [name]Mariella[/name]

3. [name]Noelle[/name] - (xmas ish names :slight_smile: [name]Estelle[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Natalia[/name], [name]Natasha[/name], [name]Lenora[/name], [name]Norah[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Paloma[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Noelia[/name]

4. [name]Anastasia[/name] - [name]Asia[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Luciana[/name], [name]Tatiana[/name], [name]Violetta[/name],

5. [name]Anneliese[/name] - [name]Amelie[/name], [name]Adriana[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Esme[/name]

6. [name]Alessandra[/name] - [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Alesha[/name], [name]Alista[/name], [name]Alessia[/name], [name]Alexia[/name], [name]Sandrina[/name], [name]Zandra[/name]

7. Marlisa - [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Amarissa[/name], [name]Carissa[/name], [name]Maris[/name],

8. [name]Angelica[/name] - [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name], [name]Angelique[/name], [name]Amalia[/name], [name]Ariana[/name], [name]Antonia[/name], [name]Anya[/name], [name]Arden[/name], [name]Auden[/name],

9. [name]Aniceta[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Arista[/name], and [name]Arissa[/name] (couldn’t decide which one I liked the least out of all these)

Yay! I’m so glad that [name]Sarina[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] are at the top of your list. Not only are they beautiful and unique, they sound fantastic with [name]Alanna[/name]! And, [name]Sari[/name] is too cute! [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] is beautiful depending on the last name, as is [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name] or something similar…

Good luck, and let us know!

Jerinnyx - I’m assuming we will go there with atleast a couple names. That’s what we did with my older daughter. We went with his top choice and my top choice. She ended up getting my top choice, so he wants priority on this baby’s name! I told him he’s crazy.

Ricamaca - [name]Maybelle[/name], its quite funny you said that b/c hubby said yesterday “let’s call her Mayflower”. He was joking - I think. I’ll have to tell him [name]Maybelle[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] - You asked me before about [name]Alanna[/name]'s nn, and I forgot to answer you. We call her [name]Lana[/name] on occasion. [name]Jacob[/name]'s nn is [name]Jake[/name] on occasion. We usually stick with the full name though.

Well, just as I suspected - he shot down most of the names - this is what I’m left with:
[name]Sarina[/name]
[name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rozlynn[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name] (maybe)

Then he suggested [name]Ella[/name]. Which is a pretty name - and I do like it, but so, so, so popular!

What I love about [name]Alanna[/name] is that it is so soft and streamlined. It just feels so nice to say. I also note that it is the femininized version of [name]Alan[/name], though this is not at all obvious since the pronunciations are so different.

For me, a name that has a very similar feel to [name]Alanna[/name] is [name]Renee[/name]. Not sure if anyone already suggested [name]Renee[/name] to you or not.

What if you do something that INCLUDES [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] can be a nickname?

[name]Eleanor[/name]
Abriella
[name]Camella[/name]
[name]Elizabella[/name]
[name]Fiorella[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Mariella[/name]
[name]Mirella[/name]
[name]Noella[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name] - jk…too close to alanna
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Eletta[/name]
[name]Elia[/name]
[name]Ellison[/name]

Instead of [name]Glenna[/name], there is [name]Glenda[/name].
[name]Glenda[/name] feels a little more robust to me. nn [name]Glen[/name].

I love [name]Sarina[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Serena[/name] even more than [name]Sarina[/name].

Oh, I forgot about [name]Jacob[/name]! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think [name]Sarina[/name] flows best with [name]Alanna[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name], firstly because it has the feminine elegance of [name]Alanna[/name], and secondly because it, being a form of [name]Sarah[/name], has a Hebrew connection to [name]Jacob[/name].

Also, I know I may be the only one with this opinion, but I just think saying too many names that begin with vowels close together sounds weird. [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Alanna[/name], and [name]Angelica[/name]…[name]Jacob[/name], [name]Alanna[/name], and [name]Anastasia[/name]…[name]Jacob[/name], [name]Alanna[/name], and [name]Sarina[/name]! Yes!

[name]Sarina[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] would be pretty - if hubby doesn’t want to call her [name]Sari[/name], he could call her [name]Ella[/name]!
[name]Sarina[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name] is also quite pretty!
[name]Sarina[/name] [name]Rozlynn[/name] just doesn’t have great flow to me, and I don’t care for two names ending in -a (e.g., [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Angelica[/name]). JMO.

So hubby and I talked again about it last night (it almost feels like crunch time w/ only 6 1/2 wks left). We decided that we’re not going to let popularity deter us anymore. Hubby doesn’t care too much, as long as it’s not super popular. And I’ve been totally against names in the top 100. But last night I felt very, very sad that we couldn’t find a name that felt just as beautiful as [name]Alanna[/name]. I really like [name]Sarina[/name], but I still feel it doesn’t compare.
So after that, here is the new list. [name]Every[/name] single one I am happy with. Though I think one or two are more beautiful than the others. I think I’m done looking though. I’ll be completely happy if she is named one of these names.

[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Leighton[/name]
[name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rozlynn[/name]
[name]Sarina[/name]

[name]Angelica[/name] is definitely off, and [name]Anastasia[/name] is off unless we can find a good nn (which is doubtful).

*[name]EDIT[/name] - Oh and I promised my son (he’s almost 7) that I’d put his favorite name on here. He had me read the top 500 girls names to him yesterday! The only he liked was:
[name]Perla[/name]

That’s so sweet that your son wants to help out! I think you should be very happy with your name choices. They are gorgeous and each one has its own merit. You could always just wait to see what the little one looks like. She might just tell you her name all on her own :slight_smile: