Not even close to baby time but...

Hello everyone! I just joined the Nameberry forum because I love names, and I’m so glad to have found people who do as well! I’m not even CLOSE to having a baby (that will be years down the line), but I’ve had a baby name list for a while now. I’m a [name]Christian[/name], and as my faith is the crux of who I am, I love names that have meaning behind them that tie me more to it. It’s kind of sad though because I’m discovering that many of the names I’ve been holding onto for a long time now are becoming increasingly popular… by the time I have children, I think they may be too popular for me to use. :frowning: But anyway, just wanted to share my ever-changing list with the name aficionados here… and maybe even get some less “popular” names that’ll fit my style!

I’m also Korean, so I had always planned to have the middle name be my child’s Korean name (this is the case for my name). However, I love how some names flow with their middle names, and the Korean middle name kind of breaks that flow… so I am now currently debating whether I would make my child have an “English” middle name. They would still have a Korean name, but it would not be part of their legal name in this case. But I don’t know… heritage vs. name flow… we’ll see when the time comes. But I am happy to take any first-middle name suggestions!

Note: the following list reflects some compromises that have already been made due to my significant other… also, the last name starts with “S,” so names starting in “S” don’t work too well…

Boys:
[name]Micah[/name] (Hebrew: “who is like God?”)
[name]Asher[/name] (Hebrew: happy, blessed)
[name]Ezra[/name] (Hebrew: help)
[name]Levi[/name] (Hebrew: joined, attached)
[name]Josiah[/name] (Hebrew: God supports, heals)

Girls:
[name]Karis[/name] (Greek: grace)
[name]Zoe[/name]/[name]Zoey[/name]/[name]Zooey[/name] (Greek: from the name “[name]Eve[/name]” - life)
[name]Vera[/name] (Latin: faith)
[name]Eden[/name] (Hebrew: place of pleasure)
[name]Aris[/name] (Greek: harvest)
[name]Mirabel[/name] (Latin: wonderful)

There are many of us not close to having a baby yet, myself included…

I like many of your names. [name]Levi[/name] is a favorite, and so is [name]Vera[/name]. The only name I don’t like is [name]Zoe[/name] (it just kind of lost it’s touch on me). All in all, it’s a great list. I’d be curious to hear the Korean names, many I have heard are beautiful.

Korean names will come far in the future. Usually grandparents figure out a list of possible ones we can choose from. The process is a little different because the grandparents, usually based on some family list (not sure what this list is consisted of exactly or how it works), figures out the Chinese character that should be incorporated into the name. Based on that, you try to find a second character to create a 2-syllable (2-Chinese-character) name. (Each Chinese character has a certain Korean pronunciation. Often, multiple Chinese characters have the same pronunciation in Korean, so 16 people could have the same-sounding name such as “Hyo-Joon” without any of the names having the exact same meaning.) In recent years, there has been a departure from this system, so many people just pick names NOT based on Korean characters, but I like this method. Chinese characters hold so much meaning, which I think is great.

[name]Lovely[/name] list!!

I’m due my first child next [name]March[/name] and don’t know the sex yet but I’m considering two names of your list:

[name]Karis[/name] (Greek: grace)
[name]Zoe[/name]/[name]Zoey[/name]/[name]Zooey[/name] (Greek: from the name “[name]Eve[/name]” - life)

FutureFather really wanted the name [name]Braylon[/name]/[name]Braylen[/name]/however it’s spelled… not particularly a fan. But he likes [name]Micah[/name], warmed up to [name]Asher[/name] (and likes it now), and is willing to let go of [name]Braylon[/name]. Heee. I know it may be years before the first baby comes, but I feel like I’ve pre-won some battles here.