Not falling in love

So I’ve been searching for the right name for months and months and can’t seem to find the winner. At this point, H is ready to just name her Spawn and I’m about to pull my hair out. :lol: I’m wiping the list clean and starting over.

We like:

• Familiar, comfortable, but not common
  • Totally wearable and quirky at the same time
  • Fitting for a wallflower, a tomboy, a cheerleader, an extrovert… no stigma, maybe a name with no expectations, if that makes sense?
  • Vintage, charming, and warm, no/few frills
  • At home in VERY small-town New [name]England[/name] and [name]London[/name]. We live in a town where everyone knows each other and I’m one of five (!) pregnant women on my block… They’ve picked names like [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], Annabeth. I don’t think those names are quite what I’m going for.

Pretty specific, I know, but I thought I’d give any info I could! Super excited to hear suggestions. Thanks :slight_smile:

We are choosing [name]Nina[/name] if we have a girl. [name]Do[/name] you like that?

What are some of the names you have nixed?

Surnames? Does she have any siblings?

The first thing that came to mind was [name]Ramona[/name].

Others:

[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]

These are the first to come to mind:

[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]

The first name that came to mind was [name]Eliza[/name]. I like flick’s suggestions as well.

[name]How[/name] are…

[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Amanda[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Maelle[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name] (a diminutive)
[name]Mallory[/name]
[name]Maren[/name]
[name]Marisol[/name]
[name]Melody[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name] (for [name]Philippa[/name]?)
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]

Does that help? I hope so!

The first name that came to mind when reading your post was [name]Nina[/name]. It is feminine, but not flowery, womanly, mature, and a name that will fit just about any personality type imo. [name]Laura[/name] might be nice too.

the first name that came to mind was my daughters name [name]Violet[/name]. idk if its too common for u or not but i think it fits ur description…some others:

[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] I can help!
(includes others I like from above)
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Erin[/name]
[name]Faith[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Marian[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Ruthie[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

We were looking for a name with similar criteria to you. we ended up choosing [name]Wren[/name], which was a bit left of our original criteria as we worried if it was too unwearable, but we don’t think so and we love it. We’d decided that we wanted a nice simple name that wasn’t overly popular. Here are some of our other name considerations that I think match your naming criteria

[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Dana[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name]
[name]Wendy[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Hilary[/name]
[name]Tamara[/name]?

I like the other suggestions too, was hard not to repeat !!

We got really stuck with our names too, but we managed to get unstuck thanks to help from many people on nameberry forums :smiley: I’m sure you’ll find something soon, good luck.

Grey56: We’ve nixed any [name]Anna[/name] variations (DH ADORES [name]Anna[/name], but there’s already a definite Annabeth and it doesn’t have that certain something I’m looking for). The rest I’m just frustrated with but remain possibilities.

Surname is [name]Riley[/name] and no siblings. I like [name]Nina[/name] - she was on the list before. I’m going to have to take a closer look at her, I think!

[name]Flick[/name]: Not a [name]Ramona[/name] fan because it’s so [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Quimby[/name] to me, but I like [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Bridget[/name]. We know a baby [name]Lily[/name], though. Hm. I like nn [name]Edie[/name] but not [name]Edith[/name] - it’s still very old lady to me! DH refuses to hop on board with [name]Phoebe[/name] so she’s out, but I really love her.

Kyemsma: Like [name]Clara[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], and [name]Paige[/name]! [name]Cora[/name] is sticking out at me right now for some reason.

[name]Nicole[/name]: My first impression is liking [name]Alice[/name], [name]Audrey[/name] (DH loves it), [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]India[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]! Total guilty pleasure. MN slot maybe?), [name]Iris[/name], [name]Lyra[/name], [name]Ottilie[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], and [name]Zara[/name]. Great list! Part of me really likes how subtly romantic a lot of these names are - they’re not so overt as, say, [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]. So classy.

[name]Nani[/name]: I like pretty much all the names on your list! [name]Violet[/name] is super cute, but reminds DH too much of violent. We really like [name]Penelope[/name], but it wasn’t received well when we mentioned it to our mothers. [name]Calliope[/name] might be an interesting mn option.

Garnetgirl: New additions [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Tess[/name], and [name]Vera[/name] stood out! I like [name]Miriam[/name], too, but DH won’t have it. :frowning:

[name]Maxie[/name]: My first thought was I really, really like [name]Fern[/name], which surprises me, haha! [name]Faye[/name] and [name]Sonia[/name] are also very pretty.

Thank you all so much! Your ideas have been pretty rejuvenating. Naming is seeming less like work now, ha.

Are you familiar with the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] tool? You type in names you like, and it offers suggestions based on that. You can limit things like popularity, name length, etc.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-names-expert-upgrade-video-1

You do have to pay for this though - $12 US for 3 months. But it could be worth it?! The link above is a video of the service in use, so you can see exactly what you’d be getting. (By the way, I’m not affiliated with them in any way - just know how you feel and thought this was incredibly helpful!) I typed in [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Adelyn[/name] and [name]Dianne[/name], and only wanted names that were less popular. One of the names that came up was [name]Sheridan[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name] that name! And because of a suggestion on here, if we do go with that name, her nickname will be [name]Sadie[/name].

These names are all over the board, but I love all of them and hope they spark some inspiration for you:
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Ayelet[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Arete[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Pilar[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Amoret[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Isobel[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Marta[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Valerie[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Austen[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Beverly[/name]
[name]Winona[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Hannelore[/name]
[name]Fairuza[/name]
[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Eudora[/name]

have you checked out the nameberry blog? theres lots of cool lists on it - makes a nice change from reading through long boring alphabetical lists online :slight_smile:

I thought this post might have something you like, sure there’d be heaps more though too!

The first name that came to mind after reading your description was [name]Blaire[/name]. Some people prefer the spelling “[name]Blair[/name]”, which I also enjoy. This is simply my suggestion based on your description. [name]Blaire[/name], to me, gives the child a clean palette, so to speak. She could go any which way!