NOT going for a cosmetics theme!!!

Ok, It’s not quite last minute, but I’m only 31 weeks and my OB already has me coming in once a week and is talking about pulling me out of work because of contractions, so the name panic is truly setting in. My husband and I are on different planets when it comes to names. We honored his grandmother with our toddler and are hoping to honor my Grammy with this one. She was [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. We were down to [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Elinor[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], when someone on here pointed out to me that [name_u]Arden[/name_u] (my toddler’s real name) and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would sound like the cosmetics version of Dolce and Gabanna. It had never crossed my mind!!! I don’t love the meaning of [name_f]Edith[/name_f] itself, can’t use an [name_f]El[/name_f]- nickname (family) and with [name_u]Kim[/name_u] and [name_m]Kanye[/name_m] using [name_u]Nori[/name_u], [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] is out. And I have fallen in love with the Swedish [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. So I was pretty sure we were going with [name_f]Estelle[/name_f].

My toddler goes by [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], so I was looking for a nickname that would work and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] nn [name_f]Essie[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] was the plan. But [name_f]Essie[/name_f] just doesn’t roll of the tongue for me and I keep calling the baby [name_f]Este[/name_f].

Am I back to the cosmetics problem - [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Este[/name_f]?!?!?!?! I know that [name_f]Este[/name_f] Lauder is actually an [name_f]Esther[/name_f], but really? Is that the first thing that people will think? [name_m]Will[/name_m] I be an example on one of those ridiculous sibsets threads??? :slight_smile:

I think [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Este[/name_f] sound really cute together!

You could do [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] called [name_f]Nora[/name_f] instead of [name_u]Nori[/name_u]. Or maybe [name_u]Eden[/name_u] instead of [name_f]Edith[/name_f]? [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_f]Edie[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are good nicknames. It sounds like you use nicknames a lot, what would [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]'s nickname be? I’m not sure it would be very obvious if you have and [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] and [name_f]Libby[/name_f] (or whatever it is), especially with other siblings showing that it’s not a cosmetics theme. I would personally much rather be named [name_f]Elinor[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] than [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Edith[/name_f].

I quite like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f].

If i met an [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Este[/name_f], i wouldn’t make the cosmetic connection, unlike [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_u]Arden[/name_u] which is quite full on! But is it likely that they would often be [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Este[/name_f], or would they more likely be [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] and [name_f]Este[/name_f] or [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]? If one is a nn and one is a full name, then i think you’re fine.

Actually, we don’t use a lot of nicknames. I mean, they all have pet names, but the older 6 all go by their full names, [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_f]Savanna[/name_f], [name_m]Austin[/name_m], Avonlea, [name_u]Haley[/name_u] and [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u]. [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is the only one who will be close in age to this new one and she has her nickname because, while I think [name_u]Arden[/name_u] is lovely, it was a last minute pick in the delivery room and doesn’t suit her (yet - maybe it will) and people were calling her Ardie, despite correction. She was our “little bird”, so it went to [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] and the [name_f]Mae[/name_f] (her mn) got tagged on to make it more name-ish than pet name-ish. Most people see immediately that she is a [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], but some people think we are nuts :slight_smile:

I think it would be [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] and [name_f]Este[/name_f] or [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. So maybe that helps. Good point. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_u]Arden[/name_u] are too close. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] has bad associations for me and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would have been [name_f]Zibby[/name_f], but I think we would still have [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] and [name_f]Zibby[/name_f]…

The other name we are considering is [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - [name_f]Dot[/name_f] or [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Bea[/name_f]…? Thoughts? I don’t see ANY links to cosmetics there, but also doesn’t honor [name_f]Edith[/name_f] at all…

Go for [name_u]Arden[/name_u] & [name_f]Este[/name_f]. Sounds great!

I don’t think it’s a big deal because you have other children with names unrelated to cosmetics. If your other kids were Loreal, [name_f]Sephora[/name_f], and Maybelline, you would have a problem. But you’re good. :slight_smile: by the way I adore your other kids names too, in particular [name_f]Savanna[/name_f] (I prefer it w/o the h as well, but I’ve gotten some flack for it) and Avonlea (beautiful!).

Have you considered [name_f]Elise[/name_f]/[name_f]Elyse[/name_f]?
I know an Elyse nickname Leesie.

I wouldn’t of ever made the connection. I’m not hugely into cosmetics or who makes them. I think most of the world really wouldn’t notice or care if they did notice. I think [name_f]Este[/name_f] is adorable. You should go with what feels right for her name not based around a theme.

[name_f]Este[/name_f]'s gorgeous, it’s fine with [name_u]Arden[/name_u]!

I don’t think I would make the connection between [name_f]Este[/name_f] and [name_u]Arden[/name_u]. Interestingly, [name_f]Estee[/name_f] Lauder was born [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f] Mentzer (according to Wikipedia).

[name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t go with Clinique! I knew a girl by that name, and it while it worked for her it would definitely skew your sibset toward a cosmetics theme.