Not looking for a debate...just curious about India

See the results of this poll: Do you find the name India offensive?

Respondents: 75 (This poll is closed)

• Definitely offensive : 12 (16%)
  • Definitely not offensive : 31 (41%)
  • Unsure, seems slightly offensive : 8 (11%)
  • Unsure, doesn’t seem very offensive : 24 (32%)
  • Undecided: 0 (0%)

So does this mean you want to know if I like it or not, but you prefer not to know why I feel that way about it? Maybe set up a poll?

Personally, I dislike it.

Is the poll not showing up? I can see it, and it shows that a few others have voted. I’m not sure if its a site problem, since i can see it… It should be there, sorry about that.

Since I know it is offensive, I can’t not know it. Does it offend me personally?..No. As a name alone, I do not see the appeal at all. I think it is tacky like most location names.

I agree with the previous poster. It doesn’t offend me, but I definitely don’t see the appeal. I also don’t like location names, and the name [name_f]India[/name_f] does seem like it’s trying too hard.

I don’t find it offensive. Personally I prefer other Ind- names though. My favorite being [name_f]Indira[/name_f].

I agree with [name_f]Pacifica[/name_f]. I’m not offended by it, but I don’t get the appeal at all. But even if I did like it (and presumably the country was significant to me in some way), I still wouldn’t use it knowing it may be offensive to some people. There’s a difference between people just not liking a name and it being offensive. You don’t want to saddle your kid with something offensive. I would definitely choose the name [name_f]Indira[/name_f] over [name_f]India[/name_f]. It’s much lovelier, has a nice meaning, and it’s an actual [name_f]Indian[/name_f] name rather than naming your child after a place.

It’s not my sort of name and I would never use it. However… to me this name is not offensive at all. And I doubt people in [name_f]India[/name_f] care if someone here names their daughter [name_f]India[/name_f].

Have no idea why it’s offensive… off to look that up :slight_smile:
FWIW, I prefer [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I’m not offended by it on a personal level but I do think it’s poor taste.
Given that so many people mention indie/indy as a nickname, I think [name_f]Indira[/name_f] or [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] would be wise alternatives.

I don’t find it offensive at all, don’t find it ‘tacky’ even though it’s a place name (although I don’t see it as a place name as such…like with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], it has other associations to me. Sorry, that was badly explained!) but it’s not really to my taste. Before I started Nameberry-ing, I had no idea it was even offensive to some people. I think it might be more of an American association, perhaps? (I’m English, if that helps) Good luck!

Personally, I don’t think [name_f]India[/name_f] is offensive at all and don’t really understand why some people think it is. I think it’s a lovely name, but, unfortunately, both [name_f]India[/name_f] and [name_f]Indie[/name_f] have become a bit trendy in Australia in recent years. However, I think it’s a beautiful name.

It’s not my style, but I think it’s quite lovely. Warm and sweet.