Not sure about anything anymore! Sick of our top choice!

So right now our top choice is [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and it’s been our top choice for a long time… But the E names are so popular, I’m getting kind of sick of [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] already!

I’m totally freaking out! It feels like I’ve looked at ALL the names in the Internet and we can’t agree on anything else! My husband likes weirder names (e.g.: [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_u]River[/name_u], older Greek names) while I like something unique but easily recognizable (I have to spell my name, [name_f]Ariane[/name_f], all the time. It gets old).

The first name has to sound kind of [name_m]French[/name_m], as I have family who don’t speak English. Our first daughter is [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f].

Other names we like (enough for middle name, but not enough for first name - they’re a little too crazy for me!):
[name_f]Arcadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_f]Meave[/name_f]
[name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f] is so beautiful!

Suggestions for a sister:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]/[name_f]Myriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]/[name_f]Leonore[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] for you, as it’d old, odd, and classical like your husband prefers, but it’s definitely familiar to the general population.

[name_f]Perrine[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] would be lovely. [name_f]Perrine[/name_f] means ‘traveler’.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is pretty popular too right now, though I do think its darling with [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f].
[name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] is pretty (its one of my husbands top picks), and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] is really beautiful. [name_f]Nyx[/name_f] is super cool but in my opinion doesn’t go very well with [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f].
Also, I don’t think [name_f]Summer[/name_f] or [name_u]River[/name_u] are weird names, but they are definitely nature names.
I can only think of one suggestion for you right now, ant it would be [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]/[name_f]Celestia[/name_f]. I love so many things about this name - It’s so elegant and pretty. It sounds vaguely french, although its origins are Latin. It makes me think of stars and heavens, and its angellic without being too much of a match for [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]. Your husband might like it if he likes nature names, and it is definitely recognizable without being popular. Easy to spell too which is a plus! I also love the connection to the children’s series Babar (so adorable).

I second the idea of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. It sounds good with [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]. Everyone has heard it. Easy to say and pronounce. However, it does not work with [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] as a middle.

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] (My fav middle for you)
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]

Some other [name_m]French[/name_m]-first-name combos to consider (feel free to mix and match to your liking!)
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

I do like [name_f]Coralie[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]! I just ran them by my husband, he shot them down. Of course, mumble mumble

I like the sound of [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], but not crazy about [name_u]Jules[/name_u]/[name_u]Julie[/name_u]/[name_f]Julia[/name_f] in general, which is probably why we ended up with [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f].

Suggestions for sister to [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Fay[/name_f]

Avara [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] (meaning the youngest)
[name_f]Clementina[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] (meaning merciful)
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Michaela[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (I like [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] but only spelt like this but some may find it a little dated.)
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f]

rollo

nameberry says this means “rock, stone”

[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f] and…
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] (perhaps this feels ‘fresher’?)
[name_f]Angelique[/name_f] [name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_u]Dominique[/name_u] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] (love this!)
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_f]Antoinette[/name_f] [name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] (love this with [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f])
[name_f]Aimee[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] ([name_f]Aimee[/name_f] means ‘beloved’)
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] (very similar ‘feel’ to [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f] [name_f]IMO[/name_f] - I think they’re gorgeous together!)
[name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] [name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

Ahh! Sorry I posted so many. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find some inspiration here!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Marcheline[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] or [name_f]Sabine[/name_f]?

I like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but it’s too popular.

I like [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] because it sounds feminine but with the strong “G” sound it still has some spunk to it. A lot of the other [name_m]French[/name_m] names, like [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] for example, sound too calm for me :slight_smile:

Can’t say I’m in love with names ending in -ine (too feminine) or -ie (too nicknamy)… I was talking with my husband last night and we sort of like [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. I also really like [name_f]Thea[/name_f], but he doesn’t. It doesn’t have to end in -a, but I think I like something that sounds good in [name_m]French[/name_m] (unlike [name_u]River[/name_u]/[name_u]Winter[/name_u]/[name_u]November[/name_u] which my husband loves) without being SO [name_m]French[/name_m] per se, if that makes sense!

[name_f]Cora[/name_f]?

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f]

all 3 sound lovely with [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] or [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] in the middle.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is beautiful. Classic and pretty but not too popular nor too obscure.

I would recommend maybe a break from thinking about names…and then come back to it refreshed.
The same thing happened to me. When I was pregnant and thinking about names I would get bored of them. We ended up using the boy name we originally had come up with .
good luck.

I too think you can get the name blahs from thinking and over thinking names. We had [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] ( a family name) on our top three to add to her name- I couldn’t get over the “wheeze” sound and nixed it. Now that we paired it down to [name_f]Ella[/name_f], I’m pining for [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a great name. I ended up dropping the names I was hooked on because I overthought everything. I loved the name [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] for 10 years and then I didn’t use it because it was #1. Well now every time I meet a new [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] or [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] I think “Well, if YOU could use the name I loved … why couldn’t I??” Then I loved [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] but also decided they were “too trendy”

Well, I went with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] which is a great name. It’s trendy in the world, but in the US it’s at least one notch less trendy than [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Violet[/name_f].

But I wish I had stopped looking at the top list and just went with the name I loved. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] doesn’t have any direct friends or playmates named [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], and even if she did, big deal. They would have bonded over their shared name.

Go with the name you love. Take it from someone who regrets not doing that.

I think the problem is that while we both really like it, it’s honestly the ONLY name we could agree on so far. We really didn’t have much of a choice. We just said “[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a good backup, but let’s try to find something better” and nothing ever came up. I’m not sure I’m in love with it.

Part of what’s bugging me is the nicknames. I want to use a nickname, but I’m not crazy about the nn possibilities for [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. [name_f]Elle[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] are way too popular, Elo is weird, I don’t like [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], and I really hate Wheezy (which people seem to be bringing up a lot and I don’t really get it!). So far I’ve been favoring [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] as a nn, but it keeps making me think of Etsy!

It’s entirely possible I’m over-thinking it :slight_smile:

Have you considered [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]? I think it is a better fit with [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f].

Ok [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is not too popular but maybe it’s not right for you.
Here are some suggestions:
[name_f]Brigitte[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudette[/name_f]/[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]* ( I really like this one for you. It’s [name_m]French[/name_m], it has a strong first syllable, and it’s familiar here in the states)
Of course [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is lovely if you decide to go for it.
Good luck!

I think [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] sounds better, but you said Frenchified so my suggestions are:

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
Antoinetta
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Celine[/name_f]
[name_f]Chantilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Dulcet[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Fabienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Helene[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Julietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mallory[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Odile[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_u]Page[/name_u]
[name_f]Raine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Solstice[/name_f]
[name_u]Tali[/name_u]
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Veronique[/name_f]
[name_f]Violette[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvette[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvonne[/name_f]

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

Our last name is super creepy, think along of the lines of Grave or [name_m]Mort[/name_m]. So while I don’t mind [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] as a middle name, it’s kind of ridiculously goth as a first name! Unfortunately…