Obscurity Corner: Renesmee šŸŒ•

The series continues!

Todayā€™s deep dive focuses on a literary name whichā€”though not on my own listā€”has appeared on the lists of far more American parents than Iā€™d have guessed! The name? Why, [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f], of course. The name [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] (reh-NEZ-may) is credited as an invention of author [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] [name_u]Meyer[/name_u] for her [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] saga and is borne by the half-vampire child of the sagaā€™s heroine and vampire lead, [name_f]Bella[/name_f] [name_u]Swan[/name_u] and [name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_m]Cullen[/name_m]. The name is a hybrid of [name_f]Renee[/name_f] and [name_u]Esme[/name_u], the names of the childā€™s two grandmothers.

Here are my findings:
[name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] has been used as a name for a total of 14 years. The earliest documented birth of a baby named [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] was in the year 2009, when 18 baby girls and 0 baby boys were given the name. According to the SSA, 1,465 baby girls (ages newborn to 14) in the US have been named [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f]! Additionally, girls have been named [name_f]Renesme[/name_f] (184, since ā€˜09), [name_f]Renesmae[/name_f] (367, since ā€˜12), and Renesmay (104, since ā€˜13). That makes 2,120 little girls named reh-NEZ-may, spelt any of 4 ways.
Hereā€™s the [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] (spelling used in Twilight) breakdown:
[2009] 18
[2010] 47
[2011] 33
[2012] 60
[2013] 135
[2014] 135
[2015] 129
[2016] 154
[2017] 129
[2018] 148
[2019] 143
[2020] 155
[2021] 162
[2022] 165

And here are my personal observations:
The [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] book from which the name [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] originates (Breaking Dawn) was published in [name_u]August[/name_u] of 2008, which opened the door in 2009 for babies to join the littlest [name_m]Cullen[/name_m] in sharing her obscure, new name. The first half of the novel was turned into a film, which released in [name_u]October[/name_u] of 2011. [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] is not born until the second half of this final installmentā€”and, thus, subsequent ā€œPart 2ā€ filmā€”but her name is mentioned in the 2011 ā€œPart 1ā€ film. Though, this mention didnā€™t seem to do much for her name in the charts that year nor the next. The second half of the novel was released as a film in [name_u]November[/name_u] of 2012, and boom. Up went [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] in the 2013 name charts!
As well, the alternate spellings [name_f]Renesmae[/name_f] and Renesmay were only used starting in 2012 and 2013, respectively, after the release of the final [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] films.

What I find most curious is that, contrary to what Iā€™d have thought, [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] shows no apparent signs of slowing down. In fact, her best year as a name in terms of popularity was only last year, 2022, long after the rush of [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] hype. Fun Fact: in 2022, more baby girls were named [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] than were named [name_f]Wanda[/name_f] (22), [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] (53), and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] (84) combined.

Whew. What a name!

19 Likes

I love this :heart: thank you so much for crunching those numbers, these are always so fun and insightful!

Iā€™ve always thought how [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] came to be as a name was rather creative, but in a very realistic way? The fact that it was her grandmothers names combined (and her middle was her grandfathers combined) is actually something that is quite common where Iā€™m from. Itā€™s also a name that has a rather unique sound and feel to it while also not seeming ā€œmade-upā€. Iā€™m honestly surprised it hasnā€™t become more popular than it is, given how large and impactful [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] was culturally.

Now that you say this, me too! I meanā€¦ Daenerys remains in the top 1,000 today, long after the initial impact the Thrones books and original TV show had on the zeitgeist.

Absolutely! One of the most creative ways to get to a name Iā€™ve ever encountered. If my grandmothersā€™ names went together wellā€¦ Iā€™d have liked to wear them in this fashion. I wonder how many people followed this formula after the Twilight loveā€¦ I wish there was a way to know! Are there any mash-ups youā€™ve heard where youā€™re from that you remember?

Thank you for reading, commenting, and enjoying. I love love love hearing reactions to these wild names! šŸ«¶šŸ¼

1 Like

Interesting thread!

I just came in to essentially say that I supported a young mum who was a bit twilight obsessed and she had two daughters one named Is@bell@ and the other R3n3sm33.

I actually think itā€™s s pretty name :white_heart:

Thatā€™s very interesting! I honestly thought the name Renesemee was dying down at this time. While I think itā€™s a pretty name (albeit I prefer [name_f]Renesmae[/name_f] bc itā€™s one less e and looks less clunky).

While I wouldnā€™t name my own daughter this (bc Iā€™m from the same state as Myersā€™ lives(?) in) and for me itā€™s too heavily tied to [name_u]Twilight[/name_u], which I was (and still am) personally never a big fan of it, I think itā€™s still a lovely name, and I love smashed names together usually.

I think Iā€™d be more into this name if it didnā€™t come from [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] :see_no_evil: I like plenty of other ā€˜smooshā€™ names like Meridiana, [name_f]Stellamaris[/name_f], and our newly hatched nb favourite Ethelrose so I canā€™t be too mean about [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m on the older end of the [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] generation and remember everyone obsessively reading it in the late noughts. I guess the reason for Renesmeeā€™s enduring popularity is that that particular age group is currently at prime baby age. There must be mothers in their late 20s/early 30s now who were preteens when the books and films were really big, and theyā€™ve been saving up [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] as their favourite name ever since.

3 Likes

I actually know several, but most are along the lines of Ellen + Melody = Elodie or Charla + Violet = Charlotte or Annie + Clara = Anna Claire, so nothing spectacularly unique in the way of Renesmee, but itā€™s enough I could see Renesmee or something like it happening organically irl

RenĆ©smĆ©e has a great meaning if you can go behind the name, it means ā€œlove is rebornā€.

I think it looks better with the correct accent marks, and not so smooshed up.

My guess is that this has to do with how media aimed at women and especially teenage girls is perceived - Daenerys is cool because it comes from ā€œā€seriousā€ā€ fantasy that men, the arbiters of good taste, like (Iā€™m sure you can hear me rolling my eyes no matter where in the world you areā€¦) while Renesmee is from a story that ā€œā€cringyā€ā€ and ā€œā€hormonalā€ā€ teenage girls like, and hence itā€™s not cool. I never got into Twilight (I was a moody Victorian literature and weeaboo kind of teenage girl instead :see_no_evil:) but Iā€™m kinda here for some millennial mums going for it. :raised_hands: Itā€™s pretty countercultural and punk rock of them to own their love for something as berated as Twilight.

5 Likes

Renee and Esme are two great names, and I wonder if the author chose them with their smooshability already in mind - wouldnā€™t have worked half as well with grandmas named Jane & Sue. Renesmee isnā€™t my favourite, but itā€™s not bad either.

imo that shows it is leaving its origin in pop culture behind - instead of existing only as a reference, it has entered the canon of names. Prospective parents donā€™t question where it came from any more than they question where Emma or Alice came from. I also think something similar happened with Nevaeh.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved portmanteau/combo names, especially when they have family history behind them. In the context of the book series (as a former obsessed [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] fan), in interviews the author stated that she needed to choose a one-of-a-kind name since the character was a unique creature (and it would have been strange if she had been named something like Jessica).

As others have said, [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] is not necessarily any stranger than other smoosh or double-barreled names, especially where I am in the southeast US.

2 Likes

Bonus points to Renesmees who get nicknamed [name_f]Nessie[/name_f]! :joy: I recently read the books and really enjoyed the funny nickname and how the full name was just ā€œtoo longā€

Youā€™re so right.

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend named her daughter [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f]! I had total name envy over her and her sister [name_f]Eliora[/name_f]. It fits them very well. This is probably why [name_u]EsmƩ[/name_u] is on my list!