Odd question

So I am writing a novel based in ancient [name_u]Rome[/name_u], and the mc’s name is [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]. The problem is, the other 2 main characters are named [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] and Quintus…

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think thats too many “us” names? Yes it is in [name_u]Rome[/name_u], but still.

Would it be weird to rename [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] / would that give the same effect?

[name_u]Or[/name_u] if anyone knows roman boy names that dont end in us that would be great :smiling_face_with_tear:

I think given the context I would stick with the -us endings. I don’t think it will be a problem for the reader. It’s what most people would expect in a novel set in ancient [name_u]Rome[/name_u].

3 Likes

Definitely not too much! In fact, I think [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] would feel more out of place than a third -us name. “When in [name_u]Rome[/name_u], do as the Romans do”, as they say!

4 Likes

Nope! As someone who took Latin for probably 8 years, that’s just how Ancient [name_u]Rome[/name_u] was :woman_shrugging: I think they’re different enough, but if you’re worried, you could try to vary the syllables of the main characters’ names?

3 Likes

Fun fact, in Latin all boys names ended in -us so stick with it!

1 Like