Odelia or Tigerlily?

I’m torn between [name]Odelia[/name] and Tigerlily for our girl who will be born in 3 months. Anybody have opinions on these names, or see pros/cons to them? What about middle names? She will be joining brother [name]Caspian[/name] [name]Purcell[/name], and our last name is one syllable. Tigerlily has a number of good nicknames: [name]Tilly[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Ti[/name], etc. but I haven’t been able to come up with a good NN for [name]Odelia[/name]…

Definitely [name]Odelia[/name]! It’s such a beautiful name! : )

[name]Odelia[/name] is gorgeous. I don’t know if you’d like this, but I like [name]Dilly[/name] as a nickname for it. I personally feel like Tigerlily is a joke name, though I know many people on nameberry like it.

Tigerlily?!? Seriously? Sorry, but I can’t imagine this on a human. Or even a pet, for that matter. I’d personally hate to have to introduce myself as Tigerlily and then explain that no, it’s not a nickname, and yes, it’s for real. Plus it’s even more ridiculous with a brother with the sophisticated [name]Caspian[/name] (which I like a lot, btw). Strictly a guilty pleasure!

Obviously, I prefer [name]Odelia[/name]. :slight_smile: This actually used to be one of my favorite names. I’d love to meet a little [name]Odelia[/name]-- I think it’s lovely and underused. And [name]Delia[/name] would make a very nice nickname. [name]Caspian[/name] and [name]Odelia[/name]-- great sibset!

Honestly? Tigerlily seems kind of mean. I know that in theory it looks sweet and gentle but most people would see it as a joke and potential for teasing. I would almost just go with [name]Tilly[/name].
[name]Odelia[/name] isn’t my style but much more realistic. Nicknames could be [name]Odie[/name], [name]Delly[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Ella[/name]
But of course this is ultimate your choice so if you love Tigerlily over [name]Odelia[/name] you will go with it.

I love [name]Dilly[/name] as a nn for [name]Odelia[/name]. Maybe I could bump Tigerlily to the middle name spot. Although then I’d have two four-syllable names together.

I don’t see teasing potential for Tigerlily, and it was going to be a FDD name for one of my girls, but I did change it to something a bit more substantial as a name.

I think [name]Odelia[/name] Tigerlily Lastname would be gorgeous!

1 Like

[name]Odelia[/name] Tigerlily would be very interesting and sounds nice. But Tigerlily as a first name… sorry, but I picture a stripper/dominatrix type. It’s the tiger part that’s the problem… would you name a daughter [name]Tiger[/name]?? Sounds like a troublemaking boy’s name to me. Lilyrose is a pretty double name though. [name]Odelia[/name] Lilyrose would be really nice, because the happy sweetness of Lilyrose would counteract the serious, old-fashioned, formal, slightly dramatic feel of [name]Odelia[/name] and balance out the name as a whole.

As a side note, it would be awesome if you nicknamed her “[name]Dilly[/name] [name]Lily[/name]!”

To me, Tigerlily sounds trashy and tasteless. It would fit nicely in a sibset with [name]Nevaeh[/name], but not with the smart and sophisticated [name]Caspian[/name].
[name]Odelia[/name] is very nice though, and [name]Caspian[/name] & [name]Odelia[/name] are gorgeous together!
The most natural nickname for [name]Odelia[/name], in my opinion, is [name]Dee[/name], or just [name]Delia[/name].

Good luck!

I far prefer [name]Odelia[/name]. Tigerlily seems a little unrealistic to stick on a child. What about [name]Dede[/name] as a nn for [name]Odelia[/name]?

You could name her [name]Tilly[/name] or [name]Lily[/name], and nickname her Tigerlily (which is one of my guilty pleasures).

Tigerlily… my first thought is of the character in [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name], and yes I was very envious of her name as a child, but I have to agree with most of the other posters – and vote for [name]Odelia[/name]! Would you name your daughter [name]Rainbow[/name], [name]Sunshine[/name] or [name]Butterfly[/name]? If the answer is no, then you really should not choose Tigerlily, either. =p

[name]Odelia[/name] is lovely but I do prefer [name]Ottilie[/name], [name]Ottoline[/name] and [name]Odette[/name]. =D

Are you saying [name]Nevaeh[/name] is trashy and tasteless? I happen to have a 3 yr old niece named [name]Nevaeh[/name] and she is such a sweet, smart girl who is full of so much love and kindness. At least, I don’t think she’d go around judging what your mother named you. I realize everyone has their own taste in names, but that comment was rude and unneeded. Talk about tasteless :confused:

to the OP Tigerlily sounds pretty in theory but it always reminds me of the [name]Indian[/name] princess from [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name], and unfortunately most people would take it as a nickname, likely. As lovely as it might be on a little girl it might not age well either. [name]Odelia[/name] is lovely and makes a great sibset with [name]Caspian[/name] and [name]Odelia[/name] Tigerlily is a great way to use both names that you like.

I also prefer [name]Odelia[/name]. Okay, I love [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name], but I truly dislike Tigerlily for a child’s name…