Odette instead of Colette?

Hello,

We are reading to our daughter a book about the most beautiful ballets. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband told me that he really likes [name_f]Odette[/name_f], instead of [name_f]Colette[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Odette[/name_f], but I could not use the nickname [name_u]Coco[/name_u] anymore, and I wonder if [name_f]Odette[/name_f] is usable or just too out-dated (it is out-dated in [name_f]France[/name_f]).

My husband would go with [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Odette[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] & [name_u]Billie[/name_u] or [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Odette[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] & Esmée, if we ever have 4 girls one day.

• Colette
  • Odette

0 voters

Thank you

Oooh, [name_f]Odette[/name_f] – I LOVE it! :heart_eyes:

It surprises me to hear that it’s considered more outdated than [name_f]Colette[/name_f] in [name_f]France[/name_f]. To be clear: I don’t think that either of those names sounds dated, but [name_f]Odette[/name_f] definitely feels funkier and fresher and younger to me. I think it’s beautiful, and the ballet connection is lovely.

Coco is a gorgeous nickname, so I can see why you’re drawn to [name_f]Colette[/name_f] for that reason, but I think [name_f]Etta[/name_f] or [name_m]Otto[/name_m] have a similar sweet and funky vibe. Also, I feel like [name_u]Coco[/name_u] is one of those fun, adorable nicknames that can be used as a pet name for any formal name. So I don’t think it’s necessarily lost even if you did go with [name_f]Odette[/name_f].

Liv and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are just :heart: together. They have the same sparky, lively quality. Beautiful!

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Odette[/name_f] as its refreshing and not overused. [name_f]My[/name_f] little cousin is [name_f]Colette[/name_f] and while I think its pretty, [name_f]Odette[/name_f] seems much more of a classic beauty. It seems revival ready to me in terms of vintage names. I dont think of [name_u]Coco[/name_u] as a natural nickname for [name_f]Colette[/name_f] anyway if it matters. It seems like the nicknames would be [name_m]Colie[/name_m], [name_f]Letty[/name_f] or we call my little cousin Coletti even though her mom doesn’t like it! [name_f]Odette[/name_f] doesn’t really have as many nickname options but the nicknames for [name_f]Colette[/name_f] seem really little girl like she would outgrow them anyway!

[name_f]Odette[/name_f] is gorgeous! I personally prefer it to [name_f]Colette[/name_f] (though [name_f]Colette[/name_f] is lovely, too).
I agree with @katinka:

[name_f]Colette[/name_f] feels like such a staple [name_u]French[/name_u] name, but [name_f]Odette[/name_f] is so fresh and unexpected to me.

And I also agree that you could still use [name_u]Coco[/name_u] as a pet name. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Odette[/name_f]! I knew a little [name_f]Odette[/name_f] who was called ‘Dettie’ or ‘[name_f]Missy[/name_f] D’ :slight_smile:

I really love [name_f]Odette[/name_f]! I’m surprised to hear that it’s considered more dated in [name_f]France[/name_f] than [name_f]Colette[/name_f] (which was my great-aunt’s name, and I’ve only ever encountered older Colettes). I honestly don’t think you could go wrong with either, but [name_f]Odette[/name_f] has the slight edge to me.

I would rather be named [name_f]Colette[/name_f] than [name_f]Odette[/name_f] because [name_f]Colette[/name_f] sounds prettier to me.

In the US, [name_f]Odette[/name_f] is not unusable, just not frequently used.

I’m unsure what is wrong with [name_u]Coco[/name_u] as in [name_f]Chanel[/name_f]? It starts with the first two letter of Covid, but so do [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], and [name_m]Corcoran[/name_m] and I would use any of those.

I really like [name_f]Odette[/name_f] but [name_f]Colette[/name_f] is wonderful and the nn [name_u]Coco[/name_u] is the sweetest

I prefer [name_f]Colette[/name_f] myself, but [name_f]Odette[/name_f] is a pretty name and I really like it too. It’s not a dated name where I live. [name_f]Odette[/name_f] Hallowes is a cool historical namesake.

While I personally prefer [name_f]Colette[/name_f], I think [name_f]Odette[/name_f] would be a lovely choice for you!

I really love [name_f]Colette[/name_f]. I just love the sound of it, and I love the nickname [name_f]Etta[/name_f]. However, for [name_f]Odette[/name_f], the nickname [name_m]Odie[/name_m] would be soooo sweet for a little girl. I’m torn because [name_f]Colette[/name_f] is one of my favorites, but they’re both beautiful. I think it’s usable, it’s just a matter of nicknames. I like [name_m]Odie[/name_m] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f], but if you feel more drawn to [name_u]Coco[/name_u], I would go with [name_f]Colette[/name_f].

I like both - but slightly prefer [name_f]Odette[/name_f]!

Oh good! I thought Covid had ruined another name.