Offbeat names for my son, or am I crazy??

I have just realised that you borrowed [name]Peregrin[/name] from Tolkien.

If you use [name]Peregrin[/name] I think the nn would have to be [name]Perry[/name] which is a super nn.

[name]Peregrin[/name] [name]Murray[/name] nn [name]Perry[/name] This is a nice combo
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Homer[/name] [name]Clarence[/name] Isn’t [name]Dashiell[/name] all charm? [name]Lovely[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Murray[/name] Handsome
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Amos[/name] Flows so well
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Rolf[/name], [name]Rolf[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] I like the uniqueness of [name]Rolf[/name] and teamed with [name]Hugo[/name] is a great combo
[name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Reed[/name]
[name]Wilfred[/name] [name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Moses[/name]
[name]Soloman[/name] [name]Dante[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name] [name]Wolfgang[/name] [name]Moses[/name]
[name]Murray[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name]
[name]Neville[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]

Comments on your list

[name]Tennessee[/name] [name]Jones[/name] No
[name]Amos[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] Flows well
[name]Peregrin[/name] [name]Cecil[/name] nn [name]Perry[/name] and [name]Cecil[/name] because it has a sweeter sound than [name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] Flows well but [name]Sinclair[/name] is nicer
[name]Phillipe[/name] [name]Johannes[/name] nn [name]Pip[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Murray[/name] Nice

Great suggestions!

[name]Phillipe[/name] [name]Johannes[/name] nn [name]Pip[/name] (Why didn’t I think of that? [name]Pip[/name] is cute nn for [name]Phillipe[/name])
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Murray[/name] - Very handsome!!
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Moses[/name] - Very nice

I love [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Moses[/name]. So happy!

Names I am considering:

[name]Tennessee[/name] [name]Jones[/name] - way too [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name] for me
[name]Amos[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] - I like this option a lot. I will call it my third favorite (keep reading for my first and second)
[name]Peregrin[/name] ([name]Pippin[/name]) [name]Cedric[/name] - [name]Pippin[/name] reminds me of current trendy girl names such as [name]Pippa[/name] and [name]Piper[/name]. I love [name]Cedric[/name] though!
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] - I really like [name]Sinclair[/name]. I hear [name]Homer[/name], I think [name]Simpson[/name].
[name]Johannes[/name] ([name]Hans[/name]) [name]Phillipe[/name] - Cool!
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Murray[/name] - nice flow!
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Moses[/name] - I love both names individually, but maybe together its too much?
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Williams[/name] - My favorite! Two great names, nice flow between the two, very strong and solid.
[name]Vincent[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] - This one is my second favorite but only because I don’t like the nn [name]Vince[/name] which might be inevitable.
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] - something about the flow makes it a little difficult for me to say quickly. Maybe the “L” sounds so close together?

Other combos that I like:

[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name] [name]Murphy[/name]
[name]Moses[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Boone[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name]

Of your combinations, my favourite is [name]Murray[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (so debonair!), followed by [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Williams[/name], [name]Jacques[/name] [name]Olivier[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (love this [name]Oliver[/name] variation), and [name]Abraham[/name] [name]Martin[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (I don”t know the song you mentioned, so it doesn”t bother me!). I also like [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Murray[/name] [name]Williams[/name], but it doesn”t flow quite as well as my other favourites. The only one I would really avoid is [name]Abraham[/name] [name]Moses[/name] [name]Williams[/name] ” I think that”s just a bit too much of one thing.

Some other ideas (and I do apologise if I replicate ” I couldn”t keep track!):
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Murray[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Martin[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Clarence[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Olivier[/name] [name]Amos[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Olivier[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

Although I like a lot of your names, they are all quite long and unusual (except for [name]Oliver[/name]). I wonder if maybe having a more ”vanilla” middle name may strengthen and emphasise the qualities of some of your first choices? For example:

[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Michael[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Charles[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Isaac[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

I also think the mns [name]Boone[/name] or [name]Wolfe[/name] could warm up something a bit more mainstream if you played it the other way around, e.g. [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] [name]Williams[/name].

Such fun having unusual names to play with! :wink:

Of your names my favorite combos are -

[name]Murray[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name] ([name]Murray[/name] isn’t my favorite fn though)
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Williams[/name] ([name]Dash[/name] [name]Williams[/name] is great!)
[name]Martin[/name] [name]Clarence[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (your least off beat name but also the most safe)

I think [name]Fisher[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] are great with your ln.

[name]How[/name] about -

[name]Fisher[/name] [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Fisher[/name] [name]Johannes[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Fisher[/name] [name]Leonardo[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

Names that remind me of [name]Cedric[/name] -

Godric
[name]Roderick[/name]/[name]Roderic[/name]
[name]Audric[/name] - a form of [name]Aldrich[/name]/[name]Aldric[/name]

I think any of the above sound great with your last name.

I love [name]Homer[/name] & [name]Abraham[/name] & [name]Gulliver[/name] they are all on my favourites!

[name]Homer[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name]

[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Homer[/name]

[name]Gulliver[/name] [name]Solomon[/name]

also suggest [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Jonah[/name] & [name]Beckett[/name]

Also instead of [name]Leonardo[/name] for a mn what do you think of [name]Leandro[/name]?

I like your idea of blending a vanilla name with one of these names! At least if he grows up to really hate his name, he can go by his more common middle name.

Yes, I had the same idea with [name]Boone[/name] and [name]Wolfe[/name]. I thought [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wolfe[/name] sounded fascinating and you are right, [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] [name]Williams[/name] really makes it a snazzy name.

I don’t know why, but I just thought of [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Boone[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wolfe[/name] [name]Williams[/name] is still one of my favorites, but his initials would be O.W.W Probably something I want to avoid
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Luke[/name] [name]Williams[/name]**
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Henry[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (have always liked the name [name]Matthew[/name] would have the choice of [name]Abe[/name] or [name]Matt[/name])**
[name]Matthew[/name] [name]Homer[/name] [name]Williams[/name]**

WDYT of these?

Ehhh… not really a fan of [name]Leandro[/name]. To me, its too "[name]LeAnn[/name]"ish a name that I have never cared for. Plus, one of the names I am throwing around in case I ever have a girl is [name]Lavender[/name]. [name]Leandro[/name] and [name]Lavender[/name] or [name]Lysander[/name]… too close. This group seems to have good taste, what do you think of the name [name]Lavender[/name] for a girl? My mom loves it, my best friend loves it, I love it, my husband looks at me with a “I don’t know if this is a joke or she is serious” and my grandma thinks its quaint and that she will love her no matter what. But I havent really thrown it out there yet. [name]Lavender[/name].

I have never been able to say [name]Bartholomew[/name] correctly, so I better stay away from it.
My friend just named her son [name]Jonah[/name] so thats out
and [name]Beckett[/name] sounds too much like [name]Beckham[/name], someone I can’t stand.

I do like [name]Bennett[/name] which is similar.

Question. What are some nns for [name]Gulliver[/name]?

I think that [name]Bennett[/name] is very handsome, too, and love [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Williams[/name]. :slight_smile: I think it’s so handsome!

With [name]Gulliver[/name], the only nickname I can think of is Gully, which I don’t personally think is very handsome. (I love [name]Sully[/name] for [name]Sullivan[/name], though!) :slight_smile: Now that I think about it, I love [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Bennett[/name], too. :slight_smile:

I’m still loving [name]Dashiell[/name] (I so love this name!), [name]Murray[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name], and [name]Leo[/name].

I saw that you’re considering the nickname “[name]Pip[/name],” and I thought I’d mention teasing involving the term “pip squeak.”

I love so many of the names you’re considering!

Continued good wishes! :slight_smile:

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Williams[/name]!!! That is a great name!

[name]Gulliver[/name] - Gully— I am just not liking that so much as a nn.
[name]Sullivan[/name] - [name]Sully[/name] - LIke [name]Sully[/name], like Sul

[name]Pip[/name]- you are right… [name]Pip[/name] Squeak. Maybe I should save that one for a cat or dog. :slight_smile:

You have some really nice names there, but I particularly like [name]Cedric[/name].

[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Peregrine[/name]

Also your idea for [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] was very cute.

Good luck.

Wow! I thought we were having problems deciding on a name before - everyone has made such great suggestions (I really appreciate it btw) that I have no clue how we are ever going to ever narrow it down before he is born. Our hopes are to narrow in down to five and have at least two boy and two girl sibset names in mind for our choice just in case. If you read my other post, we are really liking the name [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosalind[/name]/[name]Roselyn[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] for a daughter. So whatever name we choose for our son, we would like to have the option of using that name in the future (but then again, things could change as we all know).

We went through our names once more tonight to make sure that we have all of our favorites covered.

[name]Abraham[/name]** -really loving this name. My DH is a sports enthusiast and can already see little [name]Abe[/name] [name]Williams[/name] pitching a no hitter in little league. :slight_smile:

[name]Augustus[/name]- (nn [name]Gus[/name]) - DH like [name]Gus[/name] [name]Williams[/name], I think that it could be a mn

[name]Bennett[/name]- We have always liked the nn [name]Ben[/name], but don’t like its popularity, nn potential

[name]Boone[/name] *- (mn only) We [name]LOVE[/name] as a mn

[name]Bowie[/name] (mn only) DH has still not forgotten the [name]Alamo[/name] but could be a cute mn or nn

[name]Cecil[/name] - DH knew twins named [name]Monty[/name] and [name]Cecil[/name] and wanted to add to list. I am unsure whether it would make a better fn or mn or what nn’s it could have.

[name]Cedric[/name]*- We like this name bc we would like to honor someone special named [name]Eric[/name], without using the name [name]Eric[/name] ([name]Eric[/name] will have a lot of contact with the child, and we do not want two Erics in the family)

[name]Clarence[/name]*- ([name]Clancy[/name]) family name

[name]Dashiell[/name] ([name]Dash[/name]) *- We just think that this is a cool name. We have been told that its getting popular and really would like to avoid a “trendy” name if we can. (even though i have not met a [name]Dash[/name]).

[name]Donovan[/name]- Would be a nod to my father in an indirect way

[name]Duncan[/name]- DH also knew brothers named [name]Malcolm[/name] and [name]Duncan[/name] (very [name]Shakespeare[/name], I know) but thinks that they had cool names.

[name]Edmund[/name]

[name]Emmett[/name]

[name]Everett[/name]** - Family name

[name]Finnegan[/name]** - We smile everytime we say it. It’s just a fun name. Is [name]Finn[/name] really that popular?? We really love it.

[name]Fielder[/name] - (mn only) - Like I said, DH is getting creative too and is imagining his son’s name on the loud speaker at a ballpark. I think it could be cute as a mn

[name]Fisher[/name]**- [name]Fisher[/name] [name]Williams[/name]. [name]How[/name] bad would the teasing be, because we are liking it at this point.

[name]Homer[/name]- We still like it, but may use it just as a nn, not a given name.

[name]Jacques[/name]

[name]Johannes[/name]/[name]Johan[/name]

[name]Knight[/name]* - (mn only). This came from the idea that my DH has. [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Knight[/name] [name]Williams[/name] WDYT?

[name]Leonardo[/name] ([name]Leo[/name]) ** Still love [name]Leo[/name]. We love Da [name]Vinci[/name].

[name]Moses[/name] ([name]Moe[/name]/[name]Mose[/name]) - but don’t want too biblical

[name]Murphy[/name] *- its a water name and DH has a friend with this surname he loves.

[name]Oliver[/name] **- must be paired with something unique/fun.

[name]Redford[/name] *- sounds old school. We both love the actor. [name]Red[/name] or [name]Ford[/name] might be nn

[name]Sinclair[/name]**- We want to use this name one way or another. Either for boy or girl as mn.

[name]Sullivan[/name] **- [name]Sully[/name] and Sul. We really like this one.

[name]Wolf[/name]/[name]Wolfe[/name] * -mn only.

Wrigley- DH wants it on the list, but Wrigley [name]Williams[/name]… ??? I am vetoing it, but it can “stay” on the list. :slight_smile:

Our “safe names” that we like if you think that we should balance some of the above name selections:
[name]Matthew[/name]/[name]Matt[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Beau[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Sam[/name]/[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Ben[/name] or any form ([name]Benjamin[/name]) etc.
[name]Harry[/name]/[name]Henry[/name]/[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Joe[/name]/[name]Jones[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] (mn only)
[name]Phillippe[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Ted[/name])
[name]Martin[/name]

That’s our updated list.

Updated combos:

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Murray[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wolf[/name]/[name]Wolfe[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (unclear how to spell [name]Wolf[/name]/e)*
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Olivier[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Williams[/name] ([name]Ben[/name]-nay)
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Moses[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Fisher[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Martin[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Cedric[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Boone[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] [name]Homer[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Jacques[/name] [name]Olivier[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Murray[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Leonardo[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]*
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Williams[/name] *
[name]Fisher[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Fisher[/name] [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Martin[/name] [name]Clarence[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Clarence[/name] [name]Martin[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

Blow me down I was looking for names that meant ‘wolf’ as I felt that [name]Wolf[/name] [name]Williams[/name] was a bit much, and to my surprise the name [name]ROLLO[/name] came up! It is from the Old French [name]Roul[/name] meaning ‘famous wolf’ and from the name [name]Rolland[/name].

So the latest combo from me is

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Rollo[/name] [name]Williams[/name]! [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Roland[/name] [name]Williams[/name]. I guess the R’s roll together but it was a nice thought while it lasted. Sigh.

Other wolf names

Randulf
[name]Randal[/name]
[name]Kenyon[/name]
[name]Raoul[/name]

Okay… Before I feed back on the boys’ names, I wanted to answer your question about [name]Lavender[/name]. I think it’s very sweet, but I wouldn’t use it because the natural nickname for it is Lav, and in the UK that’s slang for a toilet. I did read a book where the main character was [name]Lavender[/name] nn La (as in do re mi fa so), but even so, the Lav bit stands out too much for me. But that’s just my opinion.

From your boys list, I am still absolutely loving [name]Abraham[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name] for fns. From the new additions, I like [name]Bennet[/name] (but MUCH prefer the ben-net pronunciation rather than ben-nay), [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Duncan[/name] (love!), [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Redford[/name].

My favourite combos:
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Murray[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Knight[/name] [name]Williams[/name] (although I think a third mn may balance this)
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Homer[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] [name]Homer[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Jacques[/name] [name]Olivier[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Murray[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Fisher[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

A couple more suggestions (although you’re probably wanting to narrow it down instead of have more ideas now - sorry!):
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Redford[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Williams[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Williams[/name]

Good luck narrowing it down! Perhaps you could take your list and each take one off that you are less keen on and once you’ve done this a few times you’ll be left with the ones in the middle that neither of you want to get rid of? I’m sure someone mentioned this idea before, and it seemed like a good one!

[name]Bella[/name],

I have really enjoyed reading your list of names! So many of them have become some of my favorite boy names too. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Abraham[/name] and [name]Sinclair[/name]! [name]Homer[/name], [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Murphy[/name]… [name]Redford[/name]… [name]Oliver[/name]… [name]Boone[/name]… [name]Sullivan[/name]… I am curious as to what you decided or if you are still narrowing it down…

I missed this when it was up, so I voted. I’m the only one who liked [name]Johannes[/name]! I also found out you can change your vote later, because of the way my screen lines up (I’ve enlarged the text), I accidentally voted for [name]Homer[/name]. No [name]Homer[/name], no likey. I also voted for [name]Oliver[/name]. I think more people would like [name]Johannes[/name] if you posted something stinky instead of all those handsome well-liked names.

I like that you are making these offbeat combos against the name [name]Williams[/name] - common for a last name as well as a first. Uncommon names really flourish in this environment, I think. I’m not sure [name]Johannes[/name] [name]Williams[/name] sounds better than some of the other names, and I don’t really consider [name]Oliver[/name] “way out there” as say, [name]Peregrin[/name]. [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Williams[/name] flows better than [name]Johannes[/name], alas, but if it’s offbeat you want, I don’t think [name]Oliver[/name] is that innovative. I have to go back over the thread discussion and see whatever I missed.