Officially Team Blue!! But gosh, a girl would have been easier to name :)

[name]Hi[/name] all -

I posted a question to the general name board last week asking for help with names but now [name]Baby[/name] decided to share with us at his 20-week that he is a boy. :slight_smile: We find boy names difficult because we already have a lot of boys already in the fam plus hubby and I have slightly different styles.

Names already taken/nixed: ANY form of “[name]Ben[/name],” [name]Forrest[/name], [name]Jeremiah[/name], [name]Michael[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]William[/name], ANY form of “[name]Ed[/name],” [name]John[/name], [name]Paul[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Mathias[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Peter[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Dominic[/name], [name]Seth[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Julian[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Thaddeus[/name], [name]Vincent[/name], [name]Victor[/name], [name]Gregory[/name], [name]Dean[/name].

Whew. Sigh. :slight_smile:

My criteria (Dh rarely has criteria haha):

1. Needs to go with a common, English-sounding, two-syllable last name that begins with “P”
  2. We love classic/Catholic [name]Saint[/name]/Biblical/traditional names but I am trying to avoid it being overly popular or plain.
  3. [name]James[/name] (family name) is the likely middle name.

So far, MY favorite is [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name]. Dh prefers [name]Nathan[/name] - no resolution yet.

Other names currently on the list:

1. [name]Patrick[/name] - is this “too Irish” (as one family member put it)? Our last name is deceptively British-sounding (our family heritages are more Polish and Spanish).

2. [name]Cedric[/name] - Dh’s suggestion. I am really unsure. Too nerdy?

3. [name]Luke[/name] - like, but too common?

4. [name]Timothy[/name] - Like, but not a fan of bland nn “[name]Tim[/name]” (Dh loves “[name]Tim[/name]”)

5. [name]Gabriel[/name] - Like [name]Gabe[/name], not sure how I feel about the full name.

Other names kicked around but not at the top of our list: [name]Heath[/name], [name]Ian[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Wes[/name], [name]Logan[/name]

Any other suggestions or feedback?? I feel like we’ve combed through so many names, and still haven’t found “the one”. [name]TIA[/name]!

Why can’t it be [name]Nathanial[/name] nn [name]Nathan[/name]?

In another thread the name [name]Levi[/name] [name]James[/name] was overwhelmingly adored, so that is what came to my mind first.

[name]Padraig[/name] may be too Irish, but [name]Patrick[/name] is fine.

If your DH loves [name]Tim[/name], make him happy ha ha! Now if only I could get my wife to do the same.

I know it’s weird, but I am honestly not a huge fan of [name]Nathan[/name]. Dh and I would likely nn either name “[name]Nate[/name].” But it’s something I’ll consider for sure!

Lol, oh I am tryin’! :slight_smile: The family name [name]James[/name] is all his side plus the last name is his side. :slight_smile: My problem with [name]Tim[/name] is that it’s so common… Dh actually works with a guy who is named [name]Tim[/name] with our same last name. Ack! :slight_smile:

Here are some less used Biblical names off the top of my head:
[name]Josiah[/name]- nn Siah
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]- (as a form of [name]John[/name])
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
I know there are more, these are just all I can come up with. From your list I like [name]Luke[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Ian[/name], and [name]Nathaniel[/name]. I also don’t like [name]Nathan[/name], don’t know why, but I prefer either [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Nate[/name]/[name]Nat[/name]. I don’t hear many boys named [name]Luke[/name] anymore, so it doesn’t seem too common to me.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Cedric[/name]. I don’t find it nerdy at all.

I absolutely love [name]Cedric[/name]! Definitely not nerdy, in my opinion - it does have an association with [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] but he was a very positive character.

If you’ve considered [name]Gabriel[/name] with the nickname [name]Gabe[/name], how do you feel about [name]Raphael[/name], nickname [name]Rafe[/name]?

Dh is hard to please! He has nixed these! (I can’t believe it! :)). I personally like [name]Asher[/name], [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Josiah[/name], and [name]Jude[/name], but I guess this whole marriage thing means we have to agree, lol. Husbands! :slight_smile:

Hmm, the votes in favor of [name]Cedric[/name] have me warming up to it. It’s still on Dh’s list for sure. I also like [name]Raphael[/name] (great [name]Saint[/name] connection) and the nn [name]Rafe[/name].

Ha! Really?? That’s awesome. My Dh has the most unexpected suggestions… I have no idea what to even categorize his “style” sometimes.

[name]Joshua[/name] - It was a lot popular before, not so much these days
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]

I like [name]Cedric[/name] too…
also,
[name]Fergus[/name]/ [name]Angus[/name]/ [name]August[/name] (nn, [name]Gus[/name])
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Gabel[/name] as an alternative to [name]Gabriel[/name] for the nn [name]Gabe[/name]? I prefer [name]Gabel[/name] personally as it seems more masculine and strong. [name]Raphael[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Cedric[/name] are both great as well. Other ideas:

[name]Ezra[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Felix[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Adrian[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Declan[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Zephyr[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Casper[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name] [name]James[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lucas[/name] instead of [name]Luke[/name]? Or [name]Leo[/name] (I think we are choosing this if this bun in
The oven is a boy.

Hello Phillipswife,

I’m interested in your post because our last name is also very English-sounding, two syllables and starts with “P”. [name]James[/name] is also a family middle and first name (but for that exact reason we are avoiding it).

We like [name]Felix[/name], too! But we don’t even know the sex, so we are just toying around at this stage.

I don’t love [name]Cedric[/name], mainly because of my own baseless bias. I just imagine a snobbish character in a BBC period costume drama, or the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character (less bad, but presumably chosen by the [name]Author[/name] specifically because of the name’s inescapable ultra-traditional connotations, which haven’t changed).

I really like any of your other suggestions, but if DH has vetoed them, then [name]Luke[/name] is lovely! After all, “common names” aren’t going to be that common if everyone keeps looking for rarer ones!

Oh, I love [name]Timothy[/name] [name]James[/name]!

For some reason my response didn’t go through last night! Thanks for the heads up! My Dh has the most interesting taste in names - ya never know what he’s going to suggest lol. That’s cool that he’s apparently “cutting edge”! :slight_smile:

I’m going to throw a weird one into the mix: [name]Inigo[/name]. It’s one of my favourites but I don’t know if I’d be brave enough to use it.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Luca[/name] or [name]Lucas[/name] instead of [name]Luke[/name]?

Or: [name]Robert[/name], [name]Ian[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Dillon[/name]?