Oiseau?

What do you think of the name Oiseau for a first or middle name, and what first and middle names would sound nice in combination with it? It is pronounced “wah-zoh” for those who don’t know!

I think it’s very silly. It means bird in French. I fail to see the attraction of this name, it doesn’t even sound pretty or anything :(. Please don’t name your daughter this.

i think it’s lovely! it sounds a bit like zoe, which i like very much but is so overused now.

Oiseau [name]Charlotte[/name]
Oiseau [name]Jane[/name]
Oiseau [name]Doe[/name] (too animal-y?)
[name]Eleanor[/name] Oiseau
[name]Willa[/name] Oiseau
[name]Willow[/name] Oiseau
[name]Winona[/name] Oiseau ([name]Winona[/name] may be too indicative of the actress, though)
Winnow Oiseau
[name]Rosen[/name] Oiseau

If you’re in the U.S., prepare for the pronunciation of your daughter’s name to be butchered for her entire life, that’s all I can say. Oiseau is sort of cute, but I think there are a lot better French names that will have a much easier time. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Isabeau[/name]? It has the same ending sound, but it’s much more likely to be pronounced properly since it’s similar to [name]Isabelle[/name].

i think it is really weird,it made me cringe

In all honesty, when i see that name i’m not even sure how to say it without your help. I think it’s hard when people name their kids names that you can’t pronounce when looking at.

• [name]Evelyn[/name]

I’m not really a fan of [name]Isabeau[/name] as I don’t really like the “Is” names in general ([name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Isabella[/name])…I am surprised by the feedback Oiseau has gotten, to me it doesn’t sound that weird, it’s got the “wa” sound that is in the name [name]Wanda[/name] and the “zoh” sound that [name]Chloe[/name]…
I do like [name]Willa[/name] Oiseau but worry that the double “w” sound is a bit cartoon-y…:confused:

Also, the name [name]Ava[/name] means bird and no one seems to think that is a hindrance to it!

In my French class at school, when we go over the names of various domestic animals we are shown a picture of the animal and have to say it in French. Now, the picture for the bird is a really goofy-looking cartoon parrot. Clip-[name]Art[/name] style. So while I can say Oiseau, I can’t say it without giggling.
Consider:
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Zola[/name]
[name]Zora[/name]

[name]Ava[/name] means “life”, actually; it’s a variant of [name]Eva[/name]/[name]Eve[/name]. It’s associated with [name]Avis[/name], which DOES mean bird, but [name]Ava[/name] doesn’t actually mean bird. [name]Even[/name] if it did, people are more likely to know French than Latin.

Oh, alright! I must have heard of the similar name [name]Avis[/name] and made a connection to it when responding. Either way, I have seen the name [name]Ava[/name] associated with a variety of meanings including “[name]Bird[/name]-like”. I am aware that Oiseau isn’t a conventional name at all, but considering the hundreds of names that are odd and growing in popularity, I had thought that people here would be a bit more welcoming to it. I am more interested in the sound of it than the meaning of it of course, and considering its likeness to names ending in -oe sound, I am not sure it really is as strange as it may seem to be at first thought!

The fact that it’s a masculine noun is a big no-no for me… a big no-no with a huge cringe. Unless a noun-as-name has history as a name for the opposite gender, I feel like it’s a lack of respect for the language and comes across as ignorant :confused: I’m definitely not saying that you don’t respect French or that you’re ignorant or anything like that, but it comes across that way… but it probably won’t to people who don’t speak a language with gendered nouns.

[name]One[/name] of my favourite names is [name]Amparo[/name], which is also a masculine noun, but it’s a super common female name throughout Spain, especially in the region I used to live in, and is usually used to honour the Patroness of the Valencian Community (la Virgen de los Desamparados); it is very, very, very rarely used for boys. It means ‘shelter’, and ends in the -o sound. An other one I really love is [name]Leonor[/name], which I feel like is kind of similar in sound to oiseau.
[name]Olya[/name]
[name]Olimpia[/name]
[name]Orsola[/name]
[name]Olympe[/name]
[name]Ottoline[/name]
[name]Rosemonde[/name]
Seffora
[name]Aloisia[/name]

Actually, [name]Ava[/name] does not mean any of the above. It is a name of various origins and meanings, but “bird” or “life” are not one of them.

I usually like word names, but this is not one of them. Have you considered: Automne, [name]Belle[/name], [name]Cerise[/name], [name]Lune[/name] or [name]Soleil[/name]. There are a lot of French word names I can think of that are much lovelier than Oiseau. I think it would be ok in the middle name spot. That said, I would not chose a first name that ends in a vowel. Here are some suggestions:

[name]Anne[/name] Oiseau
[name]Belle[/name] Oiseau
[name]Callie[/name] Oiseau
[name]Catherine[/name] Oiseau
[name]Daisy[/name] Oiseau
[name]Ember[/name] Oiseau
[name]Florence[/name] Oiseau
[name]Ffion[/name] Oiseau
Greenlee Oiseau
[name]Harper[/name] Oiseau
[name]Ivy[/name] Oiseau
[name]Jade[/name] Oiseau
[name]Lily[/name] Oiseau
[name]Ruby[/name] Oiseau

I really like [name]Ottoline[/name] and [name]Ember[/name]! I see what you mean about the masculine noun problem with Oiseau, though. Hm…

I love [name]Ottoline[/name]!

I had no idea how to pronounce it, and would be concerned about her constantly telling people how to say her name. The sound of it doesn’t bother me, and neither does the meaning. I would just prefer something “different” that people can still say. That being said, I wouldn’t mind it in the middle!

No offense but you know this is not a name right? I would say it’s prn too much like "wazoo"as in “out the wazoo” for the English speakers imo http://www.forvo.com/word/oiseau/#fr.

Its also masculine so it looks very strange on a girl for a French word. Many French sites say Aveline is related to birds, I think its a good option for you.

While I understand how Oiseau might sound interesting to non French speaker, someone who is a French speaker would simply hear it as “[name]Bird[/name].” I too am attracted to the sound of words, but names are too important for such whimsy. Choose an actual name that has a similar sound and that isn’t simply a random, pleasant-sounding foreign word.

My American half thinks about how absolutely butchered it would be. I think Americans have an especially hard time with French vowel sounds. It also looks nothing like it’s said (by English standards). My French half says, wow, that’s so not a word - and as others mentioned, it’s masculine. [name]France[/name] has a long history of only allowing certain names to be used in the country, and word names really aren’t the norm. This seems very bizarre. I also think it’s a bit of a mouthful anyway - hard to imagine shouting it across a playground.

I would consider making a spelling that would let people know how to pronounce it. My best guess at how to pronounce it if I saw it would be oh-see. I don’t like the sound of Wah-zoh at all.