Ok, so how do you feel about the name...

Does anyone like the name [name]Caspian[/name]/Kaspian?
I am not a Chronicles or [name]Narnia[/name] person nor was I really looking for a geographical name…
Does it sound cool or is it too serious? I have posted on
the name [name]Killian[/name] (probably too many times…sorry!:slight_smile: and am just in baby
naming mode and would love to just pick one. My husband likes this
one too, but is it comparable? I like it with the K, I like that it is 3 syllables, I
like the nick name “[name]Kass[/name].” It’s my first child/son, so I am just feeling like whatever I
pick is setting the tone for future children. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Kaspian is a great name! I would probably spell it [name]Caspian[/name], mostly because thats what more people would expect and the kid would have less explaining to do. Its a strong masculine name that I’m surprised that I’ve never heard before. Go for it! (I like it much better than [name]Killian[/name] which sounds violent to me).

I think [name]Caspian[/name] with a “C” is a very handsome name. But unless you love [name]Prince[/name] [name]Caspian[/name] or the [name]Caspian[/name] Sea, I wouldn’t use it. Lots of people he meets in life are going to say, “Oh, did your parents name you after [name]Prince[/name] [name]Caspian[/name]” or “Oh, [name]Caspian[/name] like the [name]Caspian[/name] Sea?” That’s why I appreciate names like [name]Jack[/name] or [name]William[/name]. People don’t make comments. The comments get old when you hear them daily for eighty years or so.

That’s a good point, [name]Susan[/name]. I don’t think I love that name enough to have questions about [name]Narnia[/name] or geography asked daily to me/him. My thing is that I tend to like names that are more “obvious” word names. That was something I wondered about [name]Killian[/name] too, people asking “ooo, like the beer?” See, I like [name]Olive[/name] for a girl, I think [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Saffron[/name] are cool too. I think it may just be something I might have to live with, since I am drawn to names like this.

I would wonder if this name has more relevant significance with your husband - that would validate this name even if it doesn’t have the same significance for you. I think it is an ok name, which I might consider using if I had a husband who liked it and could justify its use as a reference to something meaningful, or even just “cool.” I guess it’s not random or neutral enough, like [name]Miles[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] - you don’t have to like jazz music to find those names appealing, but they can be strongly significant if you do, or more meaningful for one parent and just nice kind of names to the other. Find out why your husband really likes this name, and if he’s not really into the references either, then it’s going to be kind of weird.

I still like [name]Killian[/name] better, and like I said last time, the beer was named for a person, it has a 's at the end - it’s a real name, so I don’t really get this as a “named for beer” kind of reference like I would if you liked a name like Michelob or Pabst or [name]Red[/name] Stripe. It is more like [name]Miller[/name] or [name]Sam[/name] [name]Adams[/name], although I probably wouldn’t use [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Adam[/name] together like that. [name]Killian[/name], to me, has the “neutral” effect that [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] also have for jazz references - suitable for people who don’t even like the taste of beer.

I like it but it’s very [name]Narnia[/name] (not necessarily a bad thing, as I’m a big fan) and likely to attract plenty of attention as such. Isn’t Disney still making [name]Narnia[/name] movies?

I think it’s quite handsome. I’d be pleasantly surprised to meet a young [name]Caspian[/name] (I prefer it with a C). I also like [name]Cillian[/name]/[name]Killian[/name] quite a lot, and wouldn’t even think of the beer connection. I wouldn’t worry about the [name]Narnia[/name]/Sea connection, either. People find something to ask about most names, especially the unusual ones. It’s probably not the end of the world to tell people that you’re not named after such-and-such. I really like the idea of [name]Cass[/name] as a nickname for [name]Caspian[/name], it’s a lot better than Kill! The names actually have a similar feel to me, and definitely a similar sound. I think it’s a great choice, two thumbs up!

I like [name]Caspian[/name] but I don’t know if I would personally use it. Is the “ian” ending that you like?
If so how about-

[name]Bastian[/name]
[name]Christian[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Finian[/name]

I like [name]Crispin[/name] as an alternative to [name]Caspian[/name].

Too funny! I was at a winery 2 days ago (not drinking of course), and there was a family tree in the tasting room where I noticed the name [name]Caspian[/name]. I like it! I ran it past my hubby, who isn’t a fan, but I’m still in favor of it. My great grandfather was [name]Casper[/name], which I don’t think will ever live down the ghost, but [name]Caspian[/name] is a great alternative. Go for it!

I came across a birth announcement this weekend for a [name]Cassian[/name], and thought of this topic. I really liked it and thought it might be a great alternative for [name]Caspian[/name] - all of the good stuff, but without the [name]Narnia[/name] connection…

Hey there, [name]Cassian[/name] is cool name. [name]Do[/name] you know if it would be pronounced “[name]Cash[/name]-in”
or “cassie-in?” Maybe neither?

[name]Cassian[/name] is a cool name! [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Wilson[/name] named his son Kassian, I like the C spelling better. [name]Caspian[/name] is cool too, but I agree with [name]Susan[/name] that he will get asked ‘oh are you named after…’
Best of luck! :slight_smile:

I would have assumed [name]Cass[/name]-ee-en, but it came up on the first couple of sites I tried as [name]Kash[/name]-en. [name]Both[/name] of which I like, but I prefer the [name]Cass[/name]-ee-en version. It’s strange, considering how similar it is to [name]Cassius[/name], etc.

I like all the names killian, caspian and cassian. [name]Killian[/name] is common in ireland and I have always liked it but it seems that most americans don’t like it. I would go with either killian or cassian.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Caspian[/name], but sadly I have to agree with everyone else. :frowning: Your son is just going to get too many questions along the lines of “Where you named after [name]Prince[/name] [name]Caspian[/name]?”, etc and so are you - espicially with the movie version coming out this [name]December[/name].

I think [name]Cassian[/name]/Kassian is a beautiful alternative, though! :slight_smile:

Have you thought about [name]Cassius[/name]?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Caspian[/name] better than any of the other suggested names in this thread, and as far as unintentional literary references go, [name]Narnia[/name] is not a bad association at all. GREAT name. :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Caspian[/name] and I love the [name]Narnia[/name] books and movies, but I think it would get old to be asked about [name]Prince[/name] [name]Caspian[/name] every day, several times a day.
When somebody asks me what my name is, I like to say it and then move on without a big conversation about [name]Susan[/name]. There never is a conversation about [name]Susan[/name] because [name]Susan[/name] is a vanilla name. Unless somebody says, “Oh, my mom is named [name]Susan[/name]!” or something like that. That’s always fine.

Hey! I thought of a great alternative to [name]Caspian[/name]. There is another [name]Narnia[/name] book called “The Horse and His Boy”. It has a wonderful boy in it named [name]Corin[/name]. [name]Corin[/name] is a great name that means “spear”. But nobody will think of a sea or a prince.

[name]Corin[/name] IS a great name!
But talking about [name]Narnia[/name] references, I actually know a guy called Aslan. When I met him I thought it was rather strange (and unfortunate for him) and I have heard loads of people saying the inevitable “So I guess your parents were CS [name]Lewis[/name] fans?”, but after knowing him it’s just become quite normal, and everyone refers to him as “As” (pronounced Az) anyway. So I imagine [name]Caspian[/name] would ultimately become [name]Cass[/name], and people who knew him wouldn’t think about the [name]Narnia[/name] reference anymore either. I do still like [name]Cassian[/name] though.

[name]Caspian[/name]/Kaspian

I like it!! Sound very strong. He will have to grow into that name with such power behind it. But my 2 boys are named [name]Ryker[/name] and [name]Quest[/name] so I like those strong names too.
And about the spelling. Everyone will ask anyway how to spell it, so spell it the way you like. But at least it is very easy to pronounce so no confusion there.
Good luck with the little pea!