Old fashioned names - dated or ready for a comeback?

When we were choosing a name for our first daughter, we loved [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]. We went with [name]Eleanor[/name] because it is more common and we thought [name]Beatrice[/name] was a little wild. I’m glad we did because our [name]Eleanor[/name] is such an [name]Eleanor[/name] and she now has a little sister, [name]Beatrice[/name], who is such a [name]Bea[/name]!

I feel like I’ve looked at all the more mainstream names over and over and think it might be time to consider wilder options. We like old fashioned names. I might have laughed if someone had suggested we use some of the following when naming our first daughter but now that we’re on our third, they sound more interesting and more ready for a comeback.

Which of these are fun, interesting, stylish choices and which are just not ready for a comeback yet (or ever!). I assume that name people who frequent these boards may like some of the names below but honestly, how will they hold up in the real world? For example, [name]Eleanor[/name] is everywhere on name boards but we definitely got some raised eyebrows and still do actually when we introduce her. Same with [name]Beatrice[/name]. Thanks and other suggestions welcome!!

[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
Eleuthera
[name]Enid[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] — Hmmmm… I like it but I don’t love it. Still sounds a bit clunky to my ears.

[name]Agnes[/name] — Much better. I think this name is ready for a slow and steady comeback. I wouldn’t choose it for your sibset because of the similar sounding endings of [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Agnes[/name].

[name]Augusta[/name] — Not really a fan… still sounds like a city name to me, but I do like [name]August[/name] or [name]Augustus[/name] on a boy.

[name]Clementine[/name] — I love this name, I think it sounds very sweet and is starting to become quite popular. Especially with people really into naming their kids after fruits/plants these days. =p

[name]Dorothy[/name] — Very cute, this would sound great with [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]!

[name]Edith[/name] — I like it but it’s not my favorite. I would love to see this name come back, though.

Eleuthera — Never heard this name before… but I do NOT like it! haha =D

[name]Enid[/name] — Same as [name]Edith[/name]. It’s not my favorite but I would love to see other people choose it.

[name]Florence[/name] — VERY cute, love this name.

[name]Imogen[/name] — I love this name too, but I think it sounds so much better with a British accent. I probably wouldn’t choose it since I’m American.

[name]Pearl[/name] — [name]LOVE[/name] IT, lots of people seem to be choosing this name. It’s definitely coming back.

[name]Sybil[/name] — Not my favorite, but it does have a certain appeal…

[name]Winifred[/name] — My [name]FAVORITE[/name] from your list!!! A+++++! =D

My favorite picks for you:
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name]

I have a soft spot for nearly every name on your list… not a lot of criticism from me! Hehe.

First off you two girls have lovely names! [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] are spectacular names. I considered [name]Beatrice[/name] but decided that [name]Beatrix[/name] worked better with my other girl names.
Here is what I think:

[name]Agatha[/name] - I really like this name and [name]Aggie[/name] is such a great nn.
[name]Agnes[/name] - nms but it is a great and solid name.
[name]Augusta[/name] - I prefer [name]August[/name] for a boy but this is a great name.
[name]Clementine[/name] - nms, all I can picture is a yummy orange.
[name]Dorothy[/name] - I actually think this name fits awesomely with [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]!
[name]Edith[/name] - See [name]Agatha[/name] but with nn [name]Edie[/name]
Eleuthera - [name]How[/name] do you pronounce this?
[name]Enid[/name] - nms
[name]Florence[/name] - A great visual!
[name]Imogen[/name] - I adore this name!
[name]Pearl[/name] - nms but it has a great sound.
[name]Sybil[/name] - nms.
[name]Winifred[/name] - I love this name a lot!

My favorites are:
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Edith[/name] (but the double ‘e’ might bother you)
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Winifred[/name]

I love most of these names! I adore [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]; they have both been on our list of awhile.

My favorites of your list are:
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

You might also consider:
[name]Althea[/name] or [name]Alethea[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

I love [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], and [name]Sybil[/name]. However, my favorite with your other daughters is [name]Sybil[/name]. [name]Sybil[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is a name I recently tried to get my friend to use. Best of luck!

Totally ready for a come back:
[name]Agatha[/name]–I had honestly forgotten about this one, but I love it
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]–but I think this risks becoming trendy
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]–this name always seems tongue-twistery to me
[name]Pearl[/name]–I adore this as well

Maybe not…
[name]Agnes[/name]–I like this name, but I’m not sure an actual kid should have the name yet.
[name]Dorothy[/name]–I know people on these boards have successfully used [name]Dorothy[/name], but it is a clunkier name than [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Enid[/name]–Another name I like, but that still has an old-lady sound
Eleuthera
[name]Sybil[/name]–I only put this on this list because I don’t actually like it
[name]Winifred[/name]–I think [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is prettier

Other suggestions:
[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Lorraine[/name]
[name]Marilla[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name]- This is definitely on my list! It is such a cute name with the nn [name]Aggie[/name] is doll!
[name]Agnes[/name]- I like it but it has it’s off days with me.
[name]Augusta[/name]- [name]Don[/name]'t really like this name doesn’t give me that feeling that just makes me wanna die.
[name]Clementine[/name]- [name]Love[/name] hands DOWN!!
[name]Dorothy[/name]- [name]Love[/name] it! Recently rediscovered this one so I really like!
[name]Edith[/name]- This is my grandmothers name but I just can’t see it on a baby. too dated for me.
Eleuthera- I don’t know about this one but it doesn’t really go with your girls names.
[name]Enid[/name]- [name]Kinda[/name] like. Still have to think about it though.
[name]Florence[/name]- Not really crazy bout this one but it is adorable. [name]Just[/name] not for me.
[name]Imogen[/name]- Seems to be getting more noticed, don’t know if thats bad or good.
[name]Pearl[/name]- Very classic t me can’t be dated.
[name]Sybil[/name]- Seems too masculine.
[name]Winifred[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this more then all my favorites from your list combined! This is the one I would choose!

[name]Hi[/name]!

In my personal opinion, [name]Enid[/name], [name]Edith[/name], and [name]Sybil[/name] aren’t ready for a comeback. [name]Edie[/name] is cute, yes, but [name]Edith[/name]? A bit on the musty side. And, Eleuthera? I’ve honestly never heard of or seen that one! With [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name], I wouldn’t use that - it’s such a challenging one to pronounce and spell.

I think [name]Agatha[/name] is slightly musty, but [name]Aggie[/name] is a cute match to [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Bea[/name]. [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], and [name]Agatha[/name] work well. I’d say that [name]Imogen[/name] is perfect with your girls, too! [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Bea[/name], and [name]Gen[/name]? Cute.

Now, you might have noticed that both [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] have that EA vowel pattern in 'em, and maybe you’d like another quirky vintage name for a future baby with the same pattern - just a thought. The easiest way to get one is to find a name ending in -ea. [name]Alethea[/name] is a name meaning “truth” with a history dating back to the 1500s - if that doesn’t say vintage, I don’t know what does! [name]Alethea[/name] allows you to use the modern [name]Ali[/name] or the classic [name]Thea[/name] as nicknames, and it works beautifully with [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]. If you’re a [name]Mozart[/name] fan, you might like the romantic [name]Amadea[/name], meaning “God’s beloved.” You can use the modern [name]Amy[/name] as a nickname or the trendy [name]Mady[/name]. You had [name]Dorothy[/name] on your list, but the clunky [name]Dorothea[/name] might be even better! You get [name]Dora[/name], [name]Dot[/name], and [name]Dottie[/name] plus the quirky [name]Thea[/name]! But, what else might you use? [name]Althea[/name]. Similar to [name]Alethea[/name] but easier to pronounce, this name meaning “with healing power” is most associated with African American tennis great [name]Althea[/name] [name]Gibson[/name], but it’s got history and a powerful meaning, no pun intended. Again, [name]Ali[/name] and [name]Thea[/name] work as nicknames…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Agatha[/name] - it was my favorite name until my husband vetoed it. Also love [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name]. Eleuthera is a little over the top, and I think I must be in the minority who find [name]Clementine[/name] outright hideous. [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name] are nice. The rest I mostly find boring, bland or otherwise not my style.

[name]Agatha[/name] - ready for a comeback!
[name]Agnes[/name]- ditto! Plus nn [name]Nessa[/name] is cute.
[name]Augusta[/name]- I adore [name]Augusta[/name] but have trouble coming up with a nn that would be sweet and have the same impact as the full name and be on the same level as [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Bea[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]- This is sweet but more for a middle name I think. [name]How[/name] about [name]Clemence[/name]?
[name]Dorothy[/name]- [name]May[/name] be ready for a comeback but perhaps still a bit clunky?
[name]Edith[/name]- I definitely think [name]Edith[/name] is ready for a comeback. I adore the hardness of the D and the softness of the th together
Eleuthera - not ready
[name]Enid[/name] - I also like [name]Enid[/name] (and [name]Eden[/name])
[name]Florence[/name]- ready for a comeback and nn’s [name]Ren[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] both sweet
[name]Imogen[/name]- I think [name]Imogen[/name] is a wonderful name and like [name]Gin[/name]/[name]Ginny[/name] as a nn too
[name]Pearl[/name]- I like this is well but probably more in the middle spot
[name]Sybil[/name]- not sure how I feel about [name]Sybil[/name]. I do like the name a lot but I think more of a strange association for me
[name]Winifred[/name]- I like [name]Winifred[/name] but not sure how ready she is for a comeback yet.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Louisa[/name]? [name]Ottilie[/name]? [name]Odele[/name]? [name]Odelia[/name]?

[name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] are a great sister duo! Here are my opinions on your name list with my faves in bold.
[name]Agatha[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name. It has a literary association ([name]Christie[/name]). I just think it’s a rarely used gem that should be chosen more often. I’ve always adored [name]Agatha[/name] and [name]Edith[/name] as sisters.
[name]Agnes[/name] - It’s not a fave of mine and don’t think it will come back anytime soon.
[name]Augusta[/name] - A majestic name. I like this name in the middle spot too.
[name]Clementine[/name] - This is definitely on the rise. It has a spunky vibe to it that appeals to many people.
[name]Dorothy[/name] - I’m not a fan but I do like [name]Dorothea[/name].
[name]Edith[/name] - This is [name]Agatha[/name]'s sister for me. [name]Love[/name] the literary association ([name]Wharton[/name]) and the nn [name]Edie[/name].
Eleuthera - Too long and difficult to pronounce. I don’t see this on the comeback trail.
[name]Enid[/name] - It’s ok but I’m not too crazy about the “een” sound. I think it’s on the rise.
[name]Imogen[/name] - A lovely Shakespearean name on the rise!
[name]Florence[/name] - When the British Prime Minister chooses this name, you just know more people will be considering it for their daughter too. I think it will come back but maybe not as strongly as [name]Flora[/name].
[name]Pearl[/name] - This name has already come back in a big way. I like it in the middle spot the best.
[name]Sybil[/name] - I love this mythological name but I don’t foresee any gains in popularity like other ancient names (eg. [name]Penelope[/name])
[name]Winifred[/name] - I can see the appeal of this name and I think it will be rise in usuage in the coming years.

[name]Agatha[/name]- I hate this name, I just think the “ag” syllable is so unattractive.
[name]Agnes[/name]- Ditto as above.
[name]Augusta[/name]- Hmm, it’s not horrible, and the nn Auggie has potential, but it’s not exactly pretty imo.
[name]Clementine[/name]- Cute name, and I do like [name]Clemmie[/name], but I don’t love it
[name]Dorothy[/name]- i hate the name [name]Dorothy[/name], sorry! It just speaks fustiness to me. Also dislike [name]Dot[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name]/[name]Dorrie[/name]/[name]Dora[/name].
[name]Edith[/name]- Like [name]Augusta[/name], not awful, and the nn [name]Edie[/name] makes it better, but I still don’t like it.
Eleuthera- I’ve never heard this before, not sure how to pronounce it, it could be pretty.
[name]Enid[/name]- strongly dislike. Not ready for a comeback.
[name]Florence[/name]- oh yay!I like [name]Florence[/name] a lot, and especially the nn [name]Flossie[/name]. [name]Flossie[/name] is just darling. Hate [name]Flo[/name] though.
[name]Imogen[/name]- beautiful, sophisticated and Shakesperean. love it.
[name]Pearl[/name]- so cute! Definitely an awesome alternative to the more popular one-syllable names ([name]Claire[/name], [name]Grace[/name])
[name]Sybil[/name]- don’t like at all.
[name]Winifred[/name]- cute, and the nn [name]Winnie[/name] is adorable!

So I like…
[name]Florence[/name] (nn [name]Flossie[/name])
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name] (nn [name]Winnie[/name])any of those 4 ^ would be charming. [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] are both lovely, old-fashioned names that still sound entirely modern. Personally I think most of the names you have on this list aren’t as hip. good luck!

Thank you for your reply! I would love some hip name suggestions that go with [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] if you have a moment. FYI our son is [name]Reynolds[/name] (family name) nn [name]Rhett[/name]. If we have a boy, we are strongly considering [name]Henry[/name] nn [name]Hank[/name]. I also like [name]Miles[/name] (maybe nn [name]Milo[/name]) and [name]Joseph[/name] (maybe nn [name]Jesse[/name]).

[name]Althea[/name] is pretty but I have to get used to it I think
I like [name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name] but honestly love [name]Pippa[/name] more than [name]Philippa[/name]
I like [name]Margo/name as a nn for [name]Margaret[/name] but we have a son named [name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name] is lovely and one of my best friend’s names!
[name]Sylvia[/name] is pretty but not for us
[name]Victoria[/name] is pretty but not for us
[name]Vivian[/name] is great and would definitely be on our list but I think a [name]Rhett[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name]/[name]Vivien[/name] is too Gone with the Wind!
Thank you!

Totally ready for a come back:
[name]Agatha[/name]–I had honestly forgotten about this one, but I love it
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]–but I think this risks becoming trendy
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]–this name always seems tongue-twistery to me
[name]Pearl[/name]–I adore this as well

Maybe not…
[name]Agnes[/name]–I like this name, but I’m not sure an actual kid should have the name yet.
[name]Dorothy[/name]–I know people on these boards have successfully used [name]Dorothy[/name], but it is a clunkier name than [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Enid[/name]–Another name I like, but that still has an old-lady sound
Eleuthera
[name]Sybil[/name]–I only put this on this list because I don’t actually like it
[name]Winifred[/name]–I think [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is prettier

Other suggestions:
[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Lorraine[/name]
[name]Marilla[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name][/quote]

Thanks for your reply! I haven’t thought of [name]Amaryllis[/name] and will run it by dh. [name]Do[/name] you think it’s too matchy with [name]Beatrice[/name]? We love [name]Alice[/name] but think the endings are too similar. I love [name]Celeste[/name] but dh does not. [name]Eulalie[/name] is neat but I’m not sure about using another E name. I know I listed a few but I’d have to REALLY love it to use it. [name]Lorraine[/name] is too similar to [name]Eleanor[/name] imo. I want to love [name]Marilla[/name] because I love [name]Millie[/name] but it makes me think of Gorilla and dh doesn’t like [name]Millie[/name] as much as I do anyway. [name]Philippa[/name] is nice and [name]Pippa[/name] is very cool!

I did notice the EA in both names. I think it’s especially neat because those were my initials before I got married! It was a happy coincidence. I’d love to continue it, but I haven’t found another name with EA that I love. I think it’s neat but I don’t want to pick a name just to continue it. [name]Dorothea[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] are my favorites but dh isn’t a huge fan of either. Thank you!

Thanks for your reply! If you have a minute, I’d love to know what you really dislike about [name]Clementine[/name]. Is it the sound of the name? The orange factor? Something else? What do you think of [name]Josephine[/name]? Thanks again!

Any new ideas/reflections?

[name]Agatha[/name]- Too harsh imo.
[name]Agnes[/name]- eh, its alright but not my favorite
[name]Augusta[/name]- I dont find this very appealig either. I love [name]August[/name] and [name]Augustin[/name] for boys though. [name]Augusta[/name] somehow feels masculine to me.
[name]Clementine[/name]- I dont care for the this. I seems a little overdone to me. I wouldnt want to live with the name [name]Clementine[/name] either. I dont think every little girl can pull this off.
[name]Dorothy[/name]- I prefer [name]Dorothea[/name], it is far more romantic and eliminates the wizard of [name]Oz[/name] association.
[name]Edith[/name]- I really like [name]Edith[/name], its sweet.
Eleuthera- Nope, not ready for a comeback
[name]Enid[/name]- eh, dont like sounds harsh
[name]Florence[/name]- This i like. [name]Flossie[/name] is a cute nn
[name]Imogen[/name]- I just dont see the appeal. It sounds to akward and clunky to my ears.
[name]Pearl[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] seriously gorgeous. [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] literally pulls at my heart strings.
[name]Sybil[/name]- Nope. All I think about is the lady with multiple personalities.
[name]Winifred[/name]- I dont like the [name]FRED[/name] part.

Others:
[name]Willamina[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]

I love old fashioned names as well.

[name]Agatha[/name] - I think it’s womanly but can be girly too. I’m really starting to like this name a lot.
[name]Agnes[/name] - Not a fan.
[name]Augusta[/name] - It’s okay.
[name]Clementine[/name] - So cute.
[name]Dorothy[/name] - I love it. It’s one of my favorites and I always get raised eyebrows when I mention it. I think of [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] but my mom thinks of the [name]Golden[/name] Girls.
[name]Edith[/name] - It’s growing on me.
Eleuthera - Not bad.
[name]Enid[/name] - I don’t care for this one.
[name]Florence[/name] - I think of [name]Florence[/name] [name]Henderson[/name].
[name]Imogen[/name] - It’s okay.
[name]Pearl[/name] - Cute
[name]Sybil[/name] - Cute
[name]Winifred[/name] - [name]Do[/name] not like but love the nn [name]Winnie[/name].