"Old lady cool" or just...old lady.

I’m thinking of using the name [name]Nadine[/name] as a middle name, after someone important to me, but everyone I tell says it sounds like a grandma’s name. What do you think? Is it cool in a vintage way or just too old lady-ish?

For me, I think it depends on the pronunciation. When it’s nah-[name]DEEN[/name], I think it sounds pretty cool, but with nay-[name]DEEN[/name], I guess it has more of a geriatric vibe to me. I love vintage names so much, so maybe if I hear [name]Nadine[/name] more, it will grow on me. :slight_smile:

Now that I think about it, if I knew a young [name]Nadine[/name], I bet it would instantly feel fresh to me. :slight_smile:

Have you thought about using [name]Nadine[/name] in the middle?

Best wishes to you!

I like it! I don’t see old lady at all. It actually sounds spunky and cute. If you’re worried about it there’s always [name]Nadia[/name]?

I think it is vintagey cool! :slight_smile:

Lots of people use old lady names for middle names because they are honoring a loved one. I think that’s a great thing to do. [name]Nadine[/name] doesn’t really sound old lady to me and it sounds nice with a lot of names. You could also use a variation of the name, like [name]Nadina[/name]. It might sound a bit more modern and it still can honor your special person.

I would never have thought of this as an old lady name…at all!

I think [name]Nadine[/name] is fine, it doesnt make me think of an old lady at all. I think its especially fine as a middle. But i agree with the other poster who said if you are uncomfortable with it, you could definitely go with [name]Nadia[/name]- either way, I think its a great middle name choice that is original! :slight_smile:

My husband and I were just discussing this name the other day as a possible first name! I think it grows on you and becomes prettier the more you see it and say it!

I like it! Maybe I have weird taste, but I don’t think it’s old lady-ish at all. Especially for a middle name. I actually had [name]Nadia[/name] & [name]Nadine[/name] on my longer list to use in some way, but DH vetoed it early on.

I know two Nadines only and they’re in their mid 30s .It always struck me as a beautiful name.It dosen’t sound old at all,instead it’s strong and stylish imo.Good luck.

I like [name]Nadine[/name] a lot. Great up front or in the middle.

Definitely not an old lady name! I know a young [name]Nadine[/name] (nah-deen) and it’s a really cool name. You should use it if you like it! I also really like [name]Nadia[/name], too.

I think Nah-[name]DEEN[/name] is very pretty :slight_smile:

It’s on the older side but it’s not all that common so it shouldn’t be strongly tied to that association. I’ve always thought it was kind of cute.

I think of a 50ish woman, not senior citizen, but I think it’s a pretty cool name!

I like it, especially if it’s important to you to honor your loved one. I don’t think it’s too old lady at all and like others have said the more you hear it the more fresh it sounds.

I loooove the name [name]Nadine[/name], way better then [name]Nadina[/name] [name]IMO[/name].

I made an account [name]JUST[/name] to reply to this post! I was searching for my name and came across this message board post.

Anyway, my name is [name]Nadine[/name] (pronounced preferably Nah-[name]Deen[/name], but I get a lot of people saying Nay-deen which is inevitable and only a minor annoyance, really).

I’m 22 (born in 1987) and growing up I hated my name because it wasn’t popular. I knew no other Nadines and to this day, I only know two other Nadines in person (one is a cousin overseas, but I came first, and she was sort of named because of me). But now I’m so happy that I don’t know any other Nadines! I can’t imagine being a [name]Jessica[/name] or [name]Ashley[/name] and knowing every other person with your same name. To me, it seems weird. Plus with my name, I always know it’s me they are calling and not some other [name]Nadine[/name]! But I have had a couple of surprises in the supermarkets before with another [name]Nadine[/name] answering.

No one has ever told me I had an old lady name. I know it is but it’s not “frumpy” like some other older names. I usually get compliments about my name when I say it to people. And the boys seem to find it really cute because it’s not every day you get to possibly go on a date with a [name]Nadine[/name]. An [name]Ashley[/name] or or [name]Jennifer[/name] is another story.

Anyway, just my two cents!

• xoxo
    [name]Nadine[/name]!

Fantastic a real life [name]Nadine[/name] :wink: I love it for a first or middle name. I’ve never thought of it as an old lady name. I picture a dark haired, intelligent, and beautiful woman.