Old Lady Name Crush

What do you guys think of [name]Mildred[/name] [name]Maude[/name]?

I love [name]Maude[/name] but I’m thinking it sounds even more clunky with the two pronounced d’s of [name]Mildred[/name] (three d’s in a combo sounds choppy). I would prefer [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Maude[/name] myself as the l’s in [name]Millicent[/name] soften [name]Maude[/name] considerably.

I second [name]Mischa[/name]. [name]Millicent[/name] is much prettier. [name]Mildred[/name] just makes me think of mildew. Honestly though, I would prefer both names to be paired with something more modern (or at the very least, not so “old lady”) to give them both a fresher feel.

I like them both, but don’t think they make a good combo.

I like [name]Mildred[/name] with the following middle names:

[name]Mildred[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name] [name]Leonora[/name]

And [name]Maude[/name] with the following

[name]Maude[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Maude[/name] [name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Maude[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Maude[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]

I think it’s too much, even for the most dedicated followers of the old lady chic trend. I think the world as large is not quite ready for either [name]Mildred[/name] or [name]Maude[/name] and certainly not together.

Having said that, I myself love [name]Maude[/name], and get a roaring 20s kind of feel from it. I think it makes a cool middle name, but I just wouldn’t use it up front. And while I do love lots of old lady names ([name]Albertine[/name] and [name]Edith[/name] anyone?) even I can’t muster any love for [name]Mildred[/name].

I think the flow is nicer on [name]Maude[/name] [name]Mildred[/name], but I like both names and think it’s a lovely choice.

I really like them both- [name]Maude[/name] especially, but I don’t like them together…unless as a sibset in that case it’s so cute it kills me.

But [name]Mildred[/name] [name]Maude[/name] doesn’t work imo. I don’t always hate alliteration but I don’t like it here.

I think it’s too much with both [name]Mildred[/name] and [name]Maude[/name] together. [name]Maude[/name] is cute, it’s [name]Judd[/name] Apatow’s daughter’s name and I think it’s darling. [name]Maude[/name] would also be cool as a middle name. I can’t get behind [name]Mildred[/name]. [name]Millicent[/name] is a nice substitute, as previously mentioned. [name]Millie[/name] is an adorable nickname.

i don’t know if i see [name]Mildred[/name] working well, even though the retro thing is in. it’s just really unattractive-sounding to me. one or the other with something fresher (either before or after) would be easier on the ears and eyes.

There is nothing cute about these names…they are old and moldy to me…and should stay in the mothballs locked in the big OLD trunk…yuck

dislike both. [name]Don[/name]'t find them to be cute old lady names.

I’ve loved [name]Maude[/name] forever, but I’m not on-board with [name]Mildred[/name] (despite really liking old lady names). I’d like to echo a preference for [name]Millicent[/name] :slight_smile:

I love [name]Maude[/name] and I even like alliteration in most cases but I’m not a fan of [name]Mildred[/name] even tho I generally really like old lady names. I’d like to echo the echo for [name]Millicent[/name]. Plus Milliecent has the adorable nn choice of [name]Millie[/name] which I love!!

I agree completely with [name]Mischa[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Maude[/name], BTW!

love both! They remind me of the show Worst Witch! [name]Mildred[/name] is so cute and so is [name]Maude[/name] as names.

Ditto.

[name]Maude[/name] is great (I worked with a gorgeous young French lady called [name]Maude[/name], about 10 years ago, and have loved it ever since).

[name]Mildred[/name] belongs with [name]Gladys[/name], [name]Beryl[/name] and [name]Joan[/name]. It sounds like mildew and should stay dead and buried.

[name]Mildred[/name]…not so much. I do know an 8 year old named [name]Maude[/name]. It’s never seemed like a pretty name to me; very at odds with this bright little girl.