Lately I’ve been drawn to:

[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Eudora[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Margery[/name]
[name]Francine[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]

Think any of these are ready for a comeback?

[name]Ah[/name], yes, I do love old lady names.

[name]Dorothy[/name]-- I like this one. If I could meet a really cute [name]Dorothy[/name] who would give me something to think of instead of ruby slippers, I’d be sold.

[name]Eudora[/name] caught my eye on [name]Susan[/name]'s [name]Effie[/name] list. (And for me it has personal meaning-- I used to live down the street from [name]Eudora[/name] Welty!)

[name]Elsa[/name]-- pretty, but I like [name]Ilsa[/name] better.

[name]Margery[/name]-- I know someone who just named her baby [name]Margery[/name], but all I hear is “margarine.”

[name]Francine[/name]–too cute. Strikes me as sassy and fun. [name]Francie[/name] as a nn is to die for. :slight_smile:

[name]Philippa[/name]-- kind of stuffy for my tastes, but lends itself to fun nicknames like [name]Pippa[/name]

[name]Sylvia[/name]-- much prefer the French [name]Sylvie[/name]; it’s dainty and sweet.

As for comebacks, I say bring it!

I think they’re all ready for a come back!! I like them all

[name]Dorothy[/name] is a family name so I’ve been thinking of the [name]Dora[/name]/[name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Eudora[/name] names. Too funny about [name]Margery[/name]”it does sound like Margarine, doesn’t it!?

I love old lady names! Strong, beautiful, pretty and I can picture them on any age, since most of those old ladies were once babies too. I lilke the really, really old ladies myself, [name]Maud[/name] being my favorite of them all.

[name]Dorothy[/name] - I prefer [name]Dorothea[/name] but think [name]Dorothy[/name]'s ready for a comeback too. She’s more spritely than elegant but prettty too!

[name]Eudora[/name] - I like the U sound, so [name]Eudora[/name]'s a winner for me, even though I generally dislike -[name]Dora[/name]- I have a 4 year old and I’m surrounded by [name]Dora[/name] the explorer stuff. Funny too, [name]Pandora[/name]'s on my list and it’s got the [name]Dora[/name] sound, so I buried it in the middle.

[name]Elsa[/name] - [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Elsa[/name]! I think she’s sweet and gentle. The fact that I have a dear friend with the name is not what made me love it. I just do.

[name]Margery[/name] - is on my own lists. I love her sweetly gentle feel and her medieval tone. I’d nickname mine [name]Daisy[/name]. So, yes, I utterly adore [name]Margery[/name].

[name]Francine[/name] - is too “[name]Arthur[/name]” for me. But then my kid watches the cartoon. I agree [name]Francie[/name] is gorgeous but I’d rather see [name]Frances[/name] or [name]Francesca[/name]. [name]Francine[/name] feels very 70 year old lady to me, aybe because I know three in their 70’s. Not fresh enough for me, [name]Francine[/name].

[name]Philippa[/name] - I adore [name]Philippa[/name]! I think she’s beautiful and upbeat. And [name]Pippa[/name]'s cute as long as she stays out of [name]Sweden[/name] (where’s it’s nasty slang). If I had a [name]Philippa[/name], she’d be [name]Philippa[/name] in full most of the time, I love saying it!

[name]Sylvia[/name] - Too draggy, heavy and slow for me. I prefer sprightly [name]Sylvie[/name], which is a full name in her own right. Sadly, most of my fellow Americans don’t see it that way. [name]Sylvia[/name]'s okay but I’m not nearly as fond of her as I am the others on this list. Sorry.

[name]Dorothy[/name]- I’m really warming up to this one, but not for my child

[name]Eudora[/name]- Not a fan of the “eu” part, but do like [name]Dora[/name], which is actually a family name. With [name]Cora[/name] regaining favor, I can only assume that [name]Dora[/name] will follow.

[name]Elsa[/name]- I knew a lovely [name]Elsa[/name] growing up, and do like this name as an alternative to [name]Ella[/name]. I associate it with the Sound of [name]Music[/name], but as it’s my favorite movie (yes, I’m a dork), that’s not a bad thing.

[name]Margery[/name]- This name has always made me think of margerine, although I think the French version is pretty.

[name]Francine[/name]- Not a a fan of the “ine” sound, which feels and sounds dated to me. (I love [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name], though!)

[name]Philippa[/name]- I really like [name]Philippa[/name], as well as it’s nickname, [name]Pippa[/name].

[name]Sylvia[/name]- Hands down, my least favorite name. I’m not sure if it’s because I think of saliva when I hear it, or because I don’t like the “ilv” sound (probably a combo), but I really dislike this name.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Elsa[/name]! I think it would be so adorable for a little girl. Very pretty!

I love [name]Margery[/name] but spelled [name]Marjorie[/name] or [name]Marjory[/name]. At least this spelling with the j instead of g takes away the visual resemblance to margarine.

I’ve been really drawn to [name]Eugenia[/name] lately.

I’m a pretty cute [name]Dorothy[/name], if I do say so myself! I was named after my grandmother and love my name. I do get an occasional [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] reference but not super frequently. I’ve gone by [name]Dot[/name], Dar and D over the years but I use [name]Dorothy[/name] when referring to myself. I think it also depends on the pronunciation. I don’t like Door-othy, I prefer Dar-athy, which is a more east coast pronuciation.

[name]Eudora[/name] - not my style really
[name]Elsa[/name] - love [name]Elsa[/name]!
[name]Margery[/name] - super cute. I like the [name]Majorie[/name] spelling better though.
[name]Francine[/name] - I like [name]Francesca[/name] better
[name]Philippa[/name] - Yes! [name]Madeleine[/name] L’Engle has a protagonist named [name]Philippa[/name] who goes by [name]Flip[/name] in one of her books
[name]Sylvia[/name] - Very pretty, almost ethereal