Old, Roman, Greek names please

[name]Hi[/name], hubby and I seem to be going round and round in circles after a girls name for ages now. Boys name was picked in my first ten or so suggestions, but hubby just does not like any girls names, even ones I don’t like, I have just read him lists of names and no, no, no, is all I hear.

There are a few that he seems to like, well he shrugs and says hmmm maybe but that’s the extend of his likingness.

The only names I have suggested he kinda likes is,
[name]Cleo[/name],
And [name]Esther[/name]

So I am after either more names in this same sort of style, or middle names I could put with these ( middle names would not have to be from the same genre). [name]Esther[/name] was my favorite biblical story growing up, so it has meaning for me more then liking the sound, [name]Cleo[/name] I like the sound of and meaning, ‘[name]Glory[/name] to the Father’.

Our last name is Whitefield and I am just at my wits end with the hubby, help me PLEASE! Or I am just going to distract him and fill out the birth certificate with out him.

HELP!!

When you say [name]Roman[/name] or Greek names, what exactly are you asking for? [name]Do[/name] you want names they would have ie [name]Augustus[/name], [name]Nero[/name], [name]Alexandria[/name], names stemming from words ie [name]Acacia[/name] (thorn), [name]Ajax[/name] (warrior), [name]Carissa[/name] (beloved), or names from histories/myths ie [name]Athena[/name], [name]Juno[/name], [name]Odysseus[/name]?

The kinds of names I think are similar to [name]Esther[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name] are from around the Great Depression - [name]Marlena[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Coral[/name], [name]Willa[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name]… Old [name]Roman[/name] and Greek names, however, are more like [name]Lucretia[/name], [name]Antonia[/name], [name]Crisanta[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Athena[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Amarantha[/name], and [name]Xanthe[/name].

The Greek names that I know are [name]Lois[/name], Xanthi, [name]Zo[/name]ë, [name]Niki[/name], [name]Thera[/name], [name]Iona[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Drew[/name], [name]Lana[/name], [name]Lexie[/name] and [name]Phaedra[/name].

I like [name]Phaedra[/name]! prn [name]FAY[/name]-drah

For [name]Roman[/name] namens I love the name [name]Livia[/name].

[name]Esther[/name] is Persian, meaning “star” or “myrtle leaf”. And [name]Cleo[/name] is a diminutive form of [name]Cleopatra[/name] in English, and [name]Cleopatra[/name] is originally Greek, meaning “Her father’s renown”.

[name]Esther[/name] is a beautiful name, and since it has special meaning to you, I’d go with that. Are you looking for other Biblical women’s names, maybe? Mostly their names are Hebrew in origin, but some come from a base of Greek, Latin, Arabic, or Persian.

Also, if your husband is being completely unhelpful and only shooting down names you offer, get him to offer some of his own. Hand him a list of the top 100 or 200 or whatever names (or a baby name book) and ask him to highlight the ones he likes. Then you do the same, and see where you end up. If you’re not too far along in your pregnancy, it might just be too early for him to really contemplate names. Women tend to realize the reality of a little human inside them much sooner than men do. My husband, for example, just shrugs and can’t say anything except, “Um, I guess” when we talk about names. It hasn’t really “clicked” with him that he’s going to be a father in a few months. It “clicked” with me the day I saw the HPT turn positive. If he’s really being unhelpful, let it rest for a while, then come back to it in a few weeks and see what he says. Often, our men need more time to process an impending baby before they can come to terms with the thought of naming it.

That being said, other Biblical names:

[name]Rebekah[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]/[name]Sarai[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]/[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name]
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Judith[/name]
[name]Magdalene[/name]/[name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]

[name]Just[/name] a heads up, [name]Cleo[/name] itself just means “glory; or celebrated.” [name]Cleopatra[/name] means “glory to the father.” Without the extra -patra suffix, the meaning of the name changes. I just wanted to point that out since meanings seem important to you. I really like [name]Cleo[/name].

You might also like [name]Hadassah[/name].

Greek names: [name]Nidia[/name], [name]Althea[/name], [name]Dionne[/name]. These are short ones.

I observed you mentioned long names as examples of [name]Roman[/name] names, I know some italian ones, not sure if they are also roman, but maybe [name]Antonella[/name], [name]Analissa[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Arcelia[/name], [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Sandra[/name], [name]Paolina[/name], [name]Simonetta[/name].

Oh thank you so much for pointing out about the cleo / cleopatra difference, I didn’t know, I dont think it matters much as [name]Glory[/name] can still be a term of worship, name meanings are very important to me.
I like [name]Naomi[/name], lilana, [name]Xanthe[/name] and [name]Hadassa[/name], hubby said No, No, No, NO!!!

GRRRRRRRRRR, remind me to pack a frying pan so I can knock him out when it comes to the birth certificate!

Ilithyia ([name]Elle[/name] - ith - ee - ah) is my new favourite Latinized Greek name. It means “she who comes to aid” or “relieve” or “the readycomer”. This was the name of the Greek goddess of childbirth and midwifery. Also, there are loads of cute nn that can be derived from it: [name]Lily[/name], [name]Tillie[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], [name]Ellie[/name].

I was thinking of [name]Elysia[/name] for you - it’s kind of unique but all its sounds are familiar, so it sounds like ‘a real name’ if that is an issue for your husband. [name]Elysia[/name] is related to Elysium, the home of the blessed, which I think is a nice meaning. Good luck:)

I just love Greek and [name]Roman[/name] names, they’re so interesting and unusual, great choice!

Greek Girl Names:

[name]Adrianna[/name]
[name]Alessandra[/name]
[name]Alethea[/name]/[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Alexandria[/name]/[name]Alexandrina[/name]
[name]Alexia[/name]
[name]Amara[/name]
[name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Nyssa[/name]
[name]Cybele[/name]
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Narcissa[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
Evyenia
[name]Aphrodite[/name]
[name]Acacia[/name]
[name]Calandra[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]

[name]Roman[/name] Girl Names:

[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Annia[/name]
[name]Auriel[/name]
[name]Aquilia[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Venus[/name]
[name]Varinia[/name]
[name]Rosalia[/name]

Personal favourites for Greek: [name]Cybele[/name] and [name]Artemis[/name] - Such strong names!
Personal favourites for [name]Roman[/name]: [name]Venus[/name] and [name]Rosalia[/name] - girly, but again strong names!

Good luck!