Older Generations Going by Middle?

I was talking to my mom about family names today, and found out that my (Great) Aunt [name_f]Ann[/name_f] is actually named [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Angeline[/name_f] “[name_f]Ann[/name_f].” I have another great aunt that’s [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] who went by either both names or just [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. My grandmothers (so same generation as my aunts) are [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] “[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]” and [name_f]Mamie[/name_f] [name_f]Lois[/name_f] “[name_f]Lois[/name_f]” and my great grandmother is [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] [name_f]Louella[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f].” They are all older than 80 and from rural areas of the southern US. I was wondering if anybody knows if going by middles (or nicknames of middles) was more normal for the time period or place? I don’t know very many younger people who do, though it could very well be more common than I think. Thoughts? Is there just a higher concentration of this in my family than normal, or was it actually common back then? Anybody have family members that go by their middles or nicknames of their middles?

Yeah, I realized this too. My mother has a half sister that she never met & didn’t find out about her until later in life. We tried searching for her & was told her name was “[name_f]Ann[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]” only to come to find out after relentless searching that her real name was [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. Anyway, my SO also goes by his MN too, hardly anyone knows that it’s not actually his FN. His parents are in their 70’s so, yes, it was a lot more common for older generations.

I’m sure people do it today, I just think it was more common back then. My SO’s parents did it as a compromise, his MN is the maternal grandfather’s & his FN his father’s.

My grandmother was [name_f]Addie[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] but always went by her middle because she hated her first name.
My mother, [name_f]Karen[/name_f] [name_f]Gayle[/name_f], is 67 years old and goes by her middle. Her father liked the rhyming names ( her twin is [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] [name_u]Dale[/name_u]) so that is what he called them growing up. After he was gone my uncle started using [name_m]Ken[/name_m] (still Uncle [name_u]Dale[/name_u] to me) but my mom stuck with [name_f]Gayle[/name_f].
Though I like my middle well enough, I can’t imagine answering to it. Never went by anything other than my first.

My great-grandmother was named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f] but went by [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], or [name_f]Jane[/name_f], almost exclusively. It wasn’t a double-barrelled name, either, like so many [name_f]Mary[/name_f] combos can be. She was born in 1920. She’s the only case in my family that I am pretty familiar with, but there were instances of it further back in my family tree. I don’t know how common it was, generally, though.

I can’t think of anyone I currently know who does this. I’ve seen people post on here occasionally, asking if it would be weird for their child to go by its middle, but that’s about it.