Olin

The name [name]Olin[/name]…There are few boys names I love, but this is one of them.
With the name [name]Owen[/name] skyrocketing, would he be doomed to always saying “It’s [name]Olin[/name] with an ‘L’”?
My DS is [name]Levi[/name], and most other names DH and I like are pretty classic(Top girls: [name]Norah[/name] and [name]Claire[/name]). [name]Will[/name] [name]Olin[/name] fit, or is it too uncommon?

I wouldn’t worry about people saying his name wrong. They certainly will of course, but really it’s hard to avoid. My daughter’s name is [name]Sonia[/name] and she get called [name]Sophia[/name] all the time. It bugs me (the names don’t even have the same number of syllables!) but I don’t regret the choice because of it. I really don’t think you should worry about your new baby’s name fitting with you other children. I come from a family where the names couldn’t be more different (think [name]Jane[/name], [name]Noriko[/name], and [name]Felicia[/name]), but none of us care.

I think [name]Olin[/name] will be fine with [name]Levi[/name] and the the girls names you like. It’s definitely unusual – I’ve never heard it. It actually made me think of Norse god [name]Odin[/name] before I thought of [name]Owen[/name].

I, too thought of [name]Odin[/name] before [name]Owen[/name] (when seeing it in writing). But yeah, out loud [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Olin[/name] are close. You’ll have to correct people. I corrected people with my name my whole life (I’m a [name]Suzanne[/name] that has always been called [name]Susan[/name]). It’s a nuissance at times, but not a big deal. I think it sounds fine with your girl names. As long as you and your husband are comfortable with it, you should use it.

I think [name]Olin[/name] is a really nice name - uncommon but not at all bizarre:)

The only thing I wanted you to have a heads up about is the way your little [name]Olin[/name] will likely pronounce his name. I’m a speech pathologist who works with kids and ‘l’ is a hard sound for little ones to say. Some kids develop the sound early but they aren’t expected to have the ‘l’ sound until they’re about 4. Now, (here’s the kicker) the most common “l” speech mistake kids make is to change the “l” to a “w”…soooooooo “leaf” becomes “weaf,” “lunch” becomes “wunch” and “[name]Olin[/name]” becomes “[name]Owin[/name].”

So when people in the grocery store ask [name]Olin[/name] what his name is, he might say “[name]Owin[/name]” until he’s around 4:) Because you love the name [name]Olin[/name], I don’t think this is a deal breaker…as his mom I would just say “Yep, you’re name is O-lin.” That way you’re setting the record straight for the grocery shopper and exaggerating/modeling the sound for [name]Olin[/name] so that he’ll fix it once he’s old enough to make the /l/ sound.

Too much info?? [name]Hope[/name] this info is helpful and not stressful:)

Go for it! I love the name [name]Olin[/name]. It’s short and strong - like [name]Levi[/name].

I love it! I think names that are uncommon always run the risk of being misheard, but I don’t think it will be big enough of an issue to not use it.

Thanks for the feedback! Advice on the Nameberry boards is the best. I also have a name that needs pronunciation correction all the time, which is why I was concerned. However my name is way complicated, and [name]Olin[/name] barely compares.