Olive - Weird? (Includes a poll!) 🌼

Hey Berries! So, as you may know, Olive is one of my favourite names (perhaps my number 1!!), ever since I was little!! I think it’s sooo cute and sweet and happy. :rainbow: :heartpulse:

I’ve had a lot of mixed feedback on my dear Olive and some of the comments have started to get in my head. A lot of people has said the name is weird and the food connection is strange. Also a lot of Olive Garden comments!

And I know many will argue that it only matters if I love the name. Buuut it’s not me who would have the name, it’s my daughter who would potentially have to put up with folks talking about her name.

So, what I’m asking is… am I overthinking this… is it really a big deal? If you are a parent of/know an Olive please tell me their experiences! And everyone please be totally honest.

Please elaborate if you have time!

• Yes, weird!
  • No, weird didn’t even cross my mind!

0 voters

Thank you guys! I can always count on the berries!

1 Like

So I’m not a parent of an Olive but there’s an Olive at my daughter’s preschool no one raises an eyebrow the name works perfectly well. Olive is lovely!

Also my partner’s niece is Olivia she goes by Olive (I much prefer Olive) and no one raises an eyebrow when her nickname is called.

5 Likes

When I taught preschool I had an [name_f]Olive[/name_f] in my class. For awhile I thought [name_f]Olive[/name_f] was her actual given name but turns out it was a nn for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. In years since I’ve reconnected with her family and she now goes by Olivia…

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s weird at all, especially with the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] (which to me is a downside to using [name_f]Olive[/name_f], which I otherwise love!!)

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a weird name. It does have sort of a ‘quirky vintage’ feel to it but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

This is probably very specific to my age group but my main association with the name is still the character [name_f]Olive[/name_f] from the old [name_f]Disney[/name_f] show Ant Farm, which probably feeds into the quirky vibes. But that show has been off the air for like a decade at this point and I don’t think she’s a bad association regardless.

4 Likes

I absolutely don’t think weird at all (although I am in the UK and it’s higher ranked here). I do a bit of work with kids, I’ve met a couple and no-one bats an eyelid. It’s not my favourite for no better reason than olives are disgusting, but it’s a perfectly wearable name to my mind - I think of [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] Ryan’s daughter in the show The [name_f]Duchess[/name_f], if you’ve seen that? Anyway, ‘weird’ names are becoming more and more of a thing, especially for girls - your kid will be sharing schools and boardrooms with Mavericks and females Jameses. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it’s a touch unusual, it won’t be the most out there name in a room!

3 Likes

I think in the coming years it won’t be weird, it’s very on trend, particularly with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] being so popular, [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is a good alternative people are going for

That being said I had a friend in school (Olivia) who went by [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and I always thought it was weird…also that people would call their child [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] which means ‘Olive’

As a child i didn’t like olives so it was a negative association and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] green made me feel ill (I have weird reactions to certain colours - grey and certain oranges amongst others) so for me Olives were bad and so I was weirded out that people would name their child after them. Also the [name_f]Olive[/name_f] in [name_f]Ella[/name_f] Enchanted (my preteen obsession) didn’t endear me to the name.

But knowing now that Olives/olive trees are also a symbol of peace makes me feel slightly happier about both [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] as I’m very into floriography

Being from the U.K. I hadn’t heard of [name_f]Olive[/name_f] Garden until [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Watson[/name_u] mentioned it in her press tour surrounding perks of being a wallflower and still had no real idea what it was until No Body, No Crime. I have since been one time. [name_f]Olive[/name_f] Garden was great (but pricey) - a positive association for me now.

There’s always [name_m]Olave[/name_m] you could go for if you’re really concerned

1 Like

I don’t think that [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is weird at all!! It’s a perfectly normal (and lovely!!) name, and I think she fits perfectly with some of your other faves!! (Olive and Willa?! Swoon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :green_heart:)

Truthfully, the first person I picture when I think of [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is the cute little girl from the movie [name_m]Little[/name_m] Miss [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f] - which I honestly think is a good association!!

I didn’t think of [name_f]Olive[/name_f] Garden at all, and honestly even if people do I don’t think it’ll be weird (People named [name_u]Max[/name_u] or TJ usually don’t get a TJ [name_m]Maxx[/name_m] association, do they?)

Overall, I think [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is a fabulous pick for you and not weird at all!! She’s very lovely and you really can’t go wrong with her :slight_smile:

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] vibes: :herb: :sunflower: :lady_beetle: :olive: :womans_hat: :sparkles: :nest_with_eggs:

3 Likes

To be honest, i strongly prefer it as a nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] is wonderful :hugs::heart:

1 Like

Seconding these points!

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s weird - it’s a cute, vintage, sparky, little name which packs a punch. Plus, it has nickname options, like [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Livvy[/name_f], which a child could use. It also ranks in the top 100 where I am too, so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not weird for an Aussie over here. We don’t have [name_f]Olive[/name_f] Garden (had to look it up) so no connection there. I agree with above that it has a sort of quirky, hippy, vintage girl vibe (Drew Barrymore calling her daughter [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is bang on for me). I see it as an artistic, quietly confident, sweet and precocious name. I like it’s tailored quality too (like [name_f]Maren[/name_f] and [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] etc).

I probably wouldn’t pick it myself, I prefer [name_f]Livia[/name_f] and just [name_f]Liv[/name_f], but it wouldn’t make me double take in the slightest. :ribbon:

1 Like

I know two little Olives! I thought it was weird at first, but after almost a decade I have definitely gotten used to it as a name (and it actually didn’t take even a fraction of that time – people adapt very quickly to new names in most instances.) I still don’t love the name, but I don’t find it weird. The food (:olive:) is what originally turned me off the name. The restaurant never once crossed my mind until you mentioned it.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I am in the US if that makes any difference to you!

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is a beautiful name and not at all weird. The strongest association I have is with the colour. I can’t remember meeting any Olives IRL though I may have done! The character in [name_m]Little[/name_m] Miss [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f] is a really good association, the [name_f]Olive[/name_f] in that movie is a sweet lil thing!

1 Like

So, the only problem I have with it personally is how common its relative names/how rising in popularity it is merely because I prefer less common names myself.

But if you like, I don’t think there’s anything intrinsically weird or off-putting about it.

1 Like

People have mentioned the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], but [name_f]Olive[/name_f] itself is very trendy, being in the top 100 of four countries, and in the top 175 in the US. It’s hard to call a name that’s so popular ‘weird’ in any sense.

2 Likes

@smileymiley No, i don’t think it’s weird at all! I love [name_f]Olive[/name_f], it’s so cute. I’m not a parent. But my grandma had a friend whose name was [name_f]Olive[/name_f] nn. [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]. :smiling_face::face_holding_back_tears: If I remember correctly, they were neighbors in the neighborhood she lived in for almost her entire adult life. So I grew up hearing the name [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and never once thought it was weird.

I hope this helps!

:butterfly::white_heart:

1 Like

It’s not weird to me :slight_smile: [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_u]Reese[/name_u], [name_m]Frank[/name_m], etc are all also the names of foodstuffs and they are fine!

Personally, I know four Olives aged over 50, plus a tween and a toddler [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. [name_u]An[/name_u] Instagrammer I follow has a little [name_f]Olive[/name_f], too. Plus one of [name_u]Drew[/name_u] Barrymore’s daughters is [name_f]Olive[/name_f], and indeed her sister is [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] :hotdog:, haha :smile:

So I think it’s only gaining popularity (and therefore recognition and “acceptance” as an ordinary name) at the moment. It has grown on me as I’ve seen younger Olives popping up. As a child I will admit I didn’t like the idea of it as a name, picturing a literal olive every time :olive:, but now I can see how it’s sort of cute! I do prefer it to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - especially since [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is so popular.

If she really disliked it, she could always tell the white lie that her name is [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], which no one would bat an eyelid at. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], or even [name_f]Eve[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Olive[/name_f]! Not weird at all. I know two, and neither of them seem to have any problems with their name, they both love it! I didn’t actually know of [name_f]Olive[/name_f] Garden until the song no body, no crime by [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m]!

2 Likes