Oliver: nn's?

What are some other nicknames for [name]Oliver[/name] aside from [name]Ollie[/name]? Not that i don’t like [name]Ollie[/name] :slight_smile: [name]Just[/name] can’t really think of any…Thanks so much guys!

I can’t really think of any that aren’t too feminine, a food, or both…

Oll
Liver (just kidding!)
[name]Liv[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
Iv
Oller
[name]Ver[/name]
[name]Olla[/name]

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a young [name]Oliver[/name] called anything but [name]Oliver[/name]. If you desire a nickname, you either get used to [name]Ollie[/name], maybe [name]Oly[/name] (rhymes with Holy), a Scandinavian name or nickname of [name]Olaf[/name] or [name]Olav[/name] (Dearest, please see this and help?). [name]Olaf[/name] is related to [name]Oliver[/name], so it’s not that huge of a stretch. If you don’t like those, you can call him anything you want, like, uh… [name]Jerry[/name] or [name]Sam[/name], as in, [name]Hi[/name], my name is [name]Oliver[/name], but everyone calls me [name]Sam[/name]. I know a very few people with nicknames that are in no way related to their actual name. I prefer a valid nickname, like [name]Ollie[/name] or a distinctly unnatural one, like [name]Sam[/name], rather than some kind of illogical stretch to pull a name like [name]Leo[/name] out of [name]Oliver[/name] because they could spell [name]Lio[/name] if the mixed up some of the letters. That smacks of pretentiousness and indecision to me, either name him [name]Leo[/name] or call him something totally out of the way, a real friendly nickname like [name]Steve[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Max[/name].

While I was ranting a bit, I thought of Ovie, rhymes with stove-y, and I don’t think it sounds great. It’s not [name]Ollie[/name], but it reminds me of the sort of nickname that are usually given to the comic relief character in a show involving the police - the clumsy sidekick who can’t chase a criminal because he tied his shoe to his chair and falls on his face instead, or spills jelly from his sandwich on the evidence, makes a face, hear the tuba sound effects, that’s who Ovie is. Also, I made it up, so I don’t think it counts as “valid,” but it’s also not that far of a stretch. Ultimately, it’s not interesting enough in a positive way to consider.

I think [name]Oliver[/name] is just [name]Oliver[/name].

i’ve seen/read somewhere (can’t seem to remember where now!) that an old medieval nn for oliver was noll. i really like that. i don’t see the connection, but maybe that was lost through the language over time?

First of all, I don’t think a nn is necessary. I really like [name]Oliver[/name].
Other possibilities:
[name]Ollie[/name]
[name]Lee[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]

[name]Noll[/name] or [name]Nollie[/name] can be a nn. See this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[name]Oliver[/name]