Olivia - your thoughts please and a Poll.

See the results of this poll: Olivia

Respondents: 27 (This poll is closed)

• YES I would suggest using this name despite it’s popularity.: 17 (63%)
  • NO I would NOT suggest using this name.: 10 (37%)

I really like [name]Olivia[/name] but I’m pretty sure it’s popular just about everywhere! I live in NZ and here at school we have so many Olivias that we’ve given up calling them [name]Olivia[/name] W and [name]Olivia[/name] B so we use their first and middles together, [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Anne[/name] for example.

Having said this though, a name’s popularity doesn’t put me off it at all. If I loved [name]Olivia[/name] I would name my daughter that regardless and be prepared for another [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Kate[/name] amongst all the others.

I think it’s a great name and have friends called [name]Olivia[/name] who we call [name]Ollie[/name] and [name]Liv[/name]. [name]Liv[/name] would be my favourite nickname, it’s cute and sassy:)

So I say if you love it, use it!

I second [name]Charlie[/name], agreeing that if you love it, that’s what matters. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Popular names will always changed. I named my first a name that didn’t hit the popularity charts in any recent years…and so far, I’ve seen, like, 20 people post it as a possibility. And that’s just here!

I love the name [name]Olivia[/name]. I would have used it, but the SO didn’t want to! I lost that fight! (And he lost the fight to use [name]Ethan[/name]! :P)

I dislike it, I prefer [name]Olive[/name] or [name]Olivine[/name] or [name]Livia[/name].

Me, too! I love [name]Olivia[/name] so much.

My husband brought up a great point. He asked how would I feel about [name]Olivia[/name] if I didn’t know how popular it was. When we chose the name [name]Kira[/name], we didn’t search out it’s popularity we just knew we loved it. If I pretended I didn’t know how popular it was, it would be in my top 2. The other name being [name]Ruby[/name]. I of course do know and knowing is what is causing my hesitation.

Oh Disa I love [name]Ruby[/name] more!! So much more! [name]Kira[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] sound gorgeous together:) Is [name]Ruby[/name] DH approved?

It’s all about love, I say follow your heart. [name]Olivia[/name] is a beautiful name, if you are happy to let the concern re popularity go. I didn’t know that [name]Jacquelyn[/name]/ine was popular till my daughter got to school and there were three in her class at age 5 but later it evened out and since then I have seldom heard the name. I still love her name it would have been a shame not to use it.

wI also love the name [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Livia[/name] and having named my daughter a popular name [name]Sarah[/name] (and agonising over it’spopularity too)I still would highly recommend just following your instincts .At the end of the day she will be YOUR [name]Olivia[/name] and will have nothing to do with the others be it 1 or 1000 of them.Also who’s to say [name]Ruby[/name] won’t be just as popular say next year or the year after.For example in the rep. of [name]Ireland[/name] where I live I knowof 3 Rubys under 2 and I know of only one [name]Olivia[/name] who is 8 so it’s not a universally popular name.best of luck disa.

Thanks everyone. It really helps to see if others would use a name they loved despite popularity.

[name]Charlie[/name] - I do love [name]Ruby[/name] very much. I also love our other names too. I asked my husband if there was one or two names he liked from our girls list more than the others. He said he really liked them all the same and thought maybe when he saw her he’d know which name felt right. Of course there is no her or he to speak of right now. I guess we’ll have to get a bunch of puppies name them :slight_smile:

If you love the name [name]Olivia[/name], then GO WITH IT! Who cares about how supposedly popular it is? We named our dd [name]Emily[/name]! We love the name more than any others, and you know what? There are NO other [name]Emily[/name]'s her age in our neighborhood, we have 2 [name]Valerie[/name]'s and 2 [name]Jackie[/name]'s and 3 [name]Katherine[/name]'s!
Go with your heart. Best of luck to you in your name search!! :slight_smile:

My goddaughter has a sister named [name]Olivia[/name] and EVERYONE calls her [name]Ollie[/name] - she’s 4.

I also have a family friend who’s named [name]Olivia[/name] (she’s 17, I think) and she is always just called [name]Olivia[/name]. Her sisters [name]Stephanie[/name] and [name]Amanda[/name] are called by their full names as well. :slight_smile:

I love both [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name]. I think [name]Ruby[/name] is going to get pretty darn popular, too. [name]Olivia[/name] is a great name because it has four nn’s: [name]Ollie[/name], [name]Livy[/name], [name]Liv[/name], and [name]Livia[/name]. That way, if there are a bunch of Olivias around, she can be one of the nn’s. On the other hand, [name]Ruby[/name] doesn’t have any nn’s, but I really love how strong and sassy it is. I think you would be happy with either name. I would prefer [name]Olivia[/name], because it is more my style. I love the nn [name]Ollie[/name]. [name]Ollie[/name] sounds kind of sassy, too.