Olivia?

So for years before I met my husband my baby girl name was [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. Only a few months into dating my then boyfriend, now husband and I discussed names and he too loved [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. About 6 months ago a close friend of his named their baby [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] curious if other people think it’s ok to go ahead and name our baby [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] if it is a girl or if we should suck it up and choose something else.

P.S. the only two other names I love ([name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]) my husband does not like

I’m usually a firm believer that if a close friend or a relative uses a name then it’s out. However, there is a part of me that thinks if you love a name, use it. Kids grow up and move on. Your maybe-[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] may never be more than a passing acquaintance to their [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

Personally I’d choose a different name. I am not into ‘different names’ but to me it is important at least when she is born that to me her name is unique to HER. (I chose a name that is quite common where I live but I personally did not know anyone else of that name). It would bother me like I was copying. It would also bother me if a friend named their baby the same name as my baby. If they asked if it was ok I would say it was-just because that is me and I would not be able to say how much it upset me. But it WOULD bother me.

That’s the other thing is when I originally chose [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], I only knew one [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and she was my age. I wanted something familiar enough that people would know how to say and spell it but not so common. My first name is [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and there were like 3 Amandas in my grade all throughout my childhood.

Another thing I considered is we have seen this couple (both friend’s of my husband) only twice since they’ve had their baby (she’s about 6 months old). It entirely possible that might lose touch with this couple.

If you want a less common name you’ll have to keep looking. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] was the 4th most popular girls name in the country in 2012, and in Wisconsin it came in at number 3, with 313 girls being named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] last year. I completely see the appeal - lyrical, great nicknames, Shakespearean, would travel well, etc. - but unfortunately, so do a LOT of other parents. The cat’s out of the bag.

What about using [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] instead? Similar but a little unique.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let an acquaintance turn you off of a name you absolutely love. Having said that, [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] has been extremely popular for the past decade. Your daughter would likely be [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] Initial from preschool to nursing home.

I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] it is such a feminine name and so glamorous, lots of charisma with this one, much more than your other choices.

rollo