Olwen/Olewyn

Hello fabulous berries! [name_m]Will[/name_m] you enlighten me about [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Olwyn[/name_f]? What are your immediate associations, thoughts, and feelings?
Which spelling do you prefer? I think I am preferring [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], but would [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] wear better in my y- obsessed American culture?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] the nicknames [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] work well?

There isn’t anything bad about it but it isn’t my style as I think of male names like [name_m]Elwin[/name_m]/[name_m]Elwyn[/name_m] and [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] right away. I love [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] and to get to the nickname [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] I prefer [name_f]Olya[/name_f], [name_f]Olva[/name_f], or [name_f]Olla[/name_f].

I think it’s nice, but no associations spring to mind as it’s such an unusual name. I known an Olfwin “ELF-win” and she’s pretty cool. I prefer the spellin [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] would be fine as nns [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

Google says [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is Welsh for “white footprint,” and that [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is the feminine form while [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] is masculine.

I saw the name once while browsing a name list, so I don’t have any associations beyond “Welsh” and “sounds like Tolkien Elvish” (one of the languages was based on Welsh).