Olwen v Olwyn v Owen

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! I’ve been contemplating these names lately. There are pros and cons to each.

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f]- Pretty, nickname could be [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], it might be mistaken for [name_u]Owen[/name_u] a lot

[name_f]Olwyn[/name_f]- still might be mistaken for [name_u]Owen[/name_u], a little more feminine with the -yn ending, [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] could be a nickname

[name_u]Owen[/name_u]- Very familiar name, some might assume it’s a boy’s name bc the name is so popular for boys? Still could use [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] as a nickname

What’s your favorite and why?

1 Like

-yn is traditionally masculine in Welsh, so it definitely doesn’t look more feminine to me.

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is what I would choose.
If you’re considering [name_u]Owen[/name_u] because you actually really like [name_u]Owen[/name_u], use it! If, however, it’s on the table more because you’re concerned [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] would get called [name_u]Owen[/name_u] anyways- I’d say you should choose the name you really love. The mixup may happen but I highly doubt it would be an all-the-time occurence. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is a great name.

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] best! Seems like a more traditional/intuitive spelling to me.

2 Likes

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] feels warm and lovely

1 Like

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

[name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] both read masculine to me.

1 Like

I knew an [name_m]Owyn[/name_m] in college and thought it suited her really well. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is very pretty though, and especially if you plan on using a nickname I wouldn’t worry about people mixing it up with [name_u]Owen[/name_u] if you prefer it.

I’d go for [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]

[name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] just read a bit too masculine to me.

I’ve never heard of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for a girl. I would definitely think boy.

I prefer [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] or [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f]. (The only Olwyns I’ve heard of are women, so it doesn’t seem male to me.)

[name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] read very masculine to me, I would definitely go for [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]

Personally, I like [name_u]Owen[/name_u]. I understand it’s mostly a masculine name, but I could see it as a strong little girl’s name too. It’s really adorable.

The reason I would go with [name_u]Owen[/name_u] over [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] is that not only would it be confused with [name_u]Owen[/name_u], it’s also kind of a mouthful, especially for young children.

Good luck!

I met a little girl named [name_u]Owen[/name_u], and I loved it. She wore it really well. Personally, [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] aren’t my style, but if you prefer those to [name_u]Owen[/name_u], go for it. I think the [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] spelling looks a little more feminine, so I would go that route if it’s the name you truly love!

1 Like

Oo I like this name

I definitely prefer [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]. [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] looks a bit too trendy and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] I’m just not a fan of in general.

1 Like

These are all great names, I think just pick the one you love the most! I agree [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] is a more feminine version & very pretty! [name_f]My[/name_f] sister’s name is Masyn and I’ve always liked the use of “-yn” for girls. If you really like [name_u]Owen[/name_u], I wouldn’t worry about it being a traditional boys name. Boy names for girls is fun & cool in my opinion! If you wanted to use [name_u]Owen[/name_u], you could also spell it [name_m]Owyn[/name_m] to put a feminine twist on it