Olympia, Thisbe.. Other Suggestions?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] found out that we’re having a girl! We have a few name ideas, but I could definitely use some help. Our [name_f]April[/name_f] due date suddenly seems a lot closer!

So far, we really like [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] and [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] these names seem too off the grid? My friend (who has a difficult name to pronounce and spell) suggested that our baby might also get tired of spelling/pronouncing a name like [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f].

I’d also love to hear suggestions for other names that might fit with this style.

Thanks!!

I love both! Honestly, there are so many yooneek names out there now, if you name her something as simple as [name_f]Ava[/name_f] or [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], people will still ask her how it’s spelled or assume it’s something else. [name_m]Just[/name_m] choose the name YOU think is perfect.

Some similar names:
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
Saturnina
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eluned[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]!

Other ideas:
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Isaura[/name_f]
[name_f]Minka[/name_f]
[name_u]Mischa[/name_u]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Zosia[/name_f]
[name_f]Asha[/name_f]
[name_f]Rubina[/name_f]
[name_f]Hester[/name_f]
Olivie
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Priya[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Davina[/name_f]
[name_f]Senna[/name_f]

[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] is a great name! [name_f]Pia[/name_f] as a nn is really sweet too.

Thank you for your replies - nice to hear that [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] and [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] are well received! I’m adding some of these suggestions to the list, too. I especially love [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]!

I [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]! I like [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] too, espeecially with the nickname suggested, [name_f]Pia[/name_f]. [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] sounds so sweet and endearing though. Both are lovely names though.

I prefer [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] to [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]. And [name_f]Pia[/name_f] is a lovely nn! I also love [name_u]Vesper[/name_u].

Some more of my favourite classical names:

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] or [name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clio[/name_f] or [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Hester[/name_f] or [name_f]Hestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] or [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u] or [name_f]Hera[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] or [name_f]Thea[/name_f] or [name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]

[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] & [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] are gorgeous - just divine, both of them. You can’t go wrong either way.

As for the concern of spelling, I really don’t think you should worry too much about it. It seems even the most straightforward [name_f]Emily[/name_f] or [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] needs to be questioned as to spelling nowadays due to the amount of creative/different spellings of common names parents are using of late so it’s not something just for those with ‘different’ names. Also, I’ve grown up with a less than common/obvious name, and often rather than being asked about spelling people just forgo asking and go ahead and misspell it - with a name like [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], due to its rareness, I think most would ask as to spelling without assuming, which I actually think to be a good thing.